Head shaved before departure? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Head shaved before departure?

ArodJohns
07-02-2008, 22:02
Is it a good idea to get my head shaved before leaving for Boot?

pulaskipusher
07-02-2008, 22:16
Not a Marine but had a shaved head when talking to a recruiter in high school. He encouraged me to grow my hair out before going to boot, he said it could be taken as a joke and may result in an "uncomfortable" haircutting experience.

Siempre Loco
07-02-2008, 22:23
I've heard the only thing worse than long hair is to be buzzed/shaved. Just have something conservative when you ship out. You don't want anything that will make you stick out that first day, unless you'd like to have a DI in your face for half an hour at least.

ArodJohns
07-02-2008, 23:51
I've heard the only thing worse than long hair is to be buzzed/shaved. Just have something conservative when you ship out. You don't want anything that will make you stick out that first day, unless you'd like to have a DI in your face for half an hour at least.

Not in the slightest. My goal is for them to have to think a minute what my name is before the hand me the EGA.

1985 4Runner
07-02-2008, 23:55
Not in the slightest. My goal is for them to have to think a minute what my name is before the hand me the EGA.

They'll know your name, trust me.

Thanks for deciding to join our club.

Good luck & Semper Fi.

Dean
07-03-2008, 00:15
I'd go in there with my hair touching my ears. Just normal civilian hair.
Do what you're told and keep your mouth shut. Forget about that award.

Max the PT test.
Qualify expert with your weapons.
Avoid sick call.
Work on your uniform.

Siempre Loco
07-03-2008, 00:50

I don't think it matters what your name is, since your just the slime I have to wipe off my boot. :drillsgt:
Not saying this to you ArodJohns, but this might be the light version of what they might say to someone. I think Dean's got the advice giving down.

Thought about my own experience since my dad was a Drill Seargent, so here's a website that'll give you a little bit of info on the basic training process.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/marinebasic.htm

Good luck

93GT
07-03-2008, 00:51
Doesn't matter, it is the least of your worries, and your forming drill instructors will be the ones who see your hair when you get there, not the ones you will have for the remainder of bootcamp.

Biscuitsjam
07-03-2008, 11:38
Save your money - they'll cut your hair for you.

Warhorse
07-04-2008, 05:57
Save your money - they'll cut your hair for you.

And how!! I stood on the yellow footprints 35 years ago, had shoulder length "hippie" hair.
Thank you in advance for service. Stay safe, Semper Fi!

usmc0341
07-06-2008, 14:29
Make sure you get a USMC tattoo before you go, that really impresses the Drill Innstructors!!!! :rofl:

Just kidding, good luck!

Biscuitsjam
07-06-2008, 16:25
Make sure you get a USMC tattoo before you go, that really impresses the Drill Innstructors!!!! One of the guys in my Army National Guard unit tells about a recruit he knew in BASIC training.

This guy had it written into his contract that he was going to be in the 101st Airborne Division. When they had "family day" 9 weeks into training, he went and got a tattoo. The guy screwed up some other stuff and didn't actually manage to finish BASIC.

357glocker
07-07-2008, 15:43
Definately go with a shaved head and be sure to say thank you sir for everything that they give you those first few hours, ie. uniform items (thank you) they cut your belt, (thank you) ect...! Also make sure to raise your hand and volunteer for everything you can. They really like a clean cut polite young man that stands above the rest.
If you take this seriously you deserve every bit of what you get!!!!

Good luck and thank you for joining!

gruntmedik
07-07-2008, 16:17
And deprive those that cut your hair in Boot Camp? Not a chance. I had a guy in my platoon that came to PI with a high and tight, wearing a USMC shirt. It was quite memorable, to say the least. :rofl:

Just go clean, and wearing clean clothes.

ArodJohns
07-07-2008, 16:38
Definately go with a shaved head and be sure to say thank you sir for everything that they give you those first few hours, ie. uniform items (thank you) they cut your belt, (thank you) ect...! Also make sure to raise your hand and volunteer for everything you can. They really like a clean cut polite young man that stands above the rest.

Uh huh, I'll get right on those! :tongueout::wavey:

SASSGlock2
07-07-2008, 17:59
And leave the weed at home! Dude was in boot camp with me for about an hour. We ahd to empty our wallets and log everything, and lo and behold, he had a joint. MP's took him away in cuffs. Odd, I just now remembered that after 22 years. Hadn't thought of it for years, but now it is plain as day.

inkslut
07-12-2008, 21:50
leave your hair the way it is, you will only waste your money. work on PT, etc before you leave. They will take care of your hair for you..

GreenDrake
07-27-2008, 15:28
I wouldn't do it. it won't really matter as that's the first part of the show once you step on the yellow footprints. The worst thing you can do is get a Marine Corps tattoo, before you have earned the Eagle Globe and Anchor, those guys caught hell from the DIs.

J.P.
07-27-2008, 15:46

Hey man, nobody likes an ass-kisser.
:supergrin:

357glocker
07-30-2008, 13:34
Hey man, nobody likes an ass-kisser.
:supergrin:
What are you talking about??? The DI's like the guy that "stands out":whistling: Besides you might as well get noticed right off the bat. They didn't know who I was until a few weeks into it. Once I made it to the quarterdeck they made up for not getting me there sooner:embarassed:

Former_usmc
08-10-2008, 19:55
Make sure you get a USMC tattoo before you go, that really impresses the Drill Innstructors!!!! :rofl:

Just kidding, good luck!

2 pieces of advice. Get the tattoo AFTER bootcamp and just go with whatever hair you have now.

A guy that left Houston with us had just gotten a USMC tattoo on his arm a few days before we left for bootcamp. Within 8 days of getting there, he was at home. Our platoon started with 96 and we graduated with 69.

Oh and my best friend and I had a head shaving party the weekend before we left and all of our friends got to help shave our heads. They ground those clippers into our heads pretty good, but within a few hours I can pretty much guarantee that you'll have any number of other things on your mind and that haircut you got will not be one of them.

And from experience...don't make any UA phone calls from Dental and then admit to it when someone inquires about it after you're already sitting down with the other recruits. Trust me, you all look the same and if you buy into their whole "integrity" guilt trip, you'll pay for it until the day you graduate. Your Drill Instructors and the Drill Instructors from other platoons will have a field day making you pay. TRUST ME! lol

Good luck and thanks in advance. Just remember...The Pain is temporary but the Pride is FOREVER!

GreenDrake
08-11-2008, 04:46
2 pieces of advice. Get the tattoo AFTER bootcamp and just go with whatever hair you have now.

A guy that left Houston with us had just gotten a USMC tattoo on his arm a few days before we left for bootcamp. Within 8 days of getting there, he was at home. Our platoon started with 96 and we graduated with 69.

Oh and my best friend and I had a head shaving party the weekend before we left and all of our friends got to help shave our heads. They ground those clippers into our heads pretty good, but within a few hours I can pretty much guarantee that you'll have any number of other things on your mind and that haircut you got will not be one of them.

And from experience...don't make any UA phone calls from Dental and then admit to it when someone inquires about it after you're already sitting down with the other recruits. Trust me, you all look the same and if you buy into their whole "integrity" guilt trip, you'll pay for it until the day you graduate. Your Drill Instructors and the Drill Instructors from other platoons will have a field day making you pay. TRUST ME! lol

Good luck and thanks in advance. Just remember...The Pain is temporary but the Pride is FOREVER!

Ha, yeah once you get turned into a silver bullet and you look around at all the other recruits with the fuzzballs on their heads from the new grey sweatshirts (pretty funny)...seriously though. I managed to sneak a couple phone calls to my girlfriend over Christmas when we were at the rifle range. See, a Mormon friend of mine who went in ahead of me, suggested I attend Mormon services, for good reason, the chicks and chow they brought in, as well as they let us write home during their masses in the quonset huts.

They did bring in some hot chicks every week too, beat the heck out of the stand, sit, kneel services in the main auditorium. On Christmas day there were like four of us who had that gig worked out, marching solo at the range to the Mormon service, I ducked into a payphone where I knew no one could see me, made a nice call and boogied to mass. Easy as pie but I don't recommend it.