Hair Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hair Help

Swattie's Wife
07-30-2008, 21:11
I'm needing some help in conditioner. For some reason I'm having to use a handfull of conditioner when I shampoo my hair. I use Pantene Pro-V. I thought it might be my new medication so I saw my hairdresser. I bought what she suggested. A small tube of conditioner cost me $25.00. She said that Pantene had changed their formula and that was why I was having problems. She said I would only have to use a "dime's worth". It's more 2 quarter sized and still have a hard time combing through my hair. Does anyone know of anything that might help?

Oh, it can't have soy in it either as I am allergic to it (just about puts me in the hospital).

Thanks in advance!

Susi

MrsKitty
07-30-2008, 23:14
I used to use Pantene and *loved* it. I have also used the more expensive kinds from Paul Mitchell, Biosilk, Matrix, Rusk, and all the other common beauty shop brands.

The only way I could use any of it was to dilute it 50/50 with water. I saved my empty bottle then filled it half full of conditioner and topped it off with water and proceeded to shake the crap out of it. My hair was thick enough I couldn't get full-strength conditioner thru to my ends. It also worked better as far as how much softer my hair was compared to using it full-strength.

Since I quit coloring my hair, I haven't needed conditioner so I don't know if Pantene changed or not...but I wouldn't take her word that easily. Pantene is a very established brand.

Do you use hot oil? I would just warm some olive oil and add a few drops of essential oil to it for the smell. Whole lot cheaper than those little tubes and worked better for me.

Mrs. Tink
07-31-2008, 09:38
Hey Susi, I have two suggestions. My first isn't going to be any cheaper than your hairdresser's recommendation (what did she have you buy??), but it really worked for me. I use Bumble and bumble shampoos and conditioners, but this summer I have been outdoors a lot with my hair up, so the hair around the back of my neck was getting frizzed out and damaged. My stylist suggested Bumble and bumble's Creme de Coco Masque ($24). You use a quarter-sized dollop and work it through your hair, and then either wrap in a warm towel or sit outside. After I wrapped it, I watched a movie and then got back into the shower to rinse it off. OMG. It worked unbelievably well. On a daily basis, I use their Super Rich conditioner, which may also be too expensive for your taste, but it is wonderfully rich and works well.

My other suggestion (cheap!) is avocado. It is a little messier so you'll probably want to use a shower cap. Mash up one or two avocados, depending on how much hair you have, and work it through your hair like a conditioner. Let it sit for a while, maybe 20 minutes, and then rinse out.

MK is right--what your hair needs are lipids--either real or synthetic, to condition your hair. Hope that helps!

Swattie's Wife
07-31-2008, 13:34
I bought Aquage Silkening Conditioner. I will try both. I'll try to diluting it and see how that works. I remember using Bumble and Bumble in Colorado. I might have to look on the internet to see if I can order it that way. I remember loving Bumble too. My hair doesn't seem too thick but I do seem to have trouble working it all the way through to the ends (even tried working from ends up).

kcb
07-31-2008, 13:59
Susi,

I buy my hair care products at a beauty supply store not far from my home...Sally's.

I use the same brand of conditioner in the shower and then a spray on, leave in conditioner when I get ready to blow dry my hair.

I have baby fine hair, but a lot of it. In the shower, I comb the conditioner through my hair with a very wide tooth comb or hair pick after I work it through my hair, as I rinse my hair. That seems to help work it all the way through my hair evenly. You can leave it on longer, as Mrs. Tink suggested, once in a while for a deep conditioning, too. I love to do that once a month or twice.

I towel dry my hair, then spray in the leave in conditioner and any other styling products, or volumizers, I want to use in my hair at that time. It leaves my hair very smooth and silky. It keeps my hair tangle free all the time as well.

Good luck!

BikerGoddess
07-31-2008, 14:04
I really like the conditioner that comes with home coloring kits, even when my hair isn't colored. You can now buy the conditioner separately, at least at Sally Beauty Supply. I do the once weekly deep conditioning, plus put a *small* amount on after each shampoo, which I don't rinse out.

Chlorine in water will make your hair very dry and brittle. We have a filter inline on the shower and it has helped tremendously to cut down the amount of conditioner I need.

I've also heard negative things about Pantene, but I have no idea if they're true. I use Aveda, Ojon, or Bath & Body Works, but honestly, Suave works just as well. The water makes the biggest difference.

Swattie's Wife
07-31-2008, 22:00
I really like the conditioner that comes with home coloring kits, even when my hair isn't colored. You can now buy the conditioner separately, at least at Sally Beauty Supply. I do the once weekly deep conditioning, plus put a *small* amount on after each shampoo, which I don't rinse out.

Chlorine in water will make your hair very dry and brittle. We have a filter inline on the shower and it has helped tremendously to cut down the amount of conditioner I need.

I've also heard negative things about Pantene, but I have no idea if they're true. I use Aveda, Ojon, or Bath & Body Works, but honestly, Suave works just as well. The water makes the biggest difference.

We've have been looking for filter for the shower. We just not sure where to get one. We have looked at Wal-Mart but they didn't have any. I won't use Suave and won't let my daughter. The last time my daughter used Suave it took me about 3 weeks to get it back to normal.
I'm thinking it could also be the medication that I'm on now. I didn't have this problem before I started it.

Shondratasha
08-05-2008, 22:06
Medication can effect your hair so you may be on the right track there.

Has your city or county changed the water lately? That's the first thing that I thought about when I read the post.

Did you check Home Depot or Lowes for the filter?

Swattie's Wife
08-07-2008, 21:07
Medication can effect your hair so you may be on the right track there.

Has your city or county changed the water lately? That's the first thing that I thought about when I read the post.

Did you check Home Depot or Lowes for the filter?

I had to quit taking my medication because I was really sick. A few days later I realized I didn't have the problems I had before. I think I'll "deal" with the pain that my Fibro causes. At least with pain I know it will go away but not knowing if I'm going to throw up halfway through a movie or shopping isn't a symptom I want.
We have to go to Home Depot tomorrow so I will check and see if they have a shower filter.

MrsKitty
08-07-2008, 21:32
What med was you on?

The list of things I can't take is longer than the things I can. A lot of meds make me sick like that. Others do things like break me out and make my tongue swell up. :shocked:

I noticed that some of blood pressure meds I have tried to prevent migraines has really dried my skin out.

Swattie's Wife
08-08-2008, 20:58
What med was you on?

The list of things I can't take is longer than the things I can. A lot of meds make me sick like that. Others do things like break me out and make my tongue swell up. :shocked:

I noticed that some of blood pressure meds I have tried to prevent migraines has really dried my skin out.

My Rheumatoid Arthritis doctor gave my Plaquenil and Cymbalta. Said they are both treating Fibro. Plaquenil is an Anti-Malaria drug and Cymbalta is an anti-depression. It just wasn't worth taking. I read in our Natural Cure's book tonite that Noni Juice is an herbal remedy for Fibro, headaches and other things. It taste NASTY but I'm willing to try it again for my Fibro.

MrsKitty
08-09-2008, 10:37
I don't know anything about either of those. I am on Prozac and in the past I have taken multiple antidepressants, but I didn't notice any of them drying my hair out. The first time I took Elavil I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I had chronic nerve pain in my shoulder that nothing was touching. The ortho I saw gave it to me and within 20 minutes of taking the first dose I could tell a huge difference!

I had a battle with a neurologist this spring over Keppra. I am no longer taking it nor seeing him. :)

A lot of doctors blow complaints like that off. They forget that people have different side effects :(

Mrs. VR
08-10-2008, 17:07
sometimes it's the illness itself, rather than the medication that causes an issue. My hair (in case you haven't already heard this a million times :tease: ) has been shedding faster than it's supposed to because my body is reacting to an inflammatory process in my body. It pulls right out and wont stop until they figure out and treat the underlying issue. :yuck:

Before it got so thin, I was really excited about being able to buy the same conditioner they use in the coloring kits, by itself. It's VERY VERY good stuff.

MB-G26
08-13-2008, 04:06
Well, compare and constrast as applicable, and I'll tell you what is working well for me currently.

1. I have a lot of gray hair
2. Rest of hair is med auburn
3. Hair is medium 'thick' in terms of total volume, and to mid-back.
4. Water here is hard enough to pound nails with. Getting shampoo OUT of hair is a #&%%&#*@!

I use one of the Pantene shampoos for colored hair, but I only use actual shampoo about once a week - unless I'm totally dirt-encrusted from head to toe from combo of yard work and sweat. When I don't "shampoo" with actual "shampoo", I "shampoo" with cheapy conditioner, just to get the hair freed up and to get rid of what's clinging to it.

My Procedure:
A. get hair as wet and soaked as possible w/lovely, yucky hard water.
B. Douse it good with cheapo conditioner, just to act as a 'freeing agent'. It usually foams up as tho I've got shampoo IN it - probably residual.
C. Work the cheapo stuff in until it screams for it's life.
D. Rinse well.
E. Use a really wide-toothed pic to ensure even distribution and to help handle any knots that weren't brushed out before I got in to the shower.
F. IF I'm going to use actual shampoo this time, saturate hair with the cheapy conditioner AGAIN, and then use minimal amount of shampoo/soap.
G. Squeeze and massage and work it it for all its worth, the cheapy conditioner and small amount of shampoo combo.
H. Rinse well. Try to use the pick during the rinsing.

I. Once it's as rinsed out as I can get it, I use either the actual OEM Paul Mitchell "The Detangler" or the "generic equivalent brand" (which seems to have disappeared from Sally's shelves lately.

J. Let either the PM OEM Detangler or the generic equiv. fully saturate into my hair, and pile it on the top of my head under an aligator type clip.

K. Go on about rest of shower: shaving, scrubbing, face treatment, etc.

L. Rinse off ME, then rinse out the Detangler........... AMAZING how soft and 'deburred' my hair feels, especially at the ends!

M. Stick my head outside the shower curtain and give my hair a quick, cursery dry off - then apply the 'killer conditioner'. Currently I am using Sunsilk's "Hairapy multi-symptom masque, Hydra TLC, pamper & repair, which contains "nutri-Keratin". I probably use 1/8 cup or so measuring by estimated volume...... starting at the ends first, then the back of the neck all the way around the outward hairline, across front of hairline, and around to the starting point, and then up the length of the hair to the scalp. Massage in like crazy, adding more where ever I still feel the 'corse' feeling hair.

N. Let that sit, pilled up in a plastic clip while I finish with other shower duties, then rinse it fairly well (but not a Nazi rinsing, if you know what I mean).

O. Wrap head and hair up in towel for initial blotting, then trade the towel for one of those 'microfiber hair wrap' things that are shaped like an large, long, odd triangle with a little velcro tab to secure it.

P. When it's time for a comb out - I first use Neutrogena "Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-In Cream with UV shield", first taking care of the ends and the rough spots. Comb through until combing can be done w/a regular toothed comb w/snags.

Q. Then apply the leave-in product, "Redken Extreme Anti-Snap" (which is also available in some places under the 'Generic Value Product' lable as "compare to Redken Extreme Anti-Snap".

"P" does wonders for unruly, dry, damaged, etc., ends as well as any other unruly section of hair. "Q" is a damn miracle in a bottle imo, and it REALLY cuts down on snarling, tangling, and breakage, whether hair is wet, damp, or completely dry.

I've not been able to find that Sunsilk product on the shelves anymore, but I did score a CASE of it on amazon.com.

I am on Cymbalta (supposed for the fibro pain) and have hyPOthyroid - which partially accounts for the condition of my hair. I'm also on prednisone for moderately controlled inflammatory colitis. In times of highest stress, however,my hair falls out from the root....... the full length of the hair. After my mom died in 11/2004, about 1 full third of my hair simply fell out.....over and over and over.......same thing happened years ago when I was on depo-provera 3-mons inj. for birth control.

Zonny
08-13-2008, 11:41
Geez Mel...Is everything in your life as complicated as a shower/hair wash?

You've exhausted me!!! :rofl:

Mine is 5 minutes....start to finish. 1 product. That's why I'm a short hair kinda girl :wavey:

MB-G26
08-16-2008, 05:31
Yarks, Zonny!

Nag, nag, nag!
:tongueout::tongueout: :hugs:

chec
08-17-2008, 02:44
Tresemme' deep quench conditioning treatment.

cause sometimes it's not what you do in the shower, it's what you do after. :whistling:

Just one guy's perspective!

or.. DOVE Advanced Care Therapy Conditioner

Swattie's Wife
08-17-2008, 16:48
I am on Cymbalta (supposed for the fibro pain) and have hyPOthyroid - which partially accounts for the condition of my hair..

I was on Cymbalta for the fibro also but was throwing up 3-4 times a day (with or without food). When I looked it up I read it was used to "help" deal with the pain Fibro causes. :steamed: I have to see my doc next week so I am gonna tell him I stopped taking that and the Plaquenil (that made me throw up too). I'll keep the Ambien though...I love the fact that I can sleep at night now. :supergrin:

MrsKitty
08-17-2008, 17:54
I was on Cymbalta for the fibro also but was throwing up 3-4 times a day (with or without food). When I looked it up I read it was used to "help" deal with the pain Fibro causes. :steamed: I have to see my doc next week so I am gonna tell him I stopped taking that and the Plaquenil (that made me throw up too). I'll keep the Ambien though...I love the fact that I can sleep at night now. :supergrin:

Oh man. I cannot count the meds that made me throw up like that!

When I was a little kid, there was one my mom even hid in food because she thought I might be faking. I wasn't.

I have had doctors argue me that I should continue taking meds that do that to me!?!?! WTF?!

Tx-G30
08-19-2008, 12:11
i use Clairol conditioner, vanilla flower scented. i'm not sure why, but it does smell nice

MB-G26
08-23-2008, 03:04
I have to see my doc next week so I am gonna tell him I stopped taking that and the Plaquenil (that made me throw up too).

Plaquinel was one of the 'conservative protocol' meds they had my mother taking years ago. It made her hallucinate, and I believe she may have even broken out in a rash! (Mom had SLE, RA, FMS/CFS, Sjogrens, OA, etc.)