More Alabama Gun News [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More Alabama Gun News

mossy500camo
07-25-2008, 09:45
More Alabama & Georgia Gun news from tv news channel 3 Wrbl Columbus.

What are your Gun Rights?
By Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield Reporter
News Three On Your Side

There's a big chance you or someone you know carries a gun. In fact a survey out this week says nearly half of Alabamians carry concealed weapons.

So whether you live in Alabama - or in Georgia - what exactly are your rights to use a gun in self defense? Well - its property protection week, here at news three and we’re on your side with what you need to know.

Lefty Encarnacion says he's always been - well tough - he got his nickname as a kid because of the left hook punch he threw at a bully - but now the stakes are higher.

Says Encarnacion, “I'm not afraid to shoot and I refuse to take the abuse I've been taking.”

Lefty's talking about a shooting at his store a few weeks back. A suspect came in and shot his cook in the head. The cook survived - but Lefty hasn’t recovered.

I’ve been with my wife 33 years. I've never put a gun in her hand, now she's got one and I said ‘Don't worry about shooting’.”

But is that legal? Here's what the law says when it comes to using your gun to defend yourself.

According to Georgia's self defense statute:

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself.

The Alabama statute says:

A person is justified in using physical force upon another from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of unlawful physical force by that other person. A person may use deadly force.

Now, if your life is not being threatened, laws are different - according to whose property you're on and what state you're in. One way to find out specific rights is to call your local district attorney’s office.

Back at Millie's Market - Encarnacion is ready to fight back if he comes under fire again.

Says Encarnacion, “I refuse to take anymore robberies, burglaries. I'll give up my life before Ilet somebody take something I worked for - period.”

Now Lefty Encarnacion made a big decision today - he put his business of 12 years- Millie’s Market on the market to sell.

Now, it’s been nearly a month since gun laws in Georgia changed. The new laws allow people with permits to carry concealed weapons to take them into public restaurants that sell alcohol.

But the law does not allow them to order alcohol. If they do, they can be charged with a misdemeanor. We talked with a local gun store employee to see if he's seen a spike in sales since laws for carrying-became more lenient.

Bob Bessinger of Shooters of Columbus says, “I really have not seen any difference in clientele coming in and making purchases. It's just kind of a clarification to those who have firearms not to carry them illegally.”
We also talked to several folks with Harris County Sheriffs Department about the changes. They say they have not seen a change in gun related calls since the new laws went into effect.

marklbucla
08-04-2008, 17:23
In fact a survey out this week says nearly half of Alabamians carry concealed weapons.

Seriously? I thought high CCW issuance was like 5% of a population. Don't you think that they'd mean that they are gun owners, not CCWers?

Robert A.
08-04-2008, 18:47
I belive that was a mis-quote. The artical says that two-thirds of Alabamians own guns and nearly half have carry permits. Whitch I take it to mean half of the two-thirds. I may be wrong, but thats how I see it.

elrod
08-08-2008, 18:59
There's a big chance you or someone you know carries a gun. In fact a survey out this week says nearly half of Alabamians carry concealed weapons.

Nearly half????? Counting wimmin 'n kids???? Ain't no way, 'less the thugs have really got us outgunned!

:holysheep: