High School to Flight School Anyone??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High School to Flight School Anyone???

CPT_CRUNCH
08-01-2008, 14:16
Trying to talk my brother into joining OUR ARMY instead of the a different service. He's into aviation and avionics so the Airforce is a good option BUT I feel he'd enjoy my ARMY better and would make a great Warrant Officer as a pilot.

Does anyone know more info on the high school to flight school program?

eisman
08-02-2008, 17:35
Get into UAV's ASAP. It's a growing field with that they're throwing money at.

AF-Odin
08-02-2008, 18:55
UAVs are definitely a growing area, but the Army (unlike the AF) does not use pilots for their UAVs, they use E-4s and E-5s---WAY lower pay scale and training. For the AF UAV guys, they use pilots who have flown an operational aircraft and then assign to UAVs.

eisman
08-04-2008, 20:36
Right, so he could actually get in now. Plus it's a major career field that's just starting. And the AF is going to be forced to follow, because Congress is already asking why they should pay so much for something any 18 year old kid can do. (UAV's are going to be one of the major reasons the USAF will cease to exist as a seperate service in the future.)

CPT_CRUNCH
08-06-2008, 11:50
UAVs are cool and all. but he wants to flight helos. i've been doing some research on my own since i posted this thread. he's basically competing for a warrant officer slot. if selected he goes to basic, then warrant school, then directly to flight school. i'm taking him to see a recruiter next week. apparently some recruiters try and dissuade recruits from this program and try and get them to enlist 15 series. recruiters dont get the credit for putting someone in the direct warrant program.

on a different note... AF-ODIN, were you ever stationed at Barksdale AFB? i knew an odin that was the services sq/cc i think.

AF-Odin
08-09-2008, 16:55
Only LIVED at Barksdale as a dependent in the early 60s. Through all my years of AD, went there a few times on TDY to 8AF HQ and once to preside at a retirement ceremony for a guy that had been a student of mine and then worked for me later in his career.

93GT
08-09-2008, 20:01
It's easier to get a flight contract in the Navy or Marine Corps than the Air Force I do believe. Of course you are going to need a 4 year degree unless you become an Army WO. If he wants helos I think you are on the right track telling him to join the Army. The easiest avenue otherwise is NROTC or college then OCS and put in a flight package.

60Pilot
08-22-2008, 08:34
I'm a 153D (UH-60 pilot Warrant) Not high school to flight school I was enlisted first. In aviation units the high school to flight school warrants don't get a lot of respect compared to the warrants that did time as enlisted before. Your just like a LT. you have to be trained in the only the aviation pilot stuff, but also general Army stuff that all the prior enlisted warrants already have down so they progress faster and fly a lot more.

But if you have any question about WOCS of Flight School let me know. Although I know its changed a lot since I went through.

CPT_CRUNCH
08-27-2008, 14:24
60Pilot thanks for the info. And yes being a butter bar sucked (but it sure was fun!!!)

Chaz375
08-31-2008, 22:34
CPT Crunch,
I am an AH-64 pilot, and although I was prior service prior to WOC school, I work with several "high school to flight school" warrants. I would tend to disagree a bit with 60Pilot's assessment of the lack of respect for them - as in anything else it is completely up to them to make a name for themselves in their unit. As far as the details for how it works, you pretty much have the information correct. The recruiter will try to get him to enlist as a crewchief or something of the sort since the recruiter "has no slots," or some other excuse of the sort. He'll have to get a Class 1 flight physical, go to a board in the local area to speak with some officers, and then submit his packet through the proper channels. It is a bit more legwork than it is for an active duty soldier, but the payoff is huge! In less than a year he'll get accepted, go through WOC, and will be flying! If I would have known about it when I initially enlisted, I would have done it in a heartbeat! If you have any specific questions about the process, please PM me and I'll try to do my best to get you some more info. Also, whatever you do...don't let him fly a damn UAV!! What picks up more chicks at a bar..."hey, I fly a remote controlled airplaine," or "hey, I fly the world's baddest attack helicopter!"

CPT_CRUNCH
09-02-2008, 14:45
Chaz, thanks for the info. He's pretty much squared away now. He's got an appointment at MEPS next month and has already done his DA photo. Biggest thing for him now is getting his APFT score higher, gotta run more and decrease the 2 mile time.
I squared him away w/ a recruiter here at Huachuca that came highly recommended from my 1ST. We had no problems.
And NEVER would he consider "flying" UAVs!!! Thanks for your inputs.

CPT_CRUNCH
11-22-2008, 04:09
WTF???we often joke that we'll end up in the same unit one day... only time will tell.

eisman
11-22-2008, 07:13
Congratulations!

CPT_CRUNCH
01-06-2009, 23:15
Update:
so my brother (in-law, but he's TRULY A BROTHER) did apply to this program. he bust his ass be competitive losing 55 pounds to make weight. he met the board today in phoenix and was highly recommended. now his packet goes to fort rucker where they'll make the finally decision (approval). he'll find out by 1 feb.

thanks for the advice 60pilot and chaz, i did pass it all along. although he was sold right after i told him he could fly!

Chaz375
01-07-2009, 16:12
CPT Crunch,
Great news for your brother-in-law! Please keep us updated on his status, and if he has any particular questions, please feel free to PM me. Wish him the best of luck - he'll do fine!

CPT_CRUNCH
01-29-2009, 14:30
bro-in-law was NOT approved for the program:frown:.

they automatically resubmit the next month. so he'll find out if he made it this time right around valentines day.

good thing is he's all prepped to come in enlisted if they say no again. i'm encouraging him to enlist 15 series so he can submit a stronger flight packet later. but he's looking to go signal right now (big bonuses). he always fixes my computer so it should work for him.

Ash Williams
02-09-2009, 19:17
bro-in-law was NOT approved for the program:frown:.

they automatically resubmit the next month. so he'll find out if he made it this time right around valentines day.

good thing is he's all prepped to come in enlisted if they say no again. i'm encouraging him to enlist 15 series so he can submit a stronger flight packet later. but he's looking to go signal right now (big bonuses). he always fixes my computer so it should work for him.

Keep us updated! Tell him I appreciate his service!

CPT_CRUNCH
02-10-2009, 09:57
well folks, brother did not get selected for the WOFT program (again). but he is still joining the Army. he is actually at MEPs now and should take his enlistment oath within the hour. MOS he got was 15T (Blackhawk Repairer) so he'll still be around helo's and is still determined to FLY! guess he just needs to get SOLDIERIZED first.

he ships for basic in a month. i was really hoping to be at his graduation but i'll be reporting to Lewis days before he starts and have already been instructed that i dont need to find a house b/c i'm heading back to the box upon arrival.

thanks again for all the advice and assistance.