What I learned about setting up Vista (Home Basic SP1) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What I learned about setting up Vista (Home Basic SP1)

Old School
07-21-2008, 14:42
For a variety of reasons I don't wish to get into, I purchased a Dell laptop with Vista Home Basic. It was through SP 1 so I thought most of the bugs were resolved. Here's what I learned - sharing for fellow GTers and anyone else who goes down that path.

The biggest adjustment with Vista is setup patience. What we previously learned about internet speed and RAM don't matter. Seriously. Obscene T1, true gigabit performance with 1 TB RAM don't mean jack. It's just going to take time. Don't fight it. If you do anything else before these steps, you will have to restore to your original settings and start over. You can't shortcut the process. If you've done otherwise and had better luck - you're lucky. This is for those who don't want to invite Vista headaches.

Day 1: Turn on your new machine with it wired to the net. That means no wireless during setup. Stay away from anything but the most basic router settings. If you're doing static IPs, etc, I suggest plugging directly into your modem. Answer their questions to set up a password, etc and before you do ANYTHING, let it connect to the Windows Update site. This will take about 1.5 hour. Let the updates install, another 45 minutes. Let the security updates happen and complete scan happen. Go ahead and dedicate an 8 hour day for this setup. Let it cycle through the scheduled auto update process (at 2AM or whenever) before you do anything else.

Day 2 It's safe to open MS Word, etc and 'register' the software. Again, this communicates with MS, so it could take a while. Don't do anything else, letting the scheduled MS update happen again.

Day 3 is when Vista feels that you have correctly prioritized MS software and you are allowed to do everything else. Connecting to wireless, printers, uninstalling unwanted s/w, installing 3 party browsers, firewalls, virus, malware, etc.

I'm through day 7 and things seem to be going well. I wouldn't say that the software has bugs in the traditional sense, but it's far from a clean process. Best to wait as long as you can before moving to Vista.

Steve in PA
07-21-2008, 22:39
Sorry, I've been running Vista on my HP laptop for almost two years and I never had any of those issues when I fired mine up. Mine was running from our wireless router from the minute I turned it on. Okay, took a few minutes to configure everything.

Sgt. Schultz
07-22-2008, 06:50
For a variety of reasons I don't wish to get into, I purchased a Dell laptop with Vista Home Basic. If it came with Vista installed what did you have to setup? All you should have had to do was decrapify and customize the OS.

If you do anything else before these steps, you will have to restore to your original settings and start over. You can't shortcut the process. What are you talking about???

Day 1: Turn on your new machine with it wired to the net. That means no wireless during setup. Stay away from anything but the most basic router settings. If you're doing static IPs, etc, I suggest plugging directly into your modem. Answer their questions to set up a password, etc and before you do ANYTHING, let it connect to the Windows Update site. This will take about 1.5 hour. Let the updates install, another 45 minutes. Let the security updates happen and complete scan happen. Go ahead and dedicate an 8 hour day for this setup. Let it cycle through the scheduled auto update process (at 2AM or whenever) before you do anything else. You should never allow any version of Windows to automatically download any updates, history shows that doing so has created more problems then it solves. Also it is always faster to download the full service pack and install it from your computer then it is to connect to an update site and do it on line.

Day 2 It's safe to open MS Word, etc and 'register' the software. Again, this communicates with MS, so it could take a while. Don't do anything else, letting the scheduled MS update happen again. Why register the software? What’s the point; you give them your personal info and receive spam and junk mail in return.

Day 3 is when Vista feels that you have correctly prioritized MS software and you are allowed to do everything else. Connecting to wireless, printers, uninstalling unwanted s/w, installing 3 party browsers, firewalls, virus, malware, etc. Day 3??? By this point I’m at a loss … I have done clean installs of Vista in less then 4 hours … and this includes all of the latest updates. If the customer wants additional software or hardware (Printers, Scanners, Office etc …) because of reboots it can be a six hour job … my installations always include installing 3 party browsers, firewalls, virus software, etc …

Best to wait as long as you can before moving to Vista. Again you bought a preloaded computer …

RTmarc
07-22-2008, 09:05
If it came with Vista installed what did you have to setup? All you should have had to do was decrapify and customize the OS.

What are you talking about???

You should never allow any version of Windows to automatically download any updates, history shows that doing so has created more problems then it solves. Also it is always faster to download the full service pack and install it from your computer then it is to connect to an update site and do it on line.

Why register the software? What’s the point; you give them your personal info and receive spam and junk mail in return.

Day 3??? By this point I’m at a loss … I have done clean installs of Vista in less then 4 hours … and this includes all of the latest updates. If the customer wants additional software or hardware (Printers, Scanners, Office etc …) because of reboots it can be a six hour job … my installations always include installing 3 party browsers, firewalls, virus software, etc …

Again you bought a preloaded computer …
I really couldn't have said anything different. The only thing I can figure is that he is on a dial-up connection.

+1

srg
07-22-2008, 09:17
I bought an HP desktop last March, has vista home premium edition.

Ran perfect right out of the box, only had to "decrapify" (great term by the way) and choose what wallpaper I wanted etc.

There was absolutely no big wait times in downloading updates, and that includes when I updated to sp1 when it became available.

Either there is something wrong with your computer, right out of the box, or your internet connection has something wrong with it.

srg

Sgt. Schultz
07-22-2008, 09:24
only had to "decrapify" (great term by the way)Wish I could take credit for it but there actually is a program to do it for you ...

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home

RTmarc
07-22-2008, 09:35
I bought an HP desktop last March, has vista home premium edition.

Ran perfect right out of the box, only had to "decrapify" (great term by the way) and choose what wallpaper I wanted etc.

There was absolutely no big wait times in downloading updates, and that includes when I updated to sp1 when it became available.

Either there is something wrong with your computer, right out of the box, or your internet connection has something wrong with it.

srg
Don't forget about the ever-ellusive PEBKAC issues.