NC lake stocked with Tilapia. Why??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NC lake stocked with Tilapia. Why???

The Pontificator
07-09-2002, 15:53
Lake Julian, Just South of Asheville, NC is stocked with the usual bass, crappie, catfish, bream and TILAPIA, which is an "aquaculture" or "fish farm" fish.

Does anyone have a clue as to why a lake would be stocked with such a fish? Perhaps they are dumb, LOL and can be caught easily. If so, I'm there, dude!

duncan
07-09-2002, 16:48
Doesn't seem to make sense since its not a native fish??????

TreeMan
07-09-2002, 17:01
They are probably using them to control algae & weeds in the lake.

Menehune
07-10-2002, 13:48
If Tilapia are in the right water, they can taste allright, but by far not my favorite. We used to pop 'em wit hpellet guns in Hawaii. They would sit right at the surface and POP!... Then scoop 'em out. I think they use them as filler in "fish Flavoring"

The Pontificator
07-11-2002, 21:32
Originally posted by TreeMan
They are probably using them to control algae & weeds in the lake.

Further inquiries show that's exactly what they are in the lake for...algae control. The lake provides cooling water for a power plant. The fish are all "same sex"...or sterile...like grass carp.

I don't think they'd stock them for "catching"...tilapia are notorious for crowding out other species. Their use in ponds/lakes is strictly controlled for that reason.

hank_rearden
07-16-2002, 04:23
yep, tilapias are voracious eaters and they multiply fast. i don't understand why they have to be stocked in lakes as they can be easily bred in small ponds. they can render native breeds extinct (but i suppose some research was done). hate to admit it but it's my favorite cheap fish. i'm a filipino, BTW.

Menehune
07-18-2002, 12:42
Hank-reardon, not calling any racist shots here, but my best freind in Hawaii was half Filipino, and his mom would take all the Tilapia we could get. Is it a mainstay in fillipino culture? Please don't say you like balut! His mom eould pick it up all the time. Never could stomach the thought.

hank_rearden
07-19-2002, 02:58
hi menehune (yiddish?),

yeah, tilapia is the favorite cheap fish here in the philippines although some prefer the milkfish (tropical herring which is also farmed), the galunggong (sea smelt) and various dried anchovy. these are all gathered cheap.

my favorite expensive fish are catfish, pompano, bonito tuna and the pink salmon. darnit, you got me hungry!

with regard to the balut, i never really liked it and whenever my wife invites me to eat, i take only the yellow yolk part. she gobbles up the baby duckling with relish.

as a disclaimer, my wife is a bit of a looker. i'm the one who looks like a professional head shrinker.

TScottW99
07-19-2002, 08:59
balut ;P i was hungry :) will never forget a bus trip from Manlia to Angelas City when they were passing around balut, what a trip :) a buddy of mine use to keep a carton of balut eggs in our work fridge, i never worked up enough nerve to try one.

Quake Guy
07-29-2002, 00:47
They are ok to eat. Some better restaurants actually serve them now. I thought they were originally brought to this country for mosquito control...