Any opinions on 13F (Forward Observer) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on 13F (Forward Observer)

Biscuitsjam
07-27-2008, 10:25
I'm currently at 19D (Cavalry Scout) MOS school, reclassing from 19K (Armor). I've been doing the cavalry job for a couple years now and I've enjoyed it. However, I've been told that there are a lot of 13F (Forward Observer) slots open within the squadron, and I can reclass if I want.

So, basically, I'll get the choice of going to Afghanistan as a Cavalry Scout or as a Forward Observer.

So, anybody have opinions on the Forward Observer MOS?

I like my job and I like my unit. However, I might have to change units anyway when I get promoted to Sergeant...

ShelbyGoat
07-27-2008, 10:54
last year when I was at Knox for BNCOC they were changing 19K over to Delta's, involuntarily..

Biscuitsjam
07-27-2008, 14:30
Yep, that's what I did. I've been doing the 19D job for two years now, though I'm only now getting to actually go to the MOS school.

I like my unit, I like my job, and I'm good at it. I'll probably stay where I am, BUT... I at least want to know what I'd be giving up here.

tankerfrank
07-30-2008, 23:53
I'm currently at 19D (Cavalry Scout) MOS school, reclassing from 19K (Armor). I've been doing the cavalry job for a couple years now and I've enjoyed it. However, I've been told that there are a lot of 13F (Forward Observer) slots open within the squadron, and I can reclass if I want.

So, basically, I'll get the choice of going to Afghanistan as a Cavalry Scout or as a Forward Observer.

So, anybody have opinions on the Forward Observer MOS?

I like my job and I like my unit. However, I might have to change units anyway when I get promoted to Sergeant...

IMOP You may be safer in cavalry scout in Afghaistan, but on the other hand would the Forward Observer be in aviation, if so I WOULD JUMP AT THAT! but if not who in the hell wants the sit down on a cold Mountain call in bomb drop,

IT really hurts me to see the Army doing this to us tanker (me old broken down DAT 19F10) I know it is a whole new ball game atfer 911 from the cold war, JUST IMOP

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOU AND THE MEN UNDER YOU..

FRANK

bburgi
08-03-2008, 22:42
-----

tank3r
08-05-2008, 15:30
IMO...Take the foxtrot.

tank3r
08-05-2008, 15:36
tankerfrank,

I'm a DAT named Frank too. :cheers:

tankerfrank
08-06-2008, 23:58
tankerfrank,

I'm a DAT named Frank too. :cheers:

Clankety clank, I'm a tank....Pickles SIR! Best by Test!

M60A3 RULE!!!!!:tongueout:

RONSTAR
08-15-2008, 15:35
Gotta love the fisters

xxiv
08-17-2008, 21:27
FO's were good dudes. Walked the walk with us on patrol most times. Best the arty guys have to offer.

RONSTAR
08-18-2008, 01:02
Best the arty guys have to offer.
Yes for sure.

straitshooter
09-02-2008, 10:39
if you want to go into an MOS where you don't do your MOS have at it. when was the last time we really used call for fire? and i doubt it will be happening any time in the near future. but if your happy with that go for it.

Chaz375
09-02-2008, 11:11
Biscuitsjam,
As an AH-64 pilot, I work with FOs almost on a daily basis flying in Iraq. For the vast majority that I have worked with, they have all been a great group of guys to work for - they're all very knowledgeable, and I think that they have a very important job. Sure, in a Bradley or a Tank you have a huge amount of firepower, but the FO with his radio can call in more firepower than an entire tank battalion by itself! And straightshooter...I'm not sure where you're getting your info for FOs "not doing their MOS." If anything, FOs do their job on a more regular basis than any other MOS (maybe besides 11B these days). Sure, they're not calling in an indirect fire missions with 155 rounds, but I can assure you that I've shot plenty of targets based off of their handovers. So Biscuitsjam, I would say that if you do want to do your actual MOS on a daily basis, have at it!! Be safe out there.