what's the secret to becoming a fireman [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what's the secret to becoming a fireman

revel8
07-19-2008, 18:33
hello, i'm interested in firefighting as a career. I took my EMT-B class, I passed the CPAT test last year, is there any good websites out there that list openings by region ? I search and i generally find EMS/Police jobs but rarely fire.

1985 4Runner
07-19-2008, 22:43
Firehouse.com has a forum & job listings, but you have to pay a fee to see current openings.

FiremanMike
07-20-2008, 14:29
When I graduated and had my FF/emt-basic, I opened up the phonebook and called every fire department in it. I asked if they were hiring part-time and or full-time and what the requirements were. Every department that required a FF/emt-basic I went and applied to. I was hired by 2 of them as a part-timer. While this was going on I was checking the paper for civil service tests and I took the only one that was given around that time. I worked the two part-time departments until I was hired at my full-time department. I started working part-time in July 1998, I started full-time January 2001.

pulaskipusher
07-20-2008, 14:39
Get your stripes volunteering, it's alot of work to get a firejob. Volunteering can get you the training and experience you need to get hired on to A fire department.

tbhracing
07-20-2008, 20:20
Visit these sites for more information.

www.eatstress.com
www.aspiringfirefighter.com (look for the two year plan)
www.firecareers.com

I HIGHLY suggest you first figure out where you want to live and then taylor your career to it.

On the West coast, they want Firefighter/Paramedics (FF/PM).

Lastly, I am a Fire Captain with about 20+ years experience, please PM me if you want to chat. Good luck.

revel8
07-20-2008, 21:03
thank you guys. I do volunteer actually. however the unit i am with is very, slow. with things. rarely are all the members at the meet, and i've asked repeatedly to take my fire 1 test so I can get my own gear and get on the insurance. for about six months now i've just been hanging out at the meetings.

Tvov
07-21-2008, 11:03
Can you make your own arrangements to take FFI? And then have your department pay for it or reimburse you? My department will pay for almost any training related to firefighting. If the member fails the classes, then the member is supposed to pay for it. Usually, though, the member will re-take the classes and the department will pay all fees. Many paid departments will still have you re-take classes even if you have the certifications, but you will have an advantage over other recruits who are completely new to firefighting.

You may run into some resistance from your volunteer department if you make it known that you are volunteering in order to get training and take classes, then intend to join a paid department. This has happened many times with my department -- we pay for and train younger guys, they get on a paid department, and we never see them again.

This is many times related to many paid departments' "unspoken" rule that you have to quit any volunteer department you may be a member of. Just something to be aware of.

revel8
07-21-2008, 12:02
Tvov, thank you.

glockaddiction
07-22-2008, 17:15
is your department all vol or do they have paid too. alot of time when you have both the vol have to sit around for awhile. they want to see who is there for real and not for thrill. I spent about a year as a vol before i went to my first class. Then it was one after the other until ff2. now i'm in engineer training, evdt and pump ops1&2

BlitzAttack
07-22-2008, 19:20
NEVER giving up is the key.

1985 4Runner
07-22-2008, 22:10
NEVER giving up is the key.

+1000

I got hired on full time, career when I was 36.

I LOVE it.

Apollo11
07-25-2008, 20:42
If you are intrested in Denver Metro FD's google: DRCOG

Good Luck, keep in shape and no matter what volley/professional time you do when you get on with you'r final department learn their way.

Truckie10
07-25-2008, 22:02
Good luck, fire jobs are one of the hardest to get, 1000000 people for 6 postions. Maybe go to paramedic school that would help. Most fire departments in Texas you have to EMT-P too.