CCDW Applicants' Surprising Mindset [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCDW Applicants' Surprising Mindset

Captain38
07-26-2008, 15:08
I've just come from a CCDW class conducted by a friend and newly licensed instructor. As a former Instructor Trainer, I was just there as an observer and to put a few rounds downrange myself. Everything went smoothly and everyone, not surprising, passed with ease.

I was, however, surprised to learn that 60% of the group indicated that they PROBABLY would NOT begin carrying right away after receiving their CCDW licenses but just wanted to have the legal option to do so if they so choose.

KYJoe
07-27-2008, 07:55
I've just come from a CCDW class conducted by a friend and newly licensed instructor. As a former Instructor Trainer, I was just there as an observer and to put a few rounds downrange myself. Everything went smoothly and everyone, not surprising, passed with ease.

I was, however, surprised to learn that 60% of the group indicated that they PROBABLY would NOT begin carrying right away after receiving their CCDW licenses but just wanted to have the legal option to do so if they so choose.

I would say my class was 50/50 that way. I think a lot of Kentuckians, wisely I might add, are hedging their bets against what could be a very anti-gun administration in 09. I would rather the CCDW rolls swell up in numbers even if a majority of those with permits never plan on carrying. It is a loud and clear political statement. I don't think we have anything to worry about here in the Commonwealth as we reside in very pro-gun state, but better safe than sorry.

Berretta9
07-27-2008, 11:04
I teach that class and it's a question I usually ask a group. It's usually about 25% who will do it daily as soon as they can. I can't say that I carry on my person all the time. Depends on where I'm going more than any other factor. My original reason for getting it was because a large number of police offices don't know where you can legally keep a gun in your car without a permit. Not because I wanted to carry daily. After getting into it, the gun thing just snowballed.

amr40509
07-28-2008, 07:25
That doesn't really suprise me at all. I know a LOT of people who have a permit and really don't carry that often here in KY.

I've had my permit for about 5.5years and really probably only carry an average of about 4 hours a week. I have the permit for the OPTION to carry.