Johnson sliver minnow [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Johnson sliver minnow

noway
07-09-2002, 23:09
Do anybody fish for small or big mouth bass with these?

I'm looking for the 1/24th ( I think ) size for fishing for FL Peacock bass. Is their anywhere online that anybody can reccommend for these in the size listed above.

P.S> I already check with Outdoor Bass Shop and they have nil.

Arbee
07-09-2002, 23:24
I was not aware that they make them that small. I have 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 ounce sizes, both silver and gold. I have not caught a bass on one, but have caught catfish while trying for bass. They're also used in the gulf for reds.

I would think that 1/24th would be hard to cast and then feel the take with a rod that was capable of handling a big Florida strain. Perhaps a typo?

noway
07-09-2002, 23:38
My dad had a catalog a while back, that listed a size smaller than 1/8 and I do believe it was 1/24 or maybe 1/32 ( sliver/gold ) so I figure I would try this for the h@ll of it but can't seem to locate any locally.

( I've check the usual spots; Sport Authority, Outdoor world, Kamrt/Wally mart etc.... )

Nowhere online can I find this size or maybe I'm looking for these at the wrong location.

{ I would think that 1/24th would be hard to cast and then feel the take with a rod that was capable of handling a big Florida strain. Perhaps a typo?}

The bigger sliver minnows gets a lot of strikes and these seem to be just as effective as the Berkley worms around in my next of the swamp ( actually a private community lake ). So I figure the smaller minnow might be a better alternative.

Casting into a light to mild wind might be a litte diffcult but I'm only casting in very light wind from a boat from distances of 10 to 15 yrds in light to medium weeds.

noway
07-09-2002, 23:42
I just found my answer Cabela's.

The have them sliver only at 1/24th size.

In progress in making an order.

Arbee
07-10-2002, 10:34
Thanks for the info. Let us know how they do. And if you find a source for any ones smaller than 1/24.

noway
07-10-2002, 11:56
Cabelas didn't list any smaller and the catalog my dad had ( can't remember the name ) listed the 1/24th size only.

I hope todo well ,since I'm going to have the boat all to my little bitty self for most of saturday, unless it is raining.

Arbee
07-28-2002, 19:12
So how did you do? And something I did not understand --- why did you want to go to 1/24 when the larger ones are working well? Are the bait fish in your lake that small?

I had good results recently trolling for sand bass with a 1/8 Silver Spoon. Next time I may go up a size.

noway
07-29-2002, 11:23
I'm having such a hard time with the bigger spoons hanging up in the weeds so I figure I'll go with the lighter/smaller spoon to see what might happen. That was the whole reason for the Johnson 1/24th minnow. Yes they are alittle harder to cast upwind but they do fine with me cast ing out to about 15-to-20yrds in light wind. I figure since they had them and I never used this size , I figure I would try them.

I also had a problem with setting the hook on the smaller bass, so the smaller spoon might have prevented loosing a few fish.

So far,nada, nilch..... they haven't landed a bass, but on a good sidenote, "I have not had one get hung up with anything." The lake weed in my friend's lake are thick and grows upwards to 30ft.

I'm also re-investigating to see if the Sliver Lake Weedless Minnow comes in a size smaller than 1/8".

Arbee
07-29-2002, 14:18
Cool. I'll have to try the little ones. Two suggestions. First, try mashing the barb down for better penetration. Second, there's a weedless spoon that uses plastic wormy-taily-thingy to make it weedless. You may be able to go big and not get hung up.

noway
07-29-2002, 15:58
I know I probably should re-sharpen my hooks. My dad is always ******!in that I should always keep my hooks sharp.

"One day I will learn"

Have you every tried the banjo minnow? I heard good and bad about these little things.

Arbee
07-29-2002, 16:35
Yes, sharp makes a big difference. I have found that if I miss a strike more than once, the hook is a little dull. You can pickup a small hook sharpener that you can keep in your pocket or toolbox or snap it onto your clothing. Just slide the hook down the groove three or four times and...sharp hook. Don't leave home without it. Plus make your hooks barbless by mashing them down, then sharpen.

I'm not sure what a banjo minnow is.