Cheese [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheese

RWBlue
07-15-2008, 10:51
Talk to me about cheese.
I am a simple cheese eater. I eat medium to sharp cheddars. I use Blue cheese on my steaks and burgers at times. I put mozzarella (usually the block type, not the real soft type) on my home made pizzas.

I have had better and different cheeses in the past, but I have gotten myself in a rut. Talk to me about your soft spreadable cheeses. Talk to me about sitting down for a snack/meal of cheese and crackers.

noway
07-15-2008, 19:21
Cheese? Cheeses are like gun various calibers and styles ;)

I like the following and it depends on them mode and meal;

Gouda
smoke Gouda
Swiss ( mainly my sandwiches )
Provolone ( same as above )
Brie
Various dutch cheeses
Asiago ( pasta or if I do any thing Italian )

For basic stuff, sharp cheddar does fine ;)

major
07-15-2008, 20:45
Actually, I am making cheese as we speak. It is something that interests me and I have been reading about it the last couple of days-----never done it before.

The simplest recipe I could find is the one I am doing first:

Take a tub of plain yogurt. Dump it into a cloth (held in place over a pan by clips.)
Leave out at room temperature for 24 hours to drain.

Then after 24 hours, put in the fridge for 2-3 hours to harden a bit. Top with olive oil and spread on toasted pita bread sections.

This is supposed to make a cheese common in middle eastern countries. We'll see. I started mine at 7:30 this morning.

If it turns out ok, I will proceed with a recipe for "farmer's cheese", which is a little bit more involved. Then, I'm going to try gouda after that.

Wish me luck!

The Pontificator
07-20-2008, 15:01
Try this for dessert: Gorgonzola and fresh pear slices. Incomparable. The salty cheese and sweet pears are a perfect foil for each other.

Glockerel
07-21-2008, 09:08
St. Andre- a triple cream french- excellent
Aged Gouda- a drier, aged gouda and full of flavor
Bruder Basil- a german brick type cheese
Fropaine Demage- a loaf shaped french cheese similar to havarti
Havarti- a danish cheese, very creamy and mild
Chevre- goat cheese, very spreadable and tangy
Saga- a soft blue, very creamy and smooth

Just a few of my favorites.

Punkkin
07-21-2008, 09:15
St. Andre- a triple cream french- excellent
Aged Gouda- a drier, aged gouda and full of flavor
Bruder Basil- a german brick type cheese
Fropaine Demage- a loaf shaped french cheese similar to havarti
Havarti- a danish cheese, very creamy and mild
Chevre- goat cheese, very spreadable and tangy
Saga- a soft blue, very creamy and smooth

Just a few of my favorites.

mmMmmm Havarti. :drool:

tat2guy
07-21-2008, 09:31
Whenever we have guests over for dinner or something, my wife always lays out a spread with Brie cheese and a fig jelly that is astoundingly good. A few fancy schmancy crackers, grapes and apple slices, you have a million dollar appetizer platter for like $10.

If you have a Whole Foods near you, they usually have awesome cheese sections, and frequently very knowledgeable people working in them, who will often give you samples of things and tell you stuff about them.