Indian Mountain LRRS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Indian Mountain LRRS

4sooth
07-05-2008, 08:46
Anyone here ever stationed at Indian Mountain Air Force Station--Utopia Creek,Alaska?

Spent a year tour there from April '70 to april'71.Interesting place,very scenic and I got to hunt and fish Alaska at the gov's expense.

I was in Civil Engineers and worked in the boiler plant.

Today it is called Indian Mountain Long Range Radar Station---also appears to be a hazmet remediation site.Only accessable by aircraft during good weather.

bluelineman
07-05-2008, 10:05
Never been there but you did remind me of something. My parents came to visit me when I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB. My Dad was also active duty at the time. We made a trip to Fairbanks & along the way decided to make a stop at Clear Air Force Station. My Dad had had some communications with them in the past in intel. The "base tour" took about 5 minutes. I completely forgot about that until now.

WildIrishClancy
07-24-2008, 09:39
Anyone here ever stationed at Indian Mountain Air Force Station--Utopia Creek,Alaska?

Spent a year tour there from April '70 to april'71.Interesting place,very scenic and I got to hunt and fish Alaska at the gov's expense.

I was in Civil Engineers and worked in the boiler plant.

Today it is called Indian Mountain Long Range Radar Station---also appears to be a hazmet remediation site.Only accessable by aircraft during good weather.

Was at the sister site Sparevhn AFS , Indian Mountain and Sparrevohn were only two (out of 13 or so) That were split almost equally top camp bottom camp. Most were 85% bottom camp and 15% top camp.
Anyway USAF used to man the sites with 85 to 100 folks the sites left are 7-8 folks multi tasking.
check out Alaska radar site vets site on Yahoo