Can you be a certified EMT if....? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can you be a certified EMT if....?

Somethinzfishy
07-29-2008, 04:08
Hello...
Somethinzfishy here...I am new to the glock board and recently had a glock question answered really quickly that I did not understand and by very friendly guys & gals so if its possible I'll stick my head in here and ask an EMS question if thats alright ??
I'm curious because I've looked into this before but have yet to get a firm answer on a question as it relates to getting into EMS and the like ok so here goes !
If someone is interested in becoming and EMT and then if all goes well....eventually a paramedic...has anyone ever heard of any
insurmountable obstacles to this line of work is someone has a pre-existing medical condition..........lets us for example if someone is an insulin dependent diabetic with an insulin pump ????
Do you guys or gals think its doable or are there too many regulations that prevent it????
I'd really like to know as it relates to the whole diabetes theme ??
Not that I'm a diabetic whos interested in becoming an EMT...
No thats not it really...its not....I swear !

nursetim
07-29-2008, 07:54
I worked with many type I diabetics, no problem. I remember reading about a deaf paramedic years ago. In NC you can even be completely illiterate (someone reads you the material and test), though to be fair, that is just a rumor I have not bothered to substanciate (but it would not suprise me in this PC world we live in).

HarleyArcher
07-29-2008, 08:17
At least in my area you will be amazed at the number of diabetic medics! We eat like crap most of the time. As long as the "disability" the person has is under control and managed well I cannot see how it will hinder you. If you can perform you job as well as your peers then it's not big deal. Just be honest with any future employees about your disability and don't try to hide it. We have a medic where I work that is legally blind without glasses or contacts. He never disclosed that and until he came to work with his glasses on :wow: no one ever knew it. Just be honest with yourself and employer as to your ability. My 2 cents Bryan

chuckman
07-29-2008, 09:33
No, no problem. NurseTim...was that deaf medic in NC? I knew a deaf medic a few years back.

nursetim
07-29-2008, 10:28
I can't remember, but I don't think so. I want to say in the mid-west.

huskerbuttons
07-29-2008, 11:45
I have both a hearing impaired paramedic and a diabetic (has an insulin pump) paramedic working for me. They are both great medics and we have had no problems with their medical conditions. Although I have to admit we all screw with the hearing impaired guy! We all act like we are talking and just move our lips, he turns his hearing aid up and then we yell! We just put lots of candy in the diabetic guys locker...

dan1leg
07-29-2008, 21:18
I know several medics who are diabetic and do very well on a pump. I myself am a brlow knee amputee. As long as you can do the job, most places are accepting. Just make sure you take care of your back while you are in this job, seem to be the number one related on the job injury in the field.

hotpig
07-30-2008, 07:28
Two medics in my area have the pumps. They have been a lot easier to work with since getting the pumps.

glocks_n_ars713
07-31-2008, 20:38
dont see where that would be a problem.

RN911EMTP
07-31-2008, 21:01
No problems from my perspective. working in Admin I have access to these things and can say i know of employees working very contently with insulin pumps and other medical conditions. If one place says no, dont sweat it, keep looking around.

D25
08-01-2008, 11:37
In Oregon you can't do the EMS thing if you have lost consciousness in the last 6 months (or maybe a year?) due to hypoglycemia or seizures. If you can control these conditions, then there is no restriction.

caneau
08-03-2008, 04:16
Diabetes is generally not a problem. There are other medical conditions that will prevent you from being a street medic (bad back, bad knees, mental disorders, the list goes on). You can also be an EMT or Medic in a hospital, which gives you a bit more flexibility when it comes to pre-existing conditions.

nightshifter17
08-27-2008, 13:02
Before I left EMS I had known 2 or 3 medics with the insulin pumps. All but 1 did okay. The 1 that did not never took care of himself. Years ago I heard of a 1 armed EMT-INTERMEDIATE. He had sometype of device that assisted him when he had to intubate a patient. Heard he was almost 100% on intubations. Show your potential employeers that you can manage the illness and stay in good health.

tc2129
08-27-2008, 15:45
Yea pump is no problem. A few here have them.

DoogieHowser
09-03-2008, 14:21
Dood, we have a guy here that registers at 15 blood sugar and he's still conscious// but then again he's crazy... we just make sure to feed him suckers and he's ok ;)

He's been a medic for us for a year (paid) and the local volly for a couple of years.

hotpig
09-03-2008, 14:23
The guy that I worked with on Monday has a insulin pump

nursetim
09-03-2008, 16:49
Dood, we have a guy here that registers at 15 blood sugar and he's still conscious// but then again he's crazy... we just make sure to feed him suckers and he's ok ;)

He's been a medic for us for a year (paid) and the local volly for a couple of years.

Is he using a British meter, or European? If not, wow!

elonfire
09-04-2008, 15:40
the only thing here in nc that can keep you from getting your emt is certain legal problems. people with a criminal background have trouble getting there's