Anyone ever experience this in Winblows XP... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever experience this in Winblows XP...

DonL
07-28-2008, 12:58
In Win98 if moving/deleting/copying/cutting/pasting files while organizing(A lot of this at one time) I would experience a system slow down to the point where it would take a file a minute to open....Would need a reboot.....Not using Win98 now.

Well...with Winblows Pro XPsp2(with most all updates to Sp3) while doing the same type of organizing I get this anomaly. At some point while organizing all of a sudden if I click to open a file, it will select maybe 3 or 4 files that are near it also and open all the files. If I move those files, lets say they are on the desktop, it will make a copy of them. When I say move, I mean just slide them to a new location on the desktop. Some files I can just select that file while others that are selected will select a group. Also, all my folders will have the History bar now showing. I don't have the History bar showing in any folders. I've shutdown Explorer using the Control/Alt/Shift then Cancel(Standby/TurnOff/Reboot window) method then an Explorer restart with no luck. A reboot fixes the problem.

Anyone hear of this problem?

doktarZues
07-29-2008, 18:43
Afraid I haven't, and have no tips or links for a quick fix. I would immediately suspect and eliminate as a variable a heavily fragmented HD, also corrupt or failing HD. Large assortment of freeware utils to run hard drive diagnostics. Good luck..