View Full Version : cwp class before turning 21
does south carolina allow you to take the class before turning 21?
I would assume so, in North Carolina it is allowed as the certificate of the class does not have an expiration date. That being said, I would atleast wait until I was 20 to take the class so that you are "still up to date" when you put it in for the permit and the sheriff will have no reason to make you retake it. This is what I have done, and this way I can go to the sheriff's office on my birthday with the paperwork.
i have a private class coming up and my sister turns 21 in oct.
Completing This Application: Failure to answer all questions on this application will result in your application being rejected.
Eligibility: The applicant must:
1. be lawfully present in the United States;
2. not be a nonimmigrant alien;
3. not be prohibited by federal, state or local law from possessing firearms;
4. be a resident of South Carolina (residing permanently in SC or presently in SC with intent to become a permanent resident); a qualified non-resident who owns real property in South Carolina, but resides in another state; or military personnel in SC on permanent change of station orders;
5. be at least 21 years old;
6. have completed,within the last 3 years, a minimum 8-hour training course presented by a SLED-certified CWP instructor which must have covered the following topics: (a) statutory and case law of SC relating to handguns and use of deadly force; (b) handgun use and safety; (c) proper storage practices for handguns that reduce possibility of accidental injury to children; and (d) actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor; and
7. have a favorable background.
based on my uneducated interpretation of this - you can take the class any time after your 18th birthday, and apply for your permit once you reach 21st birthday....
your sister is good to go.
Huh, I asked my Sheriff about that earlier (before *I* was 21, natch), and he said no. And he's generally a pro-gun guy as far as I know. Eh, things could well have changed since then though.
Ghostbuster - the OP asked about SC.....
as I read the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division website an 18, 19 or 20 year old can take the class and then apply for the permit on their 21st birthday.
now my opinion doesn't mean anything..... ultimately it depends on whether or not the instructor signs off on your application and SLED processes it.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.