Fireman monument at Gettysburg [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fireman monument at Gettysburg

Tvov
07-15-2008, 06:43
We (my family) just visited Gettysburg National park two weeks ago. Very cool (and sobering) place, worth visiting. One person who seemed to know about these things said that the park is the largest open-air "art" exhibit in the world... the state of Pennsylvania alone has ~111 monuments dedicated to its soldiers within the boundaries of the park.

We did the "auto tour", where you get a CD or cassette, and the "tour guide" tells you where to go and what to see. It is great because you can do the tour at your own speed, stoppping the tape whenever you want to get out to look at something. Being able to retreat to your air conditioned car is nice.

While we were driving, we couldn't help but notice an odd monument, that both my wife and I thought looked remarkably like a fireman holding a fireman's horn, standing with a soldier. Sure enough, it was a fireman;

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/73rdInf/73rdInfMonument2.htm

We did find at least two monuments to Connecticut soldiers.

That is a great place to visit. A lot of history there. Since we were camping nearby, we were able to break up our tour of the battlefield over two days, which made it a little easier on the kids. If you go, make sure you get to Eisenhower's Tower, and whatever you do don't miss standing on top of Little Round Top.

BlitzAttack
07-15-2008, 12:25
Thats pretty cool. We took a trip out there a while back, we went through Vicksburg,Miss. on the way back.Very memorable trip.

glocks_n_ars713
07-31-2008, 20:44
you missed coming to York to see the FF Museum