Not getting outlook mail at home [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Not getting outlook mail at home

Luckysteve
07-24-2008, 16:04
I have had 2 other employees talk to me about this and now I am having this issue. For some reason whenever we are not at the office and try and check our pop3 work email (mail.ourwebsite.com) through outlook. Any reasons you guys can think of?

kc8ykd
07-24-2008, 20:18
Did you just start having the problem, like it was working previously?

Are you using laptops that you access the email successfully in the office and take home where the email stops working?

If it never worked, it's possible that the email server on your corporate network isn't available for checking mail from outside of that network.

If it worked in the past, it's possible that a rule changed in the firewall for the corporate network, disallowing public access to the mail server (for checking mail). This could have been an accident or intentional.

Remotely diagnosing and solving this problem is very difficult without the name of the mail server and more information about the setup of the corporate network.

You do not want to give any of that information out. Talk to your IT guy and tell him what's happening and they'll be able to track it down further.

It's also possible that your local isp is disallowing outbound pop3 connections. Either way, your local IT people will be able to determine the cause of the issue.

Luckysteve
07-25-2008, 07:29
Did you just start having the problem, like it was working previously?

Are you using laptops that you access the email successfully in the office and take home where the email stops working?

yes.

If it never worked, it's possible that the email server on your corporate network isn't available for checking mail from outside of that network.

Not a corporate network, its just an email server hosted by the guy who hosts our website.

If it worked in the past, it's possible that a rule changed in the firewall for the corporate network, disallowing public access to the mail server (for checking mail). This could have been an accident or intentional.

Never worked in the past.

Remotely diagnosing and solving this problem is very difficult without the name of the mail server and more information about the setup of the corporate network.

You do not want to give any of that information out. Talk to your IT guy and tell him what's happening and they'll be able to track it down further.

Sadly, I R the IT guy, I think I am going to call my host's tech support.

It's also possible that your local isp is disallowing outbound pop3 connections. Either way, your local IT people will be able to determine the cause of the issue.

That sounds the most likely, I really wonder why or how the hell they could do that. If they were blocking that particular port could I somehow forward the port on my router for outbound pop3 traffic.

srhoades
07-25-2008, 08:05
That sounds the most likely, I really wonder why or how the hell they could do that. If they were blocking that particular port could I somehow forward the port on my router for outbound pop3 traffic.

You can't port forward traffic that isn't coming through in the first place. More than likely you will have to change your incoming and outgoing servers to SSL ones, provided your host is setup for that.

kc8ykd
07-25-2008, 15:16
yes.

Not a corporate network, its just an email server hosted by the guy who hosts our website.

Never worked in the past.

Sadly, I R the IT guy, I think I am going to call my host's tech support.

ISP's routinely block all sorts of ports, it's possible someone typo'd a command. For example, at&t usually blocks smtp (sending mail) on their residential dsl connections to prevent virus infected computers from spewing spam. One has to call or email a request to have it removed. Ports are usually also blocked that prevent parts of ip-based windows file sharing, again, done to prevent the spread of virii and worms.

A good way to check out what's happening, is to do this:

if using windows:
click on the start button
click on run
type 'cmd', hit enter
at the command prompt, type:

'tracert (mail server)'

the results will vary and can reveal some information you probably don't want posted publically, if you want, PM me the results and I can take a look at them. They will help determine if the problem is your local ISP or with the remote mail server.

Also, after the tracert command is done, type this:

'telnet (mail server) 110'

again, PM me the results.

If you are using an operating system other than windows, lemme know and I'll send along the procedure for the other operating system.

The reason I'm suggesting you PM the information is because it will reveal your specific IP, your ISP, possibly your city, and the name and IP of your mail server.