Looking at the IT field in NC- entry level ideas- [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the IT field in NC- entry level ideas-

filthy infidel
08-02-2008, 14:24
So I found myself in the job market this past week. I've been a mechanic working on high-end cars since '98. I'm thinking of selling all of my tools and going with an IT trainer/job placement school. I've filled out one application on an online job search, but I'd appreciate any advise.

Thanks again,
FI.

Green_Manelishi
08-03-2008, 21:02
So I found myself in the job market this past week. I've been a mechanic working on high-end cars since '98. I'm thinking of selling all of my tools and going with an IT trainer/job placement school. I've filled out one application on an online job search, but I'd appreciate any advise.

Thanks again,
FI.

Ask persons who know you, and know IT, whether or not they believe you have "the stuff" to do that type of work.

It's not rocket surgery but it does require a certain mindset and talent. If you have the mindset and raw talent you can learn the necessary skills, if you don't you won't. You also need to determine if you will pursue hardware or software related IT knowledge such as setup/repair, networking, applications, systems, etc. Each of those requires certain talent and knowledge. You might be reallllly good at one "thing" and not so at another.

Bon chance.

NetNinja
08-04-2008, 20:17
I have been trying to get a friend into IT for the past 10 years and he has been doing the same thing working on cars.

I have about maybe 15 years in IT 10 years professionally.

Be careful about some of those supposedly IT training schools, they love to take your money and have you fill out the student loans.

Don't sell your tools, you will kick yourself for doing it and I don't want to hear stories about I used to own an awesome set of tools. The same story about "Oh I used to have such nice guns but I was dumb and sold them all."
Don't be one of those people.

Since you will be starting out you will be doing software installs, maybe even cannibalizing parts from 1 machine to the next to get it running.
Don't do telephone support, that really sucks. You seem like a hands on person so desktop support for a company is good.

Most of the support jobs are pretty low paying. I don't know what they pay in NC but when I got out of the Marine Corps I wanted to leave NC quickly. Great state but I just didn't see the job market paying big money.
I know the cost of living is low but I wanted to earn a living not live to earn.

www.computerjobs.com will give you a good idea what the market will pay and even Craigslist, most employers I have seen advertise in Craigslist are low paying SOB's anyway.

Watch out for that weekend and traveling B.S. support. If they say 10% of traveling that means 90%. Night shift work is only good if you are going to be busy. If you are there just to answer phones then it's not good use of your talents or time.

If you find yourself in a job where the company doesn't like to maintain their network or buy the required equipment and software to support your job. LEAVE!
Keep your skills current and if their equipment is not current they are not doing you any favors.
It's IT not fast food.

Look for a company that is mid size. Small companies are great if they are up and coming and been in business for 5 years. They have gone over the 90% failure mark and they may be even profitable.

Contract jobs are OK but you will always have to be looking for the next gig and you don't want your crank hanging out in the wind if your current contract is up and there are no other contracts to be had. You may go back to working on cars again and then find yourself 2 years doing something temporary and find out your IT skills have grown stale and nobody will hire you.

When you go into an interview you are also interviewing the company. Look at their equipment, ask questions pertaining to what you will be supporting.
Don't be afraid to walk out if they are wasting your time. I kid you not.
I walked out of an interview and walked away from a senior network admin position. Can you believe they called me back 3 days latter asking me to come back? People love to waste time.

Some Technical recruiters are sometimes a waste of time. They are sales people first. Their jobs are to get people to sit in front of them and ask candidates questions and fill out paper work. They have quotas to meet.
Don't let them waste your time. Your time is just as important as theirs.
They either have a job or they don't.

This is all my experience, Not B.S. I am sure after I post this you will have all the exerts come out of the wood work. There are about 3 people who post regularly in this forum who really know their stuff. I kow tow to them. They have some mad skills!

You wanted advice I am giving it, (people love to give advice ; ) )

Now I am going to toot my own horn.

It took me about 1 year to get my current job. I was still working for a company with outdated equipment and software and I was the Dutch boy with no more fingers to put in the dyke.
Recruiters/head hunters wasting my time. People who saw my resume on computer jobs.com and wanted to know if I would work for less.

The special instructions were " Recruiters/head hunters don't waste my time by calling me with low ball offers. My skills are better than most paper certified flower arrangers. I don't work for free. Donít call me if the next person I speak to is not the hiring manager.

You know what? I got a call from some head hunter they gave me the same song and dance and my next question was. What is the name and number of the hiring manager.
They gave it to me I met them, they liked me and my skills. I was hired.

I am now the Senior Network Admin for a small company who have been in business for more than 8 years.
I manage a network of 35 Windows/Linux servers at a Co-Lo + 15 more servers at the company. 50 employees running the latest Dell desktops and laptops. Cisco ASA devices. Cisco routers. VPN's, Site to sites, Point to points.
PLUS! all the latest and greatest software you could think of. Lot's of things to learn and my skills grow every week.
I also have a desktop support person who takes care of the end users and keeps them from bugging me while I work on the larger issues. He is my right hand man and at the same time I am training him on all the things I am learning. I am going to hate to loose him.

In Oct I am going to take my CCNP certification which is a stepping stone to getting my CCIE. (google it) Learn to use it, it will make your job easier.

This is my story about getting into IT, the ups and downs the disappointments, the false promises. There are no embellishments here. Everything I have written I did and experience (haven't sold my tools nor my guns) The 2 things that you should get from this is. Don't let people waste your time and keep your skills current.

I love IT. Yeah you run into people who really should not be touching computers and even people who were once in the IT field and decided not to pursue it. If you have a great attitude and a strong work ethic you will go far.

If you want to talk PM me we can talk on the phone.

filthy infidel
08-05-2008, 20:38
Netninja- THANK YOU.

I got the call (during an interview with New Horizons IT training) from the head of HR from my region at carmax. Seems my termination is deemed valid.

I am ready to pull the trigger on their training. ECPI wants 29K for an associate's degree and 45K for a Bachelor's.

From what I have gathered, Microsoft certifications are the way to go.

The downside of New Horizons is that their training is from six to ten pm. Great for people with a day job, but I'm ready to go NOW. BUT, I can earn as I grow in the field. Taking a pay cut during this process is ok with me, because if I was doing full time education I would be earning nothing during the course (nineteen to thirty two months).

I'm moving my tools out this week. Planning to sell some of the industry specific diagnostic stuff, and probably my big toolbox if the price is right. I just don't see myself moving my tools into another crackerbox.

I invite a PM from you initiating a conversation regarding your experience with salary per degree. I'm pleased with what NH told me. My wife works for Mckesson and was the one who brought up the whole IT thing to me.

Thanks again for your input.

NetNinja
08-08-2008, 17:02
You don't need to be an MCSE to start in the IT field.

The smart thing would be to get your Comp TIA and then get into a company who will hopefully pay or help subsidize your training.

If you get into a medium size company that may help you out.

Start small, dont bite off on the MCSE certs right away.

I don't have 1 cert but a lot of experience.

A great attitude and the willingness to learn will go a long way.