Linux folks - Flash development question please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linux folks - Flash development question please

Atlas
07-28-2008, 19:47
Hello folks -

I have not yet walked into the light, but the time draws near (I'm typing this on a Win XP box).
When I complete my current industrial project in a month or so I plan to spend some time becoming deeply involved in Linux for both the PC and some "embedded" programming.

I need to develop some Flash applications and I plan to purchase Flash CS3 Pro this week. My application is for an intranet, not the web.

Can anyone tell me about deploying Flash for Linux?
Anything at all would be helpful, no matter how trival or weighty, as I'm 98% ignorant of both Linux and Flash.

Thanks in advance.

IndyGunFreak
07-28-2008, 20:32
Hello folks -

I have not yet walked into the light, but the time draws near (I'm typing this on a Win XP box).
When I complete my current industrial project in a month or so I plan to spend some time becoming deeply involved in Linux for both the PC and some "embedded" programming.

I need to develop some Flash applications and I plan to purchase Flash CS3 Pro this week. My application is for an intranet, not the web.

Can anyone tell me about deploying Flash for Linux?
Anything at all would be helpful, no matter how trival or weighty, as I'm 98% ignorant of both Linux and Flash.

Thanks in advance.

Well, Flash CS3 doesn't look good.... There's only two ways you'll get it to work,

1. Wine... but I'd say thats gonna be a big miss..
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7120

You might surmise, that a rating of "Garbage" is not good.. :)

2. Basically a commercial version of Wine, but generally works much better w/ high end Apps.. which also looks like it will be a big miss..
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4072

Unfortunatley, I don't know what to tell you beyond that point..

IGF

Atlas
07-28-2008, 20:50
Indy -
Thanks, I was kinda hoping you might stop by.

If I have to work with Flash in Winxp I can live with that.
I am trying to reform, but I gotta have AutoCad as well untill a good Linux cad package comes along, so I'm stuck with a dual-boot box for the near future.

(Although, a few months ago you and HerrGlock were helping someone with Unbuntu and I thread-jacked a bit to ask about running Windows apps and HerrGlock mentioned VMware...)

Anyway, my question tonight is more about deploying Flash apps (developed in Win if necesary) for running in a distributed (intranet) Linux environment.

If I understand correctly, it doesn't matter as long as the browser has the correct Flash-player plug-in. I only posted the question to fish for any valuable tips you nice folks might toss my way.

Thanks, I really appreciate your time.

IndyGunFreak
07-29-2008, 05:00
Indy -
Thanks, I was kinda hoping you might stop by.

If I have to work with Flash in Winxp I can live with that.
I am trying to reform, but I gotta have AutoCad as well untill a good Linux cad package comes along, so I'm stuck with a dual-boot box for the near future.

(Although, a few months ago you and HerrGlock were helping someone with Unbuntu and I thread-jacked a bit to ask about running Windows apps and HerrGlock mentioned VMware...)

Anyway, my question tonight is more about deploying Flash apps (developed in Win if necesary) for running in a distributed (intranet) Linux environment.

If I understand correctly, it doesn't matter as long as the browser has the correct Flash-player plug-in. I only posted the question to fish for any valuable tips you nice folks might toss my way.

Thanks, I really appreciate your time.

I always forget about Vmware, simply because I've chosen not to use it. For me, its just to slow, even on a reasonably fast PC(my old PC, 1.8ghz, 1gig of Ram). I'm not sure how Flash CS3 would run under Vmware... Its free to try.. :) You shouldn't have any trouble getting the Flash plugin to work under Linux. The machine I recently built has 2gigs of Ram, and is running a 2.6ghz processor, maybe Vmware is worth trying again for me. I only use 1 or 2 programs that need Windows, so I've just given XP Home a small 25gig partition on my drive, and boot it when I need it.. which is about 2x a month.

As for Autocad programs, I don't use autocad, but I know there's several out there. I've saw qcad mentioned several times as being the best one in the Ubuntu repositories, but I have no experience w/ it. Below is the homepage for qcad, but it is in the Ubuntu repositories, so it will only take about 3 clicks to install as opposed to compiling from source, etc.

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

IGF

Atlas
07-29-2008, 05:16
Indy,
Thanks again for your time and for sharing your expertise.
It's very helpful and I appreciate it!

tous
07-29-2008, 10:54
You need a machine with some oomph if you plan to use VMServer or VMWorkstation.

Your basic Pentium D, 512 mB system won't be adequate.

Good news, I just built an 8gB, Intel Q6600 (Quad Core) system for under $500, but I had much of the stuff on hand. Basically I bought a motherboard, proc and memory. If you are comfortable with DIY computers, quad-core procs and memory are cheap.

Also, look into VirtualBox. It's easier for the beginner to deploy and configure virtual machines than VMServer.

Good luck, mi amigo.

Atlas
07-29-2008, 16:11
Tous,
Thank you very much for helping to enlighten the ignorant (me!).
Your input is greatly appreciated.