Ubuntu [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu

Razrbk444
07-22-2008, 13:40
Being a Windows user for 10 years, I can't understand why it is so difficult to install and uninstall programs on Ubuntu. I installed it to try it out, and must say I find it very usable for web surfing and email. But installing third party software is the suck. I installed Google Earth and it doesn't work, and can't seem to get it uninstalled spite serious Googling. Getting my PVR 150 TV tuner to work may be a task as well. It may take me 10 years to get the hang of Ubuntu.:upeyes:

ETA: And what is with this "Terminal" thing? Seems to be like cmd in Windows, but even less user friendly.....Rant off.

Washington,D.C.
07-22-2008, 14:00
Google Earth requires 3d video drivers. These don't come with the Ubuntu installation CD.

Depending on which video card you have it may be easy or not so easy to install 3d video drivers. Some video cards do not work well at all in Linux.

Do you know your exact video card?

Razrbk444
07-22-2008, 14:07
Nvidia MSI 8800GT 512mb video card. I checked the enable box for the third party video driver from Nvidia Ubuntu said I needed.

Washington,D.C.
07-22-2008, 14:24
That Nvidia card should work fine in Linux.

IndyGunFreak
07-22-2008, 21:48
Nvidia MSI 8800GT 512mb video card. I checked the enable box for the third party video driver from Nvidia Ubuntu said I needed.

Ubuntu is probably the easiest version of Linux there is...

Installing software is easily done w/ Synaptic Package Manager..(System/Admin/Synaptic)... Search for whatever program you want, mark it for install, and it will install all the dependencies you need w/ it.

Is Google Earth actually installed?.. How did you install it? If you have the driver enabled in System/Admin/Hardware Drivers, then you should be fine w/ Google Earth. need more details on this...

The PVR150 is pretty easy to get working(assuming you're using a normal coax input) I've got some links for that... The Remote will probably be impossible to get working,

Terminal is a way to do things w/o a graphical environment... way better than DOS.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
07-22-2008, 21:58
Try this for your TV tuner...

Open a terminal(Applications/Accessories/Terminal), and type
sudo apt-get install ivtv-utils vlc

once that is done.. open VLC(Applications/Sound and Video/VLC)
Then File/Open Capture Device/PVR/ok

If all goes well, your TV should turn on.

to change the channel, type this in a terminal... ivtv-tune -c(channel #)
example...
ivtv-tune -c39 would change to channel 39... that got pretty annoying typing that so much, so i made an easy script, so I could just type, "c39", and it would switch me to channel 39.

IGF

Razrbk444
07-22-2008, 23:22
Thanks W,D.C. and IGF. I may have been a bit hasty in my OP, frustrated ya know. I downloaded the Google Earth Linux version .deb I think it was, and followed the instructions from the internet. I have since found it in the Synaptic Package Manager and may try it again. After the initial installation, it would open the application, but would only show the stars (no earth) and all the options and features were grayed out. IGF, I'll try your suggestion for the TV tuner.....Thanks again fellas.

Razrbk444
07-23-2008, 01:57
IGF, Got the TV Tuner working.....Thanks.:rock:

IndyGunFreak
07-23-2008, 04:44
Thanks W,D.C. and IGF. I may have been a bit hasty in my OP, frustrated ya know. I downloaded the Google Earth Linux version .deb I think it was, and followed the instructions from the internet. I have since found it in the Synaptic Package Manager and may try it again. After the initial installation, it would open the application, but would only show the stars (no earth) and all the options and features were grayed out. IGF, I'll try your suggestion for the TV tuner.....Thanks again fellas.

OK, first...

Go to System/Preferences/Appearance, and click the "Visual Effects" tab. Change that to "Extra".... See if Ubuntu enables 3D desktop effects, or if you get an error "desktop effects could not be enabled"... If DE enables w/o an error, then your video driver is setup properly for 3D, and the problem is with the application. If you get the error, then the problem is with your video drivers(I have Google Earth and it works fine for me)

If 3D enables OK, then I would open a terminal and run sudo apt-get --purge remove googleearth

Once you've purged and removed Googleearth.. and do the below...
1. Go here... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
2. Look for the appropriate repository for your version of Ubuntu, and copy/paste the line there in a terminal, to add that repository. Make sure
you don't accidentally copy any extra spaces, etc, before/after the command.
3. Add the GPG Key basically doing the same as above. This is not 100% necessary, but if you don't, you'll get errors that you
have an unverified repository every time you install something.
4. sudo apt-get install googleearth
5. Start GE and see if it works.

After you're done hopefully GE will work, whether it does or not, after you've added the medibuntu repository, I would recommend running the following command...
sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2

w32codecs, will enable support for several windows media files..(.avi, .mp3, .wma, .wmv, etc.) libdvdcss2, will enable watching Commercial DVDs (use VLC...)

IGF

Razrbk444
07-23-2008, 14:04
Thanks again IGF. Google Earth is working. You're my hero for the day.:bowdown:

IndyGunFreak
07-23-2008, 14:56
So the problem w/ Google earth, was likely that the .deb file you downloaded, did not resolve some dependency for some reason.

Thats why whenever possible, you should use synaptic to install programs. Glad you got it all going to your satisfaction!

IGF

g29andy
07-27-2008, 16:57
Doesn't Sabayon Linux come with Google Earth? They just released an updated distro on July 1.

Washington,D.C.
07-27-2008, 17:19
Doesn't Sabayon Linux come with Google Earth? They just released an updated distro on July 1.

Yes it has it. The download is huge. It's a DVD. I don't think they have a CD version for the latest release.

g29andy
07-27-2008, 17:57
I'm burning the Sabayon DVD as I type. I think there was a "mini" version that will fit on a CD.

g29andy
07-27-2008, 20:10
Installing Sabayon to slave drive, there was an option for install to those little E
eepc mini laptops coming out now, but the option was labeled "experimental"

Sorry for the semi-hijack; I've been playing with Ubuntu, but going to try out the new Sabayon distro because it looks loaded up with goodies like Google Earth already included. So far it recognized and automatically installed the driver for my older GeForce 7600GS card. The install is taking a good amount of time, though.

IndyGunFreak
07-28-2008, 06:37

Yes but Sabayon(based on Gentoo) is quite a bit more complex than Ubuntu. It does come w/ a horde of programs installed though, thus the reason for only a DVD available, not a CD.

Installing GE on Ubuntu, as you saw(when done properly), takes all of about 3min, and is a far easier distribution to use. As for your Video card driver that will also be setup on Ubuntu as soon as you install by Hardware Driver manager.

IGF

g29andy
07-28-2008, 16:42
The Ubuntu dual boot was easier/simpler to install. Even though I selected installing Sabayon on the slave drive, I somehow managed to corrupt XP2 on the master drive. Screwed up the bootmgr and mbr.

Doing the "disk image" restore thing now, with BartPE and DIxml, hopefully it works so I don't have to do a clean reinstall of XP.

Washington,D.C.
07-29-2008, 00:53
The Ubuntu dual boot was easier/simpler to install. Even though I selected installing Sabayon on the slave drive, I somehow managed to corrupt XP2 on the master drive. Screwed up the bootmgr and mbr.

Doing the "disk image" restore thing now, with BartPE and DIxml, hopefully it works so I don't have to do a clean reinstall of XP.

In a dual boot I like having Windows installed on the slave drive. Linux on the master drive. This way the Windows MBR doesn't get overwritten. For best results after partitioning reboot the PC before installing Linux. Not all installers allow this. Some installers let you use the CD/DVD as the boot device and you don't have to write a new MBR on the hard drive at all. If the CD/DVD has an option "boot from the hard drive" then you can just use the disk to boot Linux. I use floppies still sometimes if I have that option or a USB flash drive if the PC will boot from USB. I'll do my partitioning first even if the installer redoes it. If it doesn't it's always best to reboot after partitioning then the install disk can find all of the partition when it boots. I get fewer errors this way.

IndyGunFreak
07-29-2008, 04:51

I'm assuming you were getting a "Grub Error".. Probably 17 or 21.

You could have fixed either of those w/o a lot of effort. I'm not real familiar w/ Fixing grub errors, but you can usually, at bare minimum, erase grub, and get back to just Windows. I also tend to agree w/ everything DC said about partitioning. I rarely let the installer do it. Usually I'll boot a Partedmagic Live CD, remove whatever partitions I'm wanting to delete, manually setup the free space for whatever Linux I'm installng, then boot the Install Disk of whatever I'm wanting to install, and use the manual partition setup during the install process to install to the unallocated space left by the partitions I deleted w/ Partedmagic.

It's always worked for me... ;)

IGF

g29andy
07-29-2008, 10:19
Thanks guys, great tips!

I'm impressed with DriveImageXML and the BartPE disc. That was the first time I've had to rely on it, and it saved my bacon.

I'll try your suggestion to slave XP and master linux. Also burning a Partedmagic CD.

Thanks again!

Washington,D.C.
07-29-2008, 13:15
It's best to slave the Windows drive with the Windows MBR intact. That way it can boot from the Linux bootloader or on it's own when it's the master drive.

g29andy
07-29-2008, 17:21
Burned Partitionmagic CD. The partition program is Gparted, which is also on the Sabayon live DVD, but it sure boots alot faster.

I'll try changing the XP drive to slave, and installing either Ubuntu or Sabayon on the new master drive.

Thanks again!

IndyGunFreak
08-01-2008, 11:45
Burned Partitionmagic CD. The partition program is Gparted, which is also on the Sabayon live DVD, but it sure boots alot faster.

I'll try changing the XP drive to slave, and installing either Ubuntu or Sabayon on the new master drive.

Thanks again!

Partition Magic, and Parted Magic, are different programs... Partition Magic, I believe is made by Symantec, and runs about $70. Parted Magic is free.. :)

Hope it all works out.

IGF

g29andy
08-01-2008, 14:08
Typo, meant partedmagic. I like free.