what does "little or no connectivity" mean? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what does "little or no connectivity" mean?

cassandra
07-27-2008, 20:59
I put this wireless USB device on my old PC downstairs and thought I needed a network key to hook up to the net (I asked about it here). I got so frustrated I didn't deal with it for a few months. Today I went to use the Photoshop on it and noticed the PC says it's connected to my network and the signal is excellent! BUT there's "little or noconnectivity."

What does that mean? I'm connected to the net, so what's unconnected? I couldn't log to the Internet on from MSN, and tried just going through Explorer and it gave me the same connectivity message.

I didn't have this kind of hassle using the wireless on my notebook, which I'm using now... anyone knows what the connectivity thing is about?

:dunno:

theleafybug
07-27-2008, 22:37
"little or no connectivity" means that you are not connected to the internet. you are communicating with your wireless router so you are "connected" but there is no information going to/from your computer/the internet. the most common cause of the "little or no connectivity" message is connecting to a secure router without entering a wep key or entering the wrong key.

i'm assuming you're on windows xp, if you're on vista the process is a little different...

right click on the little computer icon on your taskbar (next to the clock)
click "view available wireless networks"
click on your own network if more than one is listed in the window...
if you need a network key it should also say "security enabled network" under your network's name.
a box should appear with a bar going across for a few seconds, then it should prompt you for your network key. make sure you have the correct key and type it in. it should connect after a few seconds.

if you don't have your key/forgot your key/somebody else set up your network and never gave you your key, throw me a PM and i can help you out some more.

IndyGunFreak
07-28-2008, 06:33
"little or no connectivity" means that you are not connected to the internet. you are communicating with your wireless router so you are "connected" but there is no information going to/from your computer/the internet. the most common cause of the "little or no connectivity" message is connecting to a secure router without entering a wep key or entering the wrong key.

i'm assuming you're on windows xp, if you're on vista the process is a little different...

if you need a network key it should also say "security enabled network" under your network's name.
a box should appear with a bar going across for a few seconds, then it should prompt you for your network key. make sure you have the correct key and type it in. it should connect after a few seconds.

if you don't have your key/forgot your key/somebody else set up your network and never gave you your key, throw me a PM and i can help you out some more.

Exactly.. You probably don't have your wireless connection set up properly, either on the router, or on your PC.

IGF

cassandra
07-28-2008, 06:46

Ok that's what I thought the problem was originally, before I walked away from it. What's weird is it says it's connected to my [name] network, so that threw me off. I needed the key to connect my laptop wireless but I've gone through my paperwork and none of the odd scratchings seem to work. Thought I kept better track than that but I've been on a hundred support calls where I'm given new passwords etc.

I think I'll do one more trawl through the papers then PM you. Any idea how many digits the key would have or does it just depend?

IndyGunFreak
07-28-2008, 07:32
Ok that's what I thought the problem was originally, before I walked away from it. What's weird is it says it's connected to my [name] network, so that threw me off. I needed the key to connect my laptop wireless but I've gone through my paperwork and none of the odd scratchings seem to work. Thought I kept better track than that but I've been on a hundred support calls where I'm given new passwords etc.

I think I'll do one more trawl through the papers then PM you. Any idea how many digits the key would have or does it just depend?

Do you know how to log in to your router? If so just log in and set up your wireless key, should be pretty simple. If you don't know how to log in to your router, what is your Model router? If you don't have the password to log in to it(either because someone else set it up, or it was given to you or whatever), then you might have to reset the router to gain access to it and set up your wireless.

Regardless you need to make sure your wireless is set up to secure your network...
No ESSID broadcast
Good, strong, random password.
WPA if its availalble on your router(WEP would be a minimum)

IGF

RonPaul2012
07-30-2008, 10:33
I put this wireless USB device on my old PC downstairs and thought I needed a network key to hook up to the net (I asked about it here). I got so frustrated I didn't deal with it for a few months. Today I went to use the Photoshop on it and noticed the PC says it's connected to my network and the signal is excellent! BUT there's "little or noconnectivity."

What does that mean? I'm connected to the net, so what's unconnected? I couldn't log to the Internet on from MSN, and tried just going through Explorer and it gave me the same connectivity message.

I didn't have this kind of hassle using the wireless on my notebook, which I'm using now... anyone knows what the connectivity thing is about?

:dunno:

contact your broadband provider. If you connect to the router most of your problems are solved..tehy will walk you through it.otherwise unplug both, wait 15 seconds to reset then plug them back in. you need to do this sometimes or when you switch computers..anything more complicating clal them and they willl walk you thorugh for free

cassandra
08-03-2008, 09:03
contact your broadband provider. If you connect to the router most of your problems are solved..tehy will walk you through it.otherwise unplug both, wait 15 seconds to reset then plug them back in. you need to do this sometimes or when you switch computers..anything more complicating clal them and they willl walk you thorugh for free

I bought the wireless router and set it up myself, and I think there was a WEP key came with it that I didn't keep track of. Does that sound right? Broadband just gave me a DSL box without the wireless part.

Does the WEP key come with the unit? Can't find the papework for it, my bad. :crying:

Ljunatic
08-03-2008, 09:13
Get a freeware product called "wireless key view" and download and run it on any machine that has functional wireless access to your network. http://www.majorgeeks.com/WirelessKeyView_d5413.html

run the program and it will find your encryption key for you

cassandra
08-03-2008, 19:31
Get a freeware product called "wireless key view" and download and run it on any machine that has functional wireless access to your network. http://www.majorgeeks.com/WirelessKeyView_d5413.html

run the program and it will find your encryption key for you

OOHHHH fa cryin' out loud! It was my phone number...LOL. Hope I can remember it now..:rofl:

Wel, thanks a lot, dude!

Ljunatic
08-03-2008, 20:00
You're welcome. I keep a copy of that on my Flash drive and use it quite often

cassandra
08-04-2008, 06:57
You're welcome. I keep a copy of that on my Flash drive and use it quite often

Yes, we have connectivity! The lights flashed and bells went off. Now 3 PCs on my network.

Got another question...new thread..

IndyGunFreak
08-04-2008, 07:00
OOHHHH fa cryin' out loud! It was my phone number...LOL. Hope I can remember it now..:rofl:

Wel, thanks a lot, dude!

Your phone number?

:shakehead:

cassandra
08-04-2008, 15:15
Your phone number?

:shakehead:

I know...how do I change it now?