Quarter mile times [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quarter mile times

4sooth
07-19-2008, 11:42
With a rider of average skill what et's will the current crop of crotch rockets turn?From 600's to 1200's.

I remember in the sixties that for a motorcycle to run the quarter in the mid elevens and be street driven was considered mind bending performance.

We had a local guy who had a drag bike he street drove which consisted of a Honda CB160 frame with a 305 Super Hawk engine with a Yoshimura 350 kit which would turn 11.60's at only about 110 mph.That is as fat as the bike would go but it would do it in around 250 yards---then just driving the rest of the quarter at that speed.

It is my understanding some current bikes will exceed 90 mph in first gear!

fnfalman
07-19-2008, 13:15
Box stock 1000-cc sport bikes can turn 9-something nowadays in the hands of a good rider (not professional racer). Performance bikes nowadays routinely run 10-something. Even the chinzy "normal" bikes (non cruisers) would run easily 12s and 11s.

But the true performance enhancement is in the handling. I think that chassis, suspension and tires technology and understanding made a quantum leap the last five years. Much more than horsepower output of engine's technology.

JadeRaven
07-19-2008, 23:01
A modern sportbike will go basically as fast as you have the balls/skill to go. :D

Bowtie
07-20-2008, 00:03
I know sport bikes of this era run some very impressive times.I've been spanked by many.Not all but many and my softail runs a decent 1/4 mile time.
11.325 et@ 119.530

michael t
07-24-2008, 23:28
A modern sportbike will go basically as fast as you have the balls/skill to go. :D

+1 on that Ive only launched my Hayabusa a couple times and all I can say is :wow: Holy S### now I know why they come with the hump . These new bikes make majority of so called fast cars from US ,Italy ,or Germany look slow. and for 12000 or less.
Of course if not fast enough theirs always a turbo and other go faster toys

Rinspeed
08-02-2008, 22:59
But the true performance enhancement is in the handling. I think that chassis, suspension and tires technology and understanding made a quantum leap the last five years. Much more than horsepower output of engine's technology.

That's a good point. My ZX-11 will still keep up with just about all the new bikes but the brakes and suspension leave a little bit to be desired.