Going from Cable to DSL...have questions... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going from Cable to DSL...have questions...

GeorgeAtl
07-08-2008, 07:17
Well, we're so disgusted with our Cable Provider that we're going to switch to DSL for our Internet at Home. The service currently is down more than it's working, and has been down (this time) for a week.
The cable company is the only one in our area, so they have a monopoly which leads to poor service....so we're kicking them out.
Couple of questions....
1. Can we use the cable modem that we have, or will there be a new modem with their service?
2. Can we use our wireless router with new said DSL service? It's a Linksys 802.11.
3. With the cable service, we were using Vonage which we were very happy with. Will vonage work with the DSL, or since we're going with AT&T will we go to their landline service?

Thanks for your help in advance!!
GeorgeATL

IndyGunFreak
07-08-2008, 07:40
Well, we're so disgusted with our Cable Provider that we're going to switch to DSL for our Internet at Home. The service currently is down more than it's working, and has been down (this time) for a week.
The cable company is the only one in our area, so they have a monopoly which leads to poor service....so we're kicking them out.
Couple of questions....
1. Can we use the cable modem that we have, or will there be a new modem with their service?
2. Can we use our wireless router with new said DSL service? It's a Linksys 802.11.
3. With the cable service, we were using Vonage which we were very happy with. Will vonage work with the DSL, or since we're going with AT&T will we go to their landline service?

Thanks for your help in advance!!
GeorgeATL

1. Depends, they'll probably provide you a modem as part of the service, but if you want to use yours, ask the install tech(assuming you've purchased it, and it won't have to be returned to the cable company when you cancel).
2. The router shouldn't be an issue once its set up and configured w/ the new connection.
3. I don't see why Vonage wouldn't work. However, you might be able to get some sort of package deal if you use your provider's internet phone service.

IGF

Washington,D.C.
07-08-2008, 08:20
You must use a DSK modem that goes with the DSL company or one that has settings that can be adjusted. The adjustable settings ones are rare and expensive. Usually (but not always) the DSL company will provide the DSL modem "Free" if you keep the service at least one year. If you drop the service in less than a year you must pay their full price for the modem. If the modem goes bad you must buy a replacement but they usually last 5 years give or take a couple of years. The cable modem won't work at all. The wireless router or any router should work. Some DSL modems have wireless routers but those don't work very well. You do not need to install any of the software supplied by the DSL company. I don't think it matters which DSL company you use but it does require a phone line to the house. Vontage is suppose to work with DSL but depends what speed/bandwidth DSL you can get at your location. For DSL the location is important. This is not the "speed" the DSL company offers but the speed that really works at your location. Different DSL companies can use the same phone lines so it shouldn't matter which DSL company you choose but often only a couple of DSL companies are offered in each location. Vontage might be a factor because a too slow connection will mess up Vontage.

WINGS
07-08-2008, 08:25
What a luxury to have a choice. We're stuck with our cable company and there is no DSL service available in our area. What's really a PITA is getting your new email address to all of those sites......if you can even remember which ones you have to log onto. We started to keep user names and password in a little book that's kept in the gun safe. It really helps.

GeorgeAtl
07-08-2008, 08:46
What a luxury to have a choice. We're stuck with our cable company and there is no DSL service available in our area. What's really a PITA is getting your new email address to all of those sites......if you can even remember which ones you have to log onto. We started to keep user names and password in a little book that's kept in the gun safe. It really helps.
I don't plan on changing my E-Mail addy, and neither does my fiancee. It was not necessary with Charter Hi-Speed (who we're leaving) and it won't be necessary with AT&T.
Changing your E-Mail address is a bigger PITA than changing your STREET ADDRESS!!

Thanks for your responses....keep 'em coming, you latecomers!!

WINGS
07-08-2008, 09:07
I don't plan on changing my E-Mail addy, and neither does my fiancee. It was not necessary with Charter Hi-Speed (who we're leaving) and it won't be necessary with AT&T.
Changing your E-Mail address is a bigger PITA than changing your STREET ADDRESS!!

Thanks for your responses....keep 'em coming, you latecomers!!

Not sure how that works because every time I have changed ISPs my email address changed. Like from ***@verizon.net to ***@comcast.net and your username isn't always available.

Sgt. Schultz
07-08-2008, 09:31
Not sure how that works because every time I have changed ISPs my email address changed. Like from ***@verizon.net to ***@comcast.net and your username isn't always available.The same company probably owns then both. I've manage to stay with the same ISP for about 10 years so I haven't had to worry about changing e-mail addresses. Several years ago I started using yahoo and gmail as my primary e-mail addresses so changing from one to another is not a concern anymore.

IndyGunFreak
07-08-2008, 09:32
Not sure how that works because every time I have changed ISPs my email address changed. Like from ***@verizon.net to ***@comcast.net and your username isn't always available.

This is the beautiful thing about using an email address that is not dependant on a service provider. Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL, all have pretty good features on their web based email. I hate Hotmail.

IGF

GeorgeAtl
07-08-2008, 09:40

I just use my Earthlink TotalAccess E-Mail program. I've used Earthlink since about 1995, with no problems.....even though I was accessing the internet thru Charter, I didn't need a "charter.net" e-mail addy, and neither did my fiancee.

Sgt. Schultz
07-08-2008, 09:51
This is the beautiful thing about using an email address that is not dependant on a service provider. Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL, all have pretty good features on their web based email. I hate Hotmail.

IGF ... and most if not all of them can be configured to use your favorite e-mail program.

IndyGunFreak
07-08-2008, 13:42
... and most if not all of them can be configured to use your favorite e-mail program.

A benefit I forgot to mention.. :)

I'm not sure about the others, but I know Gmail accounts can be setup w/ any mail client..

IGF