What the hell is going on with our military in North Carolina? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is going on with our military in North Carolina?

the iceman
07-29-2008, 23:39
Muders, rapes, multilations, kidnappings, etc.

What the hell is going on with our military in North Carolina? It all seems to be happening in one state?

Has anyone else noticed this? Any theories? It's depressing, disturbing and embarrassing to the rest who serve/have served so faithfully and loyally!

Rocknropes
07-30-2008, 00:00
sorry to sound naive, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

chuckman
07-30-2008, 06:09
It is not a stellar time for the military in NC. As a state, we have a lot of pride in how we treat the military and 'our' relationship with the military...we are a very military-friendly state! Having said that, all that stuff going on is just bizarre...and for every big 'thing' that makes the national news, there is usually a couple of others that just make local news. But, take into account that with approx 120,000 military folks (excluding dependants) in eastern NC, 'we' do pretty good.

DesertGoat
07-30-2008, 12:39
I think a lot has to do with the troops that are stationed in North Carolina (Fort Bragg, and Camp Lejeune) are some of the most elite fighting forces in the service. Fort Bragg is home of the 82nd Airborne, Special Forces. Camp Lejune is home of 2nd recon. These troops have seen lots of combat, a lot of these guys come back with PTSD or other mental issues, and it is usually not diagnosed until something goes wrong. It is just a side effect of deployments, cheating spouses, and lack of help to troops that have demons.

deadday
07-30-2008, 12:52
I think a lot has to do with the troops that are stationed in North Carolina (Fort Bragg, and Camp Lejeune) are some of the most elite fighting forces in the service. Fort Bragg is home of the 82nd Airborne, Special Forces. Camp Lejune is home of 2nd recon. These troops have seen lots of combat, a lot of these guys come back with PTSD or other mental issues, and it is usually not diagnosed until something goes wrong. It is just a side effect of deployments, cheating spouses, and lack of help to troops that have demons.

Then according to your argument Ft Sam should have a pretty steady stream of rapes and murders. Every one of the guys in my unit has combat tours and injuries, most guys have 2-3 tours. We haven't have a single rape or murder that I can think of...Now suicide, overdose, etc., we've got more than our share of those...

Same thing with Ft Hood. I don't think any post has as high of a deployment tempo as Hood (with 1st Cav, 3rd ACR, 4ID, couple of MP units, etc.)...And we don't really hear of much going on up there either..

I'm not really sure why there has been such a sudden influx of troop violence in that area, though I wish it would be figured out most ricky tick....We have enough enemies outside of the service, we don't need to fight each other..

drew

GJ1981
07-30-2008, 13:52
Same thing with Ft Hood. I don't think any post has as high of a deployment tempo as Hood (with 1st Cav, 3rd ACR, 4ID, couple of MP units, etc.)...And we don't really hear of much going on up there either..

Trust me when I say this but Hood has more going on there than what hits the news. I remember the frequent barracks stabbings, beatings, drugs, rapes, etc not to mention what happened in Killeen. I remember a month or so before I went on terminal leave a soldier was beat to death outside a club one weekend but doubt it traveled far in the news.

I won't agree that Bragg is anymore susceptible to these problems than any other large post. The problem is unless you're near a post you won't hear anything unless it's fairly major.

chuckman
07-30-2008, 14:14
I don't think type of unit or base location have any bearing. Assclowns can get into any unit. There are just some bad people. I mean, killing and burning your girlfriend, then burying the remains? That's just sick.

cowboywannabe
07-30-2008, 14:22
too many criminals getting morality waivers so they can enlist.

chuckman
07-30-2008, 14:43
Agree. A few years ago, though, one of the earlier generations of malaria preventative was causing medicine-induced psychosis, and some Ft. Bragg soldiers were doing some mean and nasty things (assaults, murders, etc.).

rangerruck
07-31-2008, 01:47
Huge military there, 100k's of soldiers of all branches. A lot of ass kissing, lots of congressional idiots , aides, groupies of aides, etc., alot of touchy feel good b.s. there. Lots of liberals in this state, especially the 'golden triangle area', lots of gangbanger wannabe's , who go so they don't get into the justice system, or gangbangers' for real, who wanna learn some technique, and take it back to there homies. It is the principle that follows in it's own weird way, 'the economic law of the universe' , which states, In space, where there are the ingredients right to form matter, matter will form there.
you've got a whole metric ton of ingredients in the N.C. , to get yourself a lot of psycho, gang banging, mentally off peeps there...
I never was a fan of Bragg, because of all the in triplicate ass kissing that went on there. Much prefered the electric pineapple division. So far away, no one cared about us, and we just became hardcore all on our lonesome.

chuckman
07-31-2008, 06:28
I am not in the Army (I am Navy, though when I was enlisted spent many years with the Marines), but have spent a little time at Bragg. Like any meat-eating knuckle-dragger, I prefer the field to garrison, and certainly preferred the western side of Bragg to mainside. Although ****birds find their way to any base and any unit, some of the units at Bragg do have a way to weed them out pretty quickly.

fxdwngflyr
08-01-2008, 05:21
are the leadership at USAREC and TRADOC.

We are bringing in questionable people and they are not being turned into Soldiers. You can not expect to make a Soldier by "building on the values the people bring in". You must tear down the 18 or so years of thier civilian life and build up a proud Soldier. We are going about it wrong.

Also, hang all of the JAG Corp personnel. Thier "politial correctness" mentality has really set Commanders and 1SG's up for failure. Not everybody is meant to be in the military. Let the bad ones go. The numbers game is not one to play when you are preparing for war.

Lastly, alot of inbreeding going on. When you promote as fast as we are, and the promotions are guaranteed and automatic you set the whole Army up for failure. The new guys dont earn anything so they take it for granted.

rangerruck
08-01-2008, 09:20
So dudes are getting promoted fast as well? When I was in, an infantry personnel could expect to make sgt. in about 4 yrs. Maybe up to 5, if an avg. leg, in a avg. leg unit, or mech. If you were a bit more hardcore, and took in some schools, I hit them hard and fast between my 2nd and 3rd year in, you could make sgt in 3-3.5 yrs. I made it in 3 yrs, but like I said, I went to as many schools as I could grab up.

deadday
08-01-2008, 09:43
19D started as PFC, made SGT in 3 years. Combat Arms MOS' are promoting as fast as soldiers are ready to keep the battle rosters filled. We are suffering some pretty wicked rates of injury, forcing soldiers into retirement (like me) or into instructor positions, so the slots need to be filled. There is also the increase in seperation rate given the heavy op tempo and guys spending more and more time deployed, away from families. A lot of our NCOs joined during the cake years and quite frankly, just don't want this, they deploy a time or two, then ETS, or they'll hide out in Korea avoiding deployment.

drew

Odin's Underlin
08-11-2008, 17:21
too many criminals getting morality waivers so they can enlist.That's the problem? Tell me bright eyes, all these acts that are being committed, where they all acts of soldiers that had a criminal record before joining the Army?

Before OIF and OEF, there were soldiers and Marines and all other services that have had committed felonies. We will see a lot more of these reports in the news because there is a media bias. The bias is not the problem, cowboy, it is the felonies being committed.

60Pilot
08-22-2008, 08:38
Ahhhh Bragg. I spent 4 years there when I was enlisted before going warrant and it was the same way back then. It the soldiers that are there you have to have a few screws loose to want to jump out of a plane and be deployed on constant rotations for OIF and OEF. So those people will naturally do other risky and unlawful things as it is in there nature.

AWMP
08-22-2008, 09:28
Just remember it only takes a few to make the many thousands look bad.

KNEESINTHEBREEZ
08-23-2008, 22:39
I made it in 3 yrs, but like I said, I went to as many schools as I could grab up.
Like Ranger school, right? :upeyes:
POS Poser....

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520697

deadday
08-23-2008, 23:17
Like Ranger school, right? :upeyes:
POS Poser....

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520697

Holy ****, reading that thread made my head hurt....I realize this is the interwebz, and while I am the furthest from being gramatically perfect, PUHLEEEESE people, learn what paragraphs, periods, and sentences are :shocked:

So, I didn't get past the end of page 2, is RR a R or what?

drew (not a Ranger, not SF, not an astronaut, just a dumbass Scout)

slewfoot
08-24-2008, 00:24
I think when you hear how special you are because you are better than regular troops, you kind of get the impression you are supposed to act special.

Fayetteville was a battle ground back in the '60s, I went to basic training there, sounds like it hasn't changed much. Another thing is the troops know they are facing another deployment in a short while and decide to get their licks in now.

All said and done, my worst experience was in Mainz Germany. Two battalions of Airborne Infantry of the 509th PIR were stationed at Lee Barracks.

This was while Viet Nam was winding down, the Army was plagued with racial violence, widespread drug usage and horrible morale. The troops took it out on each other and the German civilians. It seemed like every Monday morning formation was held over for the German police to walk through the ranks with witnesses, trying to identify murderers, rapists, thieves and vandals.

If they had allowed it, most of us would have volunteered to go back to Nam, where it was relatively safe. They eventually formed a third battalion and moved those of us with the most time left to serve to Rhine Kaserne, across the river in Weisbaden. Once the new battalion was manned and equipped, they moved us to Vicenza, Italy. There was a God after all.

deadday
08-24-2008, 13:51
Holy ****, reading that thread made my head hurt....I realize this is the interwebz, and while I am the furthest from being gramatically perfect, PUHLEEEESE people, learn what paragraphs, periods, and sentences are :shocked:

drew (not a Ranger, not SF, not an astronaut, just a dumbass Scout)

:dunno:

drew

deadday
08-24-2008, 19:30
Anyone out there?

drew

KNEESINTHEBREEZ
08-26-2008, 16:05

That would be a big fat NEGATIVE. I linked only to the discussion here, however there are more just like it on ArmyParatrooper.org - where we VERIFY our members.

pisc1024
09-10-2008, 18:29
I started my military career in Camp Lejune with the 2nd Mardiv, after I got out I moved to Fayetteville and lived there for about 6 or 7 years, 2 of which I was stationed at Ft Bragg. as a soldier. I worked in law enforcement there for 4 years prior to that, and with that "little bit" of experience I can say that based on the number of military people in the state, the amount of crime the military is involved in is very small! I think that the national media blows the whole thing out of proportion! No one ever hears about the civilian who butchers their spouse, or throws his 1 year old against the wall killing him because he wants to watch the baseball game. That's just not national news. Yes that stuff happens every day. The ratio of crimes committed by the citizens of a community is much higher than that of the military men and women who may be stationed in the aria.