Weatherby Orion Upland 20 gauge O/U Shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby Orion Upland 20 gauge O/U Shotgun

revolver jack
07-19-2008, 12:30
Hello All -

I posted this on another forum and got some great answers on the physical recoil issue. Then it hit me this morning that I should have also asked if there is/are any BGSL members who might have this particular shotgun in hand and willing to comment.

I shot this past week on 2 separate times (once with a semi-auto and the other with an O/U; and guess what, I am "hooked". God, what a great way to spend time with my son and wife. I have always been partial to the looks of an O/U; they just look and feel "cool". I know I am a Newbi to this; but at present, I just want (can afford) to buy one shotgun only; if the recoil issue with a 20 gauge is too much for my wife and the price is affordable, then I might in a more distant time think of getting her something like a .410 .

Does anyone have this particular O/U shotgun? If so, would you comment on recoil with this 6 1/2lb shotgun?. I know that recoil is influenced by a variety of things, like shotgun wt. and say shell load, etc. I am very interested in getting this for me, my 23 year old son, and my wife. Oh, would you also comment on recoil by O/U shotguns compared to semi-autos.

Thanks much.

cwshootersupply
07-19-2008, 18:11
Recoil is a weight vs "power" level . Light gun and a magnum shell mean you get kicked.

An O/U and a semi-auto that weight the same and shooting the same shell will have the same recoil. The gas gun will delay the recoil over a longer period so felt recoil will be lighter. But can't get around phyics.

To control recoil you shoot a lighter load, increase gun weight,add a recoil pad or a spring system like a CounterCoil, or port the barrel. All these have draw backs, like making gun harder to hold or carry or more ear spitting blast etc.

All that the semi will have less recoil to the shooter than an O/U. Oh yeah this is my opions and it's worth what you paid for it.