Ipod [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ipod

Scarecrow28
07-29-2008, 11:54
I currently own both a Ipod Shuffle (2nd gen) and a used but excellent condition 2GB Nano (2nd gen as well). I've found that I'm having difficulty squeezing all of my music (around 1.3 gb) on to the nano along with my podcasts. Besides about 1MB of photos, their is nothing else on the nano. Is their any way to compress the files or change the format so I can still listen to them but have them occupy less space.

If not, does it make sense to try to snag a 4-8GB 3rd Gen Nano on ebay? I've seen refurbs and NIB models with 60 day Apple warranties for very low prices and was wondering if it made more sense just to get one? Thanks!

IndyGunFreak
07-29-2008, 12:43
I personally don't like the new Nano's, at all. I'm actually selling mine for $115 shipped in the forums if you're interested. Its in perfect condition, the headphones haven't even been unwrapped. For me, it just doesn't have enough space. Live and learn...

If the 4gb would work for you though, no matter where you get it, I'd recommend it.

IGF

Scarecrow28
07-29-2008, 12:58
Thanks for the info and the offer, but no thanks. I've been looking around at some models that are refurbed but include a warranty w/ apple that are incredibly cheaped and repackaged on ebay. I might just get one of those. :dunno:

IndyGunFreak
07-29-2008, 15:27
Thanks for the info and the offer, but no thanks. I've been looking around at some models that are refurbed but include a warranty w/ apple that are incredibly cheaped and repackaged on ebay. I might just get one of those. :dunno:

Yah, I've bought refurbs direct from apple before, never a problem. Honestly, when I buy my new one, it will likely be a refurb.

IGF

Scarecrow28
07-29-2008, 15:37
Yah, I've bought refurbs direct from apple before, never a problem. Honestly, when I buy my new one, it will likely be a refurb.

IGF

Alright, thanks! I'm very frugal and previous usage makes no difference to me as long as it is in functioning condition.

Wulfenite
07-29-2008, 22:49
I've bought 3 refurbs direct from apple. One 4th gen 20giger for myself and 2 nanos as gifts. 0 problems. No way you could tell they weren't NIB.

Scarecrow28
07-30-2008, 08:04
I might get a new one, either a 4-8 gb nano or I might just try to find a 20GB classic. I'm a little irritated by apple right now, though. I can't tell if my 2nd gen nano is having battery issues (its around 1.5-2 years old) or if its just like this. Its fine for my purposes, but I wish it had a better battery. I was given the Ipod by a friend who just got the touch for free, so I shouldn't complain, but Apple charges around $60 for a replacement battery! I don't really think its worth it, considering I could get a brand new 4 GB Nano for around $130. The biggest rip off is it cost that much to get a shuffle replacement battery, while the shuffle itself only costs around $40 now.

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2008, 08:59
I might get a new one, either a 4-8 gb nano or I might just try to find a 20GB classic. I'm a little irritated by apple right now, though. I can't tell if my 2nd gen nano is having battery issues (its around 1.5-2 years old) or if its just like this. Its fine for my purposes, but I wish it had a better battery. I was given the Ipod by a friend who just got the touch for free, so I shouldn't complain, but Apple charges around $60 for a replacement battery! I don't really think its worth it, considering I could get a brand new 4 GB Nano for around $130. The biggest rip off is it cost that much to get a shuffle replacement battery, while the shuffle itself only costs around $40 now.

Ipod batteries are not "that" difficult to replace and aftermarket ones can be found w/ a kit for around $30. Watch the videos on how to replace the battery on a nano.

http://www.ipodjuice.com

IGF

Scarecrow28
07-30-2008, 09:04
Ipod batteries are not "that" difficult to replace and aftermarket ones can be found w/ a kit for around $30. Watch the videos on how to replace the battery on a nano.

http://www.ipodjuice.com

IGF

Thanks! I might try it :dunno:

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2008, 09:41
Thanks! I might try it :dunno:

Its a cheap try if its just the battery life that is torquing you... If its storage space, etc, I'd just get a refurb fron apple.com

IGF

Scarecrow28
07-30-2008, 09:45
Yeah, I might just get the refurb. I'm going to wait a little while and play with the nano, but will probably do it in the near future.

Furant
08-04-2008, 20:37
...I'm having difficulty squeezing all of my music (around 1.3 gb) on to the nano along with my podcasts. Besides about 1MB of photos, their is nothing else on the nano. Is their any way to compress the files or change the format so I can still listen to them but have them occupy less space.

I use MediaMonkey to manage my music and it autoconverts my songs when I synch it with my iPod. If your source MP3s are CD quality (>192 or 256 kbps), they might be taking up more space than necessary on your iPod. I've found, given the relatively poor quality of earbud headphones that I can't really tell if something is downsampled to 128 kbps, so I convert all of my music as it synchs up with my iPod (again, MediaMonkey can do this automatically). You might even be able to convert to WMV instead to save more space.

Joey

Scarecrow28
08-08-2008, 20:58
I use MediaMonkey to manage my music and it autoconverts my songs when I synch it with my iPod. If your source MP3s are CD quality (>192 or 256 kbps), they might be taking up more space than necessary on your iPod. I've found, given the relatively poor quality of earbud headphones that I can't really tell if something is downsampled to 128 kbps, so I convert all of my music as it synchs up with my iPod (again, MediaMonkey can do this automatically). You might even be able to convert to WMV instead to save more space.

Joey
Alright, thanks! I'll probably try it out!