First Bike? Honda VLX Shadow Deluxe [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Bike? Honda VLX Shadow Deluxe

ElectricZombie
07-02-2008, 20:38
I'm thinking about buying my first motorcycle to help ease the strain of my 300 mile a week commute. My truck sucks down gas at an amazing rate. I have been considering a new 2007 600cc Honda VLX Shadow Deluxe.

http://www.cyclemax-superstore.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09008295X7K2K2008J9I15I35JPMQ1773R0&veh=37834&pov=745667

The price is $5,099. Is this a decent price? I haven't seen any similiar models locally, so I am unsure if this is reasonable.

Anyone familiar with this particular model? I've been advised that this would be adequate for for a 200lbs rider doing typical highway speeds.

I'm taking the proper motorcycle class in September, but thought that I might go ahead and get the bike early. Any thoughts or safety tips? I'm completely new to motorcycles, and obviously want to approach this in the safest manner possible.

fnfalman
07-03-2008, 08:27
It's a Honda so you can trust that it will run well and reliable. I can't tell you much about the price because I am not familiar with the cruiser market.

As far as safety tips go, I'd suggest that you take the riding course first, get your license and then go bike shopping. You might know by the end of the class what type of motorcycle you would want to own. And if you're a safety conscious person then prepare to invest a good chunk of change (at least $1000 or more) into proper riding gears.

Since that you're going to commute, that means safety AND comfort have to be paramount and that means a $100 helmet is probably not going to cut it, at least not with the comfort factor. So you'd figure anything between $300-600 for a premium helmet.

Since that you're going to commute, you'd probably want some sort of riding apparel that is resistant to various weather conditions and that means an oversuit for comfort and convenience. There are several manufacturers that make these oversuits but really, the standard to be judged by is Aerostitch. Other suits are not as well built and because you would be commuting, therefore exposing yourself to traffic on a regular basis, planning for a nasty spill isn't a bad idea. The Aerostitch suit is built a lot better than other similar suits - figure around $800 for the 'stitch.

You'd need maybe three pairs of gloves: 1-winter pair, 1-summer pair, 1-rain pair. So that's probably $200 or so.

A pair of Gore-Tex lined riding boots would set you back maybe $200-250.

We're not even talking about maintenance & upkeeps for your new ride yet.

Do the math and make sure that it's economical for you to get into motorcycling.

Motorcycles make for economical transportation ONLY if they are your one and only ride. It's not economical to buy a motorcycle to supplement your car/truck/suv/minivan.

Rikki
07-04-2008, 10:14
Not sure I'd buy a brand new bike before I logged some miles on it- sometimes what feels OK in showroom starts to chafe after an hour or so on the road.
I know I save alot of money on gas when I take one of the bikes instead of one of the cars.
Probably need to figure capital investment+ins+tags and see what you'll save-
but don't forget to factor in the "fun factor"...
Need a good helmet for sure...Somewhere between full leathers and flipflops and cut-offs you'll figure the rest out. HAVE FUN!!!
YMMV

GlockRik
07-04-2008, 17:24
Here's what it cost in Corinth, Miss.
Shadow (http://www.yamahadiscountprices.com/hondaonroad.htm#cruiser)

Rik

spdski
07-11-2008, 18:15
It's a Honda so you can trust that it will run well and reliable. I can't tell you much about the price because I am not familiar with the cruiser market.

As far as safety tips go, I'd suggest that you take the riding course first, get your license and then go bike shopping. You might know by the end of the class what type of motorcycle you would want to own. And if you're a safety conscious person then prepare to invest a good chunk of change (at least $1000 or more) into proper riding gears.

Since that you're going to commute, that means safety AND comfort have to be paramount and that means a $100 helmet is probably not going to cut it, at least not with the comfort factor. So you'd figure anything between $300-600 for a premium helmet.

Since that you're going to commute, you'd probably want some sort of riding apparel that is resistant to various weather conditions and that means an oversuit for comfort and convenience. There are several manufacturers that make these oversuits but really, the standard to be judged by is Aerostitch. Other suits are not as well built and because you would be commuting, therefore exposing yourself to traffic on a regular basis, planning for a nasty spill isn't a bad idea. The Aerostitch suit is built a lot better than other similar suits - figure around $800 for the 'stitch.

You'd need maybe three pairs of gloves: 1-winter pair, 1-summer pair, 1-rain pair. So that's probably $200 or so.

A pair of Gore-Tex lined riding boots would set you back maybe $200-250.

We're not even talking about maintenance & upkeeps for your new ride yet.

Do the math and make sure that it's economical for you to get into motorcycling.

Motorcycles make for economical transportation ONLY if they are your one and only ride. It's not economical to buy a motorcycle to supplement your car/truck/suv/minivan.

My Full-face Fulmer Helmet cost me $130, is DOT and Snell approved and is more comfortable than the Arai I used to wear.

I bought some great gloves for $40 and a water-proof tourmaster jacket (with big zip-down vents for when it's hot) on sale at my local shop for $130.

You may have some good boots you like already.

My reason for telling you this... it doesn't have to be so damned expensive.

You want to buy your helmet in person, but for everything else, make sure you look online. www.motorcycle-superstore.com has good deals on stuff sometimes.

Be careful out there. Take a class. Enjoy the ride.

tshadow6
07-20-2008, 15:42
My re-entry bike (after a 20 yr. absence) was a VLX 600. If you can, buy the Honda Shadow 750 model. The 600 IS a GREAT bike. The 600 powerplant and 4 gears are quite limiting. The entire Honda Shadow series are dead on reliable, economical and a great way to enter motorcycling. Don't worry about getting all the right gear at once. Buy a good full face helmet 1st. Your old workboots and gloves will suffice for now. I'm sure you have an old denim or leather jacket you can wear until you're able to get the latest motorcycle gear. Pawn shops are a great place to shop for good, used gear. Not only will you save gas, think of the fun you'll have on your daily commute. I love riding my motorcycle to work.

HollowHead
07-21-2008, 00:08
You will find that except for the helmet, you probably already own every other piece of gear you will ever need. As for the helmet, I implore you to do your research. You might find that the Snell and T.U.V., etc. helmets have actual disadvantages for the average street rider. HH

StudParker
07-22-2008, 14:35
Splurge on the good helmet...get what fits! The Shadows are great bikes but I have to agree that the 600 for someone of your size (I'm 210lbs) will be working hard at highway speeds. Remember, on a bike accelleration is your friend. Power will get you out of as much trouble as braking, swerving, etc. I had an 1100 and it was easily tractable and well mannered both on the highways and sideroads. You can pick them up for the same or less price than you looking at with the 600...not to mention it's a shafty which really eases up maintenence and it's costs.