Feels like i'm struggling through FTO [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Feels like i'm struggling through FTO

Hal9mm
07-21-2008, 14:22
I feel like I know what to do but I continue to make stupid mistakes in the field. This is my second week in FTO and I still am leaving things out of my reports and forgetting the basics.

It has been kinda frustrating. Maybe its just the stress?

SPDSNYPR
07-21-2008, 15:05
OK - listen. You will do stupid stuff in FTO. It is expected. Learn from your mistakes, don't beat yourself up about it, and move on. That's how you learn. If you dote on past mistakes, you will stress yourself out to the point of mot being able to perform, and will lock up.

Every time you go to a call, you have to do the same basic things and get the same basic information. It's all repetition. You will get it. Don't worry too much. You will make mistakes. You will screw up. You will continue to do so 10 years after you are out of FTO - just less often. Nobody is perfect, and nobody expects you to be.

Lean forward and drive on.

bill-hhh
07-21-2008, 15:16
Mistakes happen, thats what the training is for. Learn, Improve and always watch their hands.

HISEASCOWBOY
07-21-2008, 15:49
OK - listen. You will do stupid stuff in FTO. It is expected. Learn from your mistakes, don't beat yourself up about it, and move on. That's how you learn. If you dote on past mistakes, you will stress yourself out to the point of mot being able to perform, and will lock up.

Every time you go to a call, you have to do the same basic things and get the same basic information. It's all repetition. You will get it. Don't worry too much. You will make mistakes. You will screw up. You will continue to do so 10 years after you are out of FTO - just less often. Nobody is perfect, and nobody expects you to be.

+1,000,000

el dudarino
07-21-2008, 15:51
If it is just reports and stuff, dont worry. I have two years in and im still ironing out my reports.

Now, are you forgetting to put stuff in reports, or are you forgetting to gather all the info you need and not having it when you do the report?

As you go, more experienced investigaters will read you reports and say, "Why didnt you ask A?" Or "Why diddnt you do B?" You will think wow, that makes sense, why didnt I think of that. You will get better at this with time. What helped me was getting to know the elements of the crime better. Also, try to think how a defense attorny would defend the case and try do gather the info that would disprove these attempts.

In the end a good report will include who, what , where, why, when, and how. It will also highlight the elements of the offense and why the evidence points to this sequence of events, as oposed to whatever bs the lawyers can come up with.

23glockrock
07-21-2008, 16:08
You're two weeks in...how long is your program? Ours is 16 weeks. Don't stress yourself out. I know it's easier said than done. Just remember FTO is supposed to test you. I can say, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but FTO was one of the most stressful times in my life.

Keep working at it and learn from your mistakes.

Cochese
07-21-2008, 16:22
Karma?

Good luck. :cool:

MoCop
07-21-2008, 17:09
Your'e only 2 weeks in. Don't beat yourself up over it. After a while, things will come more naturally.

Keep your head up and keep trudging through. you'll get the hang of it.

Watch your back and come home safe.

MoCop

jadams951
07-21-2008, 17:38
Only your 2nd week in??? HAHAH....relax dude. You are expected to make mistakes and it's their job to find your screw ups and correct them

I spent a little over ten years in a large department working one of the ****tiest parts of Houston. I just started at a municipal agency much smaller and slower paced than what I am used to. I am a month into their FTO program and every damn day they are pointing out screw ups I make. It's expected because you don't know what they expect and how to do their way of doing things.

Don't beat yourself up over it.

lwt210
07-21-2008, 17:55
Two weeks and you are stressing out about mistakes?

You will be making report mistakes two decades from now. Relax.

Just being aware that you are screwing up is a plus in my book. You are expected to be hosing it up two weeks into the game.

When I trained folks, we didn't even let them do ANYTHING the first week. Kind of a keep mouth shut/eyes open kind of work week. The second week was reports and then the navigation of the city came as did radio traffic.

Most of my good trainees didn't get any of it right the first couple of weeks. Shoot, I was on third shift then and they were just getting used to being up all night on the second week.

Look, don't sweat the small stuff. Be as error free as you can on the officer safety stuff. Do thorough pat downs, cuff folks like you should, keep an eye on your six, that kind of thing.

The paperwork stuff will come later. Dont' get me wrong, check and re-check your reports but don't let the occasional slip up get you in a tizzy.

The worst trainees are the ones that know it all from the get go. The second worst are the ones that let their nerves get in the way of learning. Strive to be neither.

Orlando Eric
07-21-2008, 18:05
I assume there is some sort of grading scale they use. How are your actual scores.

When in FTO you should be with the better officers in the department. Each one has his personal best areas. Reports are somewhat uniform but I can tell who wrote the report by reading it, everyone is a little different.

In the begining I wrote in the last page of my field note book the standard crap I needed to know. For instance writing down what color shoes the victim had on when I was getting every slurred word out of their mouth while being loaded into the meat wagon did not seem important to me. It doesn't seem important to me now, but they want it and perhaps someday it will matter, so I do it.

Trust me someday 10 years from now you are going to snap out the report of the "great garden hose theft" and the some fill in kiddie cop sgt is going to call you at home and ask you if the house faced east. Most likely you will not know and boldy ak him if he would like you to drive out and look for 3.0 hours of OT?

MarksGlock22
07-21-2008, 18:22
Atleast you have an FTO program. I got hired prior to the academy, and was put in a cruiser alone, chief gave me a set of keys and said dont wreck. about 3 weeks in, I was working our entire city alone, as we only had 2 officers per shift and my O.I.C. was out sick.

Best of luck!

Kahr_Glockman
07-21-2008, 19:15
hey I wrecked the patrol car on the day of my check ride. Dont sweat the small stuff. You will get better at the reports. In fact you will write so many that you will want to choke the little peckerwood that hit Old Man Hills mail box causing you to take a criminal mischief report 30 mins from end of shift.

Hey just as a little tip. Reports change from agency to agency. Print of blank copy of your incident/offense report and fill it out when you are taking information. If there is a blank it's there for a reason. Get the information and dont leave until all the little blanks are complete. Go back to the office/car and retype the report and write the narrative. Good luck.

cash
07-21-2008, 19:37
2 weeks in... don't sweat it too much. Show up on time (which means early), keep your mouth shut, don't forget your gun (it wasn't me, and don't ask), and remember that at this point in your training, not much is expected of you. 12 weeks from now, different story.

Are you making the same mistakes repeatedly, or different mistakes each time? If it's the former, that is something to worry about; if it's the latter, no worries, mate. If you are screwing up the same things, then you need to figure out why, and solve that problem now. If you don't, life is quickly going to get difficult.

Advice? I dunno ... I guess, Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.

1time
07-21-2008, 19:37
Am I the only one annoyed when people refer to it as FTO. FTO stands for Field Training Officer. You are having a problem during Field Training. To me it is like the Glocks that have clips...

Okay, rant over.
Like everyone said, this is the time for mistakes, just try not to make the same ones twice. I would write the needed info on a page in your note book and refer to that while on a call to double check you didn't forget anything. It helped me to get the info the same way on every call. When you get used to a certain order it helps you to make sure you have everything.

Letting the stress of someone looking over my shoulder get to me when I was on field training was my biggest problem; I did much better when I got on my own. Now 11 years later being a FTO, I notice the same stress in the trainees. Try to relax and forget about the guy looking over your shoulder. I know it is easier to say then to do but you will be fine.

Jester249
07-22-2008, 06:56
I feel like I know what to do but I continue to make stupid mistakes in the field. This is my second week in FTO and I still am leaving things out of my reports and forgetting the basics.

So let me get this straight: being a cop isn't that easy at all? Why how can this be? All you have to do is go to GNG to find out just how easy our job is!!:tongueout:

Though I don't consider myself old, I did start back when we were all carrying revolvers. I have learned a lot since then. The biggest lesson I have learned is the more I learn, then more I realize how little I really know! So don't let things get you down. Don't be afraid to ask your training officer questions!

Oh and try to have FUN!

pac201
07-22-2008, 09:02
+1 to all the above...

a wise man once told me that a dull pencil is better than a sharp mind every time, remember that, write it down and you can refer to it.

One other thing, the better report you write, the less questions you will be asked.

psychophipps
07-22-2008, 10:00
Put a quick cheat sheet in the top flap of your notebook or other writing apparatus. You flip it open to start writing and you can see the basics right there as you fill out a report or citation without having to look around or ask the same questions like a putz in front of your FTO.

When in doubt, cheat.

I had a similar issue with customs-needed flights when I worked for a FBO/charter service. On the clipboard I just taped a simple list of stuff I needed to include and my entries soon got compliments from the boss.

opelwasp
07-22-2008, 11:49
I'm in week 15 of my 16 week FTO and I still make mistakes. What really helped with my report writing was to get a digital recorder. I have the Olympus VN-2100PC, it is awesome. I use it all the time when I need to take paper. I also wright notes just in case it takes a dump on me. My last DV report went through my FTO and the SGT with only one capitalization error. It is a wonderful tool. Just remember to turn off the beeper that indicates when you turn it on or off. BTW never I mean never download the audio onto any computer, it can be subpoenaed. I only use it for report writing purposes, never for evidence.

About mistakes in the field, just don't keep making the same ones over and over again. The big no no's are officer safety mistakes.

Mic
07-22-2008, 13:27
We have all done "stupid things" later in your carrer you will call the same things "experience".

Keep the basics 100%
#1 You and your parntners all go home at the end of shift no matter what.

The other stuff is really not as imprortant as #1.

Fernman
07-22-2008, 13:33
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. You are supposed to screw up now, be miserable, hate life, get frustrated and feel like throwing the stacks of paperwork at the wall. When you don't throw them, focus and do it right and do it the hard way, you will be closer to being a cop.

Hal9mm
08-04-2008, 12:08
well thanks for the encouragement, sometimes I just get nervous out there, because I know I am being evaluated so then i screw up worse.

JBaird22
08-04-2008, 13:58
Just remember what you have learned and go from there. Reports are the hardest part of the job as they are meant to be read by so many people with different interests in the report.

Concern yourself, however, with gathering the required information, making that information understandable and being confident in the product you've dispensed.

Orlando Eric
08-04-2008, 14:20
Everyone is lying.

They all have guns.

They all want to kill you.

DFinch
08-04-2008, 14:31
Our probationary period is 18 months, and with academy and FTO time most aren't working alone until about the one year mark.

At two weeks in they're still in the orientation phase.

Relax. Work on your routine. Most reports rely on the same basic information. You'll get it worked out.

Pepper45
08-04-2008, 16:24
When you're dealing with people, your FTO isn't there. He's there as an immediate cover officer, but he's really not there, it's YOUR call. Do what needs to be done, and do it completely. If there are refinements later, great. Nail down the officer safety stuff first. Hands, pat downs, appropriate positioning, etc. Then work on the reports.

Make a goal for each day. Share this goal with your FTO. Could be finding a certain guy with warrants, could be cracking a vandalism case, could be making zero officer safety mistakes that day. Whatever it is, write it down before the shift, and tell your FTO that you are working on X, Y, or Z, and you're going to beat on that goal until you're there. Then move on to the next.

Don't make the same mistakes over and over. If you find yourself getting beat up on the DOR, fix it immediately. If you make other mistakes, fine. But fix the major glaring ones right away, listen to your FTO intently. He is the god of your universe right now, the all knowing, all seeing, omnipotent god of your universe. Listen, listen, and listen some more. Don't justify your errors, just work on them. Don't stress out about your performance unless he tells you it's an ongoing issue.

Trust me, I'm not long off of FTEP myself, and my high marks at the end weren't because I followed my own advice at the beginning. I had to learn exactly what I needed to do, how I needed to do it, and the proper learning attitude, even though I had prior experience before stepping into this job.

Gallium
08-05-2008, 00:17
I was never a police officer, but I can tell you, that for the most part, when you think you are sucking in a bad way, other people often think you have things under control.

Quit micro managing yourself, pay attention to the basics (underwear goes on first, pointy part of the cartridge goes THATAWAY >), make a mental note when you've messed something up, acknowledge errors IF the situation calls for it, ...and get back out there, oppressing folks, placing boots on necks. :cool:

'Drew

jarnld
08-05-2008, 01:40
Here's what I did. Im not the type that needs to be held by the hand, and my FTO and SGT/LT realized that. They kind of let me go on my own once I had the basics down. Essentially, if I could justify what I was doing, and followed procedure while doing it, I was in the clear.

Think through your actions. Think about what you're going to do and why and be prepared to explain WHY when you are asked. There was another recruit with me when I was hired that couldn't give a reason for anything. He had no original thoughts and even on his 13th week of FTO (thats out of 12 weeks required, mind you) he was still waiting for his FTO/command staff to tell him what to do. It was as if he had no idea what was going on. For example, he had seen the code 16-13-30 (GA drug code) for 13 weeks, but still didn't know what the code was or how much the bond for it was.

Dont be that guy.

Take some initiative and just be prepared to justify your actions. If you're about to do something that will get you and your FTO dead or sued, I promise he'll stop you. Oh yeah, and if you find that you've done something and can't justify it, and you turn out to be wrong in doing what you did, be prepared to admit fully that you were wrong and learn from it. You are expected to make mistakes you know!

Good luck and have fun. A great piece of advice given to me recently actually from members on Cop talk was develop a great sense of humor.

All just my opinion.

Best to you.

ray9898
08-05-2008, 06:55
I will echo the above....the training program is 12 to 16 weeks for a reason. Don't sweat it.

Hal9mm
08-05-2008, 11:29
Ok guys, thanks for the helpful hints, there is just so much to learn it can be a bit intimidating once you realize how little u actually know.

Gallium
08-05-2008, 12:21
Ok guys, thanks for the helpful hints, there is just so much to learn it can be a bit intimidating once you realize how little u actually know.

Speak for yourself greenhorn! :tongueout:

I've never set foot in a police academy (nor have the great majority of the populace), but rest assured that WE can in great detail, tell YOU about your job, how to do your job, the Bill of Rights, due process, reasonable cause, probable suspiciousness...

'Drew

longhaulcop
08-05-2008, 13:12
Hang in there, you have a lot to learn in a short period of time. It gets better with time and after awhile things will become 2nd nature and allow you to then concentrate on other things. FTO's know you are getting into information overload and the good ones will give you a little time to get it together!!!

SDforce
08-05-2008, 13:55

It will be that way for a while. Then 2-3 yrs on, you will think you have it all figured out... then at the 5th year, you will realize how little you knew at 2-3 yrs on and how much more you have to learn. I've got 8 years on and am still continuing to learn.

The key is, if you can't be the smartest or smoothest cop... you should be the safest cop you can be. Smart and smooth will come with time cuz the key is to make it home every night. Have fun with it and be a sponge. I always tell those around me that complain, "Well... you can either continue to do what you're doing now.. or you can quit and actually go work for a living."

So did you get on with SDPD? What are the ID #'s up to now?

TBO
03-26-2010, 17:58
:agree:

steveksux
03-26-2010, 18:36
Remember, "Success" begins with "Sucks" for a reason.

If you don't have a lot to learn they wouldn't want to waste the FTO's time to babysit you. They'd just ship you out in your own cruiser.

Try not to do anything too stupid, and try not to do the same stupid stuff twice... and you'll be fine.

I should mention that I'm not a cop, never went through FTO, but I in my favor I did watch the entire first season of SouthLAnd...

You need to be able to trust your instincts, this period is to keep an eye on you to make sure your instincts are good, and correct them where they are a bit iffy. Even if you don't do anything wrong, they're going to find stuff you can do better, so don't think there was any way you would get through this without being corrected along the way. Don't be defensive, listen and learn. They're trying to make sure you're squared away so you don't get yourself hurt...

Randy

m2hmghb
03-26-2010, 18:53
Why the bump TBO?

TBO
03-26-2010, 18:55
Still waiting for an update.

Patchman
03-26-2010, 19:06
I continue to make stupid mistakes in the field. This is my second week in FTO and I still am leaving things out of my reports and forgetting the basics.

It has been kinda frustrating.

Only two weeks out? Don't worry, you have another 25 years to leave things out of reports and forgetting the basics. :supergrin: So stop worrying and just be yourself.

SDForce's timeline is pretty accurate.

Sam Spade
03-26-2010, 19:51

He hasn't been on the board since October, 2008.

I'm guessing that you'll be waiting until the Pelosi/Buchanan love child is announced.

msu_grad_121
03-26-2010, 21:34
well thanks for the encouragement, sometimes I just get nervous out there, because I know I am being evaluated so then i screw up worse.

Ah, qucksand. Just remember, in all things, slow is smooth, smooth is quick. Take deep breaths, try to slow your racing mind down, and you'll find its easier to remember what you need to do in any situation.

Also, to quote my dad (who gave me great advice, even tho he hated my profession), do something, even if it's wrong. Keep your head up.

Napalm561
03-26-2010, 22:06
my "FTO" consisted of riding with my Chief for 2 weeks. After those 2 weeks were up, my Chief walked in and threw me the keys and said," Go do your thing." and I was on my own. Take this time to ask questions, and learn as much as possible. I don't know if you've been through the academy yet, if so, then you have learned the basics. If not, then ask questions, then ask for the reasoning behind the answers if it isn't obvious. FTO's have a criteria for new Officers, but also will understand if you make mistakes, as long as you learn from them. Even the Supreme Court (in a rare fit of common sense) recognizes LEO as humans, and that we make mistakes. Remember, Offcier safety is paramount.
Good luck, and try to have fun.

4949shooter
03-27-2010, 02:56
Why the bump TBO?

There is some history here...

Cochese
03-27-2010, 08:25
There is some history here...

I'll say. Its been a few years and I can't remember specifics but I remember wanting to choke this guy Hal out more than once.

TBO, can you link to any of his gems?

AngryBassets
03-27-2010, 09:00
well things haven't got better in the past few hours, hopefully she will mellow out by tommorow. At this point I really could care less i am tired of being treated like a doormat.

He got locked up after he dumped his wife in a lake.

TBO
03-27-2010, 09:14
Most of the gold is lost to the server roll-overs (the fool the polygraph attempts, the pre-LE job seeking LE bashing, etc.). Here's a few that were still there. (oh, and AngryBassets may just be right!)

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7124102#post7124102

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835990

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876609

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882637

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895930

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926844
-----------------------------------------------------
It's hard to believe he's been gone as along as Sam showed us. He got a lot of good advice from the GT LE members, would be nice to know how things panned out.

Cochese
03-27-2010, 09:34
I wish we could see more of the cop hating prior to his apps and failed polys.

I remember him being decidedly anticop then all of the sudden posting and asking how to beat pre-employment tests.

I hope he DIDN'T make it.

overload2020
03-27-2010, 12:45
50% of the time if your FTO tells you that you left something out of your report because he heard it and not you.. he is just ****ing with you... i audio taped all my contacts even traffic stops and when he tells me i left something out i go to the tape and sometimes tell the FTO.. "hummm really cause i recorded the whole convo and i did not hear what your talking about on the recording".. then it stopped... FTO is not ment to be smooth...

txleapd
03-27-2010, 13:37
I'll say. Its been a few years and I can't remember specifics but I remember wanting to choke this guy Hal out more than once.

TBO, can you link to any of his gems?

The guy was a freaking troll. How bad of a troll? Lemme put it this way..... There are only 4 people who have made my ignore list (I'm a tolerant guy). He is one of them.

nursetim
03-27-2010, 14:00
Am I the only one annoyed when people refer to it as FTO. FTO stands for Field Training Officer. You are having a problem during Field Training. To me it is like the Glocks that have clips...

Okay, rant over.
Like everyone said, this is the time for mistakes, just try not to make the same ones twice. I would write the needed info on a page in your note book and refer to that while on a call to double check you didn't forget anything. It helped me to get the info the same way on every call. When you get used to a certain order it helps you to make sure you have everything.

Letting the stress of someone looking over my shoulder get to me when I was on field training was my biggest problem; I did much better when I got on my own. Now 11 years later being a FTO, I notice the same stress in the trainees. Try to relax and forget about the guy looking over your shoulder. I know it is easier to say then to do but you will be fine.

We do the same thing in medicine. We work head to toe. We find an order that makes sense to the individual. In legal terms I think it's called "boiler plate" It is the stuff that remains the same in every, say contract, document you write. If you are expecting to be perfect, you are screwed, you are not. If you screw up, figure it out, make a plan of either how to fix it or learn from it and do not repeat it.

Good luck and try to take things in stride.

S.O.Interceptor
03-27-2010, 14:02
I know all the codes, its just I have a hard time putting them in use.--

Either you are an idiot savant... or not so much the savant part...

Isn't there an FTO that should be giving you NRT's somewhere?

You two ****ers owe me a new keyboard.

I don't remember much about ole Hal, but I wish I could read some of that anti-cop stuff.

After reading about his marital issues it makes me wonder if he doesn't post because the prison library doesn't have the internet.

silverado_mick
03-27-2010, 17:07

You remind me of a guy I'm helping to train right now. Great guy, great heart, knows what he wants to do and whats right, just not necessarily how to get it done every time. He stresses out over the little mistakes, especially paperwork related stuff that happens in the station.

I keep telling him that he's doing fine. Hell I've got 4 years on and I still try to make at least one mistake per shift :whistling:. How else are you supposed to learn stuff? DOn't sweat the small ****, and don't forget that your FTO and senior officers are there to help build you into a good cop. Ask them questions, even if they are similar to the ones you asked last week. Keep asking until you get it right and retain the info.

I for one never fault anyone for asking me a question about something "stupid". I forget things all the time and have to ask, why should someone with two whole weeks on the job be any different. HAng in there guy, it gets easier over time, and a whole lot more fun.

steveksux
03-27-2010, 17:57
Why the bump TBO?

If he thinks FTO is rough, he'll never survive the TBO..

Randy

m2hmghb
03-27-2010, 18:09
Most of the gold is lost to the server roll-overs (the fool the polygraph attempts, the pre-LE job seeking LE bashing, etc.). Here's a few that were still there. (oh, and AngryBassets may just be right!)

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7124102#post7124102

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835990

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876609

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882637

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895930

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926844
-----------------------------------------------------
It's hard to believe he's been gone as along as Sam showed us. He got a lot of good advice from the GT LE members, would be nice to know how things panned out.

Ok now I remember this guy. ****** bag 1st class.

03-28-2010, 00:16
As a FTO currently training a trainee I can understand, I think, where your coming from.

When I started 11 yrs ago I also was basically given the keys and told to go. I moved to a differant dept. that had standards.

Training has changed but so has the trainee. The current trainee is possibley the smartest, least likely educated and the most sensitive.

As a former Jarhead who is used to "funnin" with the newbies it's differant. He handles it ok. Just not like I'm used to.

Do what your told told to do. Don't ask questions and like it. Go by that and you"ll be ok.

Hack
03-29-2010, 13:49
He hasn't been on the board since October, 2008.

I'm guessing that you'll be waiting until the Pelosi/Buchanan love child is announced.

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!

I don't need another nightmare!:whistling:

TBO
12-24-2010, 10:30
Boom :tbo:

4949shooter
12-24-2010, 10:46
Another bump! :supergrin:

Fiery Red XIII
12-24-2010, 12:41
Boom :tbo:

Encouragement! Jes!!!

With your peacock chest!

Red :rofl: :animlol:

Patchman
12-24-2010, 12:48

Second week? :rofl:
Seriuosly, cut yourself some slack.

Cochese
12-25-2010, 10:33
I love it when people start giving advice to this assclown because they have no idea how much of an a-hole he is. Or was.

I think this was a troll account. This guy was too much of a POS to get hired anywhere.

Bullman
12-25-2010, 14:38
You may not believe it but it does the same thing to the FTO sometimes. I have a problem with having lived under two different disciplines, I worked for 17 years in another place where we did everything completely different and sometimes my current place throws a protocol whammy at me.

I feel like the dummy sometimes when my trainee asks me questions I am unsure of the answers on, because I can't remember how we do it here.

Bullman
12-25-2010, 14:39
guess I should have read past the first 5 posts

mikegun
12-25-2010, 19:01
hey I wrecked the patrol car on the day of my check ride. Dont sweat the small stuff. You will get better at the reports. In fact you will write so many that you will want to choke the little peckerwood that hit Old Man Hills mail box causing you to take a criminal mischief report 30 mins from end of shift.

Hey just as a little tip. Reports change from agency to agency. Print of blank copy of your incident/offense report and fill it out when you are taking information. If there is a blank it's there for a reason. Get the information and dont leave until all the little blanks are complete. Go back to the office/car and retype the report and write the narrative. Good luck.

VERY VERY GOOD ADVICE...:wavey:

jmorgis
12-26-2010, 08:32
Im also 3 weeks into my phase 1 FTO. Its extremely stressful. I agree....

Biggest issue i have is missing radio traffic. One dispatcher is extremely fast in relaying out the info on a CFS. By the time i hear my call #, i missed the transmission. Or other officers speak inaudible. Im so focused on not screwing up, and knowing my 10-20 and fellow officers 10-20 at every second. At the end of a shift im burnt...

4949shooter
12-26-2010, 08:40
jmorgis the first year is the hardest, and the first three months are the hardest of the first year.

The radio traffic you will get used to. It takes time.

Stay focused and you will be fine.

jmorgis
12-26-2010, 08:54
jmorgis the first year is the hardest, and the first three months are the hardest of the first year.

The radio traffic you will get used to. It takes time.

Stay focused and you will be fine.

Thanks...I understand why FTO is stressful. It has to be...I get it...But its not easy... For an example, when im patrolling, and my FTO says make a this turn, then another turn...a few seconds later, "Turn here"...

Then he will say "Where are you right now?" !! And i better have at least the right block and street/avenue...I got dinged on this one already. Or a couple minutes after another officer is on a traffic stop, he will say "Go to him now..." I missed that one also...Its hard enough knowing where im at, let alone everyone else..And yes its on the laptop screen, but he doesnt want me using that as a tool...he will close the down the screen, and say "Laptop's broke"....

There is so much stuff going on, so much stuff Im trying to remember...and not screwup...I want to do the best I can...

On a side note...And they dont tell you this in the Academy...You pull your gun daily... The 2nd night I was out, I had to pull it to clear a parking lot (after a shooting)..I thought "this is crazy" ..! But it turns out thats normal for us. This week I think i had to draw it 6 times..

Kahr_Glockman
12-26-2010, 09:28
Thanks...I understand why FTO is stressful. It has to be...I get it...But its not easy... For an example, when im patrolling, and my FTO says make a this turn, then another turn...a few seconds later, "Turn here"...

Then he will say "Where are you right now?" !! And i better have at least the right block and street/avenue...I got dinged on this one already. Or a couple minutes after another officer is on a traffic stop, he will say "Go to him now..." I missed that one also...Its hard enough knowing where im at, let alone everyone else..And yes its on the laptop screen, but he doesnt want me using that as a tool...he will close the down the screen, and say "Laptop's broke"....

There is so much stuff going on, so much stuff Im trying to remember...and not screwup...I want to do the best I can...

It gets to where it happens naturally. It is important to know where you are and where officers are. My agency doesn't have computers, so we have to know where we are. Your FTO is doing his job right. He is making you learn the streets so that if proverbial pooping hits the fan, you know how to get to an officer with out looking down at the screen.

The computer is a good tool, but it can become a crutch. Keep learning. You will make mistakes and you need to keep moving forward to keep learning.

Good Luck!

4949shooter
12-26-2010, 09:36
It sounds like you have a good FTO. He is doing what he feels he needs to do.

Your head will be spinning, but it is supposed to at this stage of the game.

You'll be okay. ;)

Hack
12-26-2010, 09:52

You'll be okay. ;)

Same sentiment, different beat. I remember what it was like beginning corrections in two different agencies. Yes, it is different, but there are things that are similar. You'll get used to it, and remember what it was like when you start to train rookies.

jmorgis
12-26-2010, 10:36

You'll be okay. ;)

No question he is a great FTO. I just need to ramp up, its his job to make me into a good Cop...I have a couple days before my next shift, Im studying my beat, and codes...So next time he asks me to "55" a guy, i will know what he means..

Thanks guys for your insight..and support.. :bowdown:

TBO
01-08-2011, 14:53
<----just had lunch with some FTO's.

They invited me to sit down with them and go over some new ideas.

4949shooter
01-08-2011, 15:17
Anything sound promising as far as new ideas go?

AngryBassets
01-08-2011, 16:09
Anything sound promising as far as new ideas go?

Never let people responsible for training young, impressionable officers have lunch with and accept input from disgruntled, borderline-personality dinosaurs.

dp509
01-08-2011, 17:45

This. Remeber, watch the hands.

Be nice to everyone you meet, have a game face and have a plan to kill everyone you meet. :wow:

Do what ever it takes to go home at the end of the shift..............:whistling:

Bullman
01-08-2011, 19:24
When we are in the office I am making the boot wear a red training pistol. I saw him put his sidearm right in some arrestees face who was cuffed to the bar while he was serving a warrant the other day. I intend to break him of that. He won't let anyone near that thing before I am done with him.

bccop
01-09-2011, 02:26

Our training is 3 months at the academy, 3 months field training, and 3 months at the academy. I had just graduated and was at the beginning of my one year probationary period. I was working nights with someone very senior (25 years) in a two man car. He was driving and I was in the passenger seat starting when all of a sudden he slams on the brakes and starts running toward the nearest lane. I immediately run after him and am about to key my portable but not sure what was going on. Within seconds I catch up to him standing just around the corner.

His first words were, "Where are we?"

I give him the location.

"Why are we running?" "I have no idea but I was just about to give my first broadcast. I just wanted to keep up with you."

"Good. You'll be fine. Let's get back in the car."

You will be amazed how much you will improve in a short period of time. Study your map on days off and learn those streets. In time you will hear the radio traffic and know where everyone else is as well. Don't rely on that computer. I would have my recruits close the screen whenever they weren't using it and pay attention instead to what is out there. If they weren't paying attention I would come to a sudden stop, slam the screen shut and ask them where we were.

4949shooter
01-09-2011, 06:33
Never let people responsible for training young, impressionable officers have lunch with and accept input from disgruntled, borderline-personality dinosaurs.

Haha sounds like me. :supergrin:

TBO
01-09-2011, 10:44
Old farts discussing the difference in "Generation Y".

TBO
05-17-2011, 21:12
Seeing a Polygraph thread on the page, I was reminded of this!

steveksux
05-17-2011, 21:49
Seeing a Polygraph thread on the page, I was reminded of this!

Seeing the polygraph thread, I was reminded of this!
http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/peanut-butter-jar-dog.jpg

Randy

DaBigBR
05-18-2011, 10:10
Hal9mm...please pick up the red courtesy phone...Hal9mm...your partying is holding on the red courtesy phone.

Morris
05-18-2011, 10:48
I'm starting to wonder if there is a Zombie problem with all the threads rising from the dead . . .

Or is it thread rapture?

Gallium
05-18-2011, 13:26
I'm starting to wonder if there is a Zombie problem with all the threads rising from the dead . . .

Or is it thread rapture?

3 more days to get your self right before the big extrication.

Seeing that you should already have my address, why dont'cha go ahead and ship me all of your gun stuff (class III) stuff is ok too, since we'll be in full anarchy anyways :supergrin:

'Drew

Spiffums
05-18-2011, 17:33
What's the old saying, If your not making mistakes your not doing anything.

txleapd
05-18-2011, 17:49

Hal is on my ignore list.... I don't remember why, but I do know that I only have a handful of people on my ignore list, and I don't add people without REALLY good reason.

Morris
05-18-2011, 21:51
Hell, I'm a Drudic Princess rooting for the rapture so I can have the planet back.

DaBigBR
05-19-2011, 00:15
Hal is on my ignore list.... I don't remember why, but I do know that I only have a handful of people on my ignore list, and I don't add people without REALLY good reason.

His last post was 10/2008, so I think it's safe to say that your ignore list is not the issue.

Which reminds me, where the hell is SPDSNYPR?

TBO
01-27-2012, 23:13
FTO hasn't gotten any easier. :tbo:

TBO
12-15-2012, 23:37
Performance Evaluation time of year. :cool:

krathis
12-17-2012, 16:39
Ok...in some strange way..reading this thread makes me wish I was 20 years younger and able to re-do do all that stupid nugget stuff again....

Kahr_Glockman
12-17-2012, 17:53
Wow this thread delivers! Still!

Sidhe
12-17-2012, 19:07
Yes... Yes it does.

golls17
12-17-2012, 22:05
Man, I was all ready to give this guy advice and talk about personal experiences about what stressing too much can do to you! Why'd I have to read past page 2 before responding?! Now I don't get to type a long essay of, "If you don't learn from your mistakes, learn from mine." What will I do with my time?

4949shooter
12-18-2012, 07:25
I struggled through FTO.

24 years ago. :supergrin:

Of course, we didn't call it FTO back then. :wavey:

4949shooter
12-18-2012, 07:26
Yes... Yes it does.

Hey Kat! :wavey:

BigSpenda864
12-18-2012, 10:46
I just wasted a lot of time reading through this thread. Thanks for the time I'll never get back!

CLoft239
12-18-2012, 11:15

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

Cochese
12-18-2012, 17:45
Yes... Yes it does.

:faint:

She lives!

Dragoon44
12-18-2012, 17:55
:faint:

She lives!

it's the zombie Apocalypse!!!!!

:rofl:

CLoft239
12-20-2012, 12:51
it's the zombie Apocalypse!!!!!

:rofl:

No, that's not until midnight tonight!

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

ranger1968
12-21-2012, 13:52
Holy smokes, necro-thread!:rofl:

Did Hal make it out of FTO?......It's been more than 4 years, so we should know by now.....:faint:

He felt like he was "struggling" 2 weeks into 1st phase.....2 weeks into 1st phase, they can't even wipe their noses yet.:whistling:

TBO
07-31-2013, 02:30
Extended?

m2hmghb
07-31-2013, 02:59
Has the thread come back from the dead again?

steveksux
07-31-2013, 03:57
Extended?

Referring to Hal's FTO, or the re-thread? :D

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

BigSpenda864
07-31-2013, 08:46
Now that I've read the thread, I have to know how he's doing now? Is he still around?

m2hmghb
07-31-2013, 09:36
TBO why did you have to bring out the friggin defib again? Wasn't once enough?

volsbear
07-31-2013, 10:20
Nevermind.

pal2511
07-31-2013, 11:22
I'm in week 15 of my 16 week FTO and I still make mistakes. What really helped with my report writing was to get a digital recorder. I have the Olympus VN-2100PC, it is awesome. I use it all the time when I need to take paper. I also wright notes just in case it takes a dump on me. My last DV report went through my FTO and the SGT with only one capitalization error. It is a wonderful tool. Just remember to turn off the beeper that indicates when you turn it on or off. BTW never I mean never download the audio onto any computer, it can be subpoenaed. I only use it for report writing purposes, never for evidence.

About mistakes in the field, just don't keep making the same ones over and over again. The big no no's are officer safety mistakes.

I use my personal video recorder for evidence all the time. Ive had it save me when the "witness/Victim" lied on the stand on what her husband did to her. They played her speaking to me and for some reason she was talking about something totally different :) I unfortunately didn't get to see her face when they played the video back.

CW Mock
08-02-2013, 18:37
BigSpenda,

If he's around, its probably on supervised probation or parole. Kid had loser tattooed on his forehead with the crap he mentioned.

Wasn't it San Diego PD that had to probably get rid of him?

countrygun
08-02-2013, 18:55
I wasn't around for the thread, but looking at the title my first thought was,

"Uh, yah, FTO is supposed to be a struggle, what's your point?"

4949shooter
08-03-2013, 05:01
Zombi thread.

CJStudent
08-03-2013, 13:46
Zombi thread.

It's undead, keeps coming back, and eats your brain?

countrygun
08-03-2013, 13:56
It's undead, keeps coming back, and eats your brain?

"Brains, brains, thread needs brains"

TBO
07-29-2014, 11:11
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100425025321/walkingdead/images/5/5e/Animated_zombie_(3).gif

RussP
07-29-2014, 11:59
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100425025321/walkingdead/images/5/5e/Animated_zombie_(3).gif

:cool: