upgrade question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : upgrade question

don51181
08-02-2008, 14:56
I am looking for a motherboard/cpu set to upgrade to. Something with some good capability but not breaking the bank. Any suggestions? Nothing more than $500. Also I have a graphics card so I would not need on on the motherboard. I am not to familiar with motherboards. Thanks.

Sgt. Schultz
08-02-2008, 16:24
Okay, assuming that the new MB will fit into your current case, besides the MB & CPU you will also need new RAM and probably new power supply as well … for $500 or less, you can get a new system.

don51181
08-02-2008, 17:23
I plan on getting a new case also. The reson I want to do it piece by piece is because I can't afford a really fast desktop so I just want to upgrade it when I can.

Sgt. Schultz
08-02-2008, 17:52
I can't afford a really fast desktop so I just want to upgrade it when I can.First place I looked ...

Compaq Presario SR5413WM
2.7 GHz AMD Athlon LE processor 1640
2GB of DDR2 system memory
250 GB hard drive, 7200 rpm
DVD+/-RW drive with double-layer capability
10/100 Base-T network interface and 56K modem
Windows Vista Home Premium

at WalMart for $398. that's a whole system for less then your budget, you could use the leftover $100 to max out the RAM

I haven’t built a system in over a year and I built a very high end system, so it wasn’t cheap. Your budget of $500 pretty much ties your hands when it comes to building a high-end/fast system, unless you are a power user it’s cheaper to buy a new system

don51181
08-07-2008, 07:44
Thanks for the advice. One thing I want. to look into with that pc is how much I can upgrade it. Like ram capacity.

Sgt. Schultz
08-07-2008, 07:52
One thing I want. to look into with that pc is how much I can upgrade it. Like ram capacity. If you are talking about your current system follow this link ...

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

... and let it scan your system, it will tell you all you need to know about it.

IndyGunFreak
08-07-2008, 09:43
I plan on getting a new case also. The reson I want to do it piece by piece is because I can't afford a really fast desktop so I just want to upgrade it when I can.

The problem would be, finding stuff you could use from your current system, that would also be compatible w/ new stuff you want to buy in the future. Thats gonna be very tough...

Looking at the PC that Sgt. Shultz suggested...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9919553#Specifications

It was a bit difficult to tell how much Ram it could actually take, but it looks like it should take 4gigs...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01423731&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

It also has a PCI Express slot, so you can upgrade the graphics on it when you get the $$(I'm guessing right now, its using crappy onboard graphics...)

So if You are happy w/ your current monitor, I think thats a pretty good deal.

IGF

jeanjvr
08-07-2008, 10:19
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L - 60 (excelent value board - I use it)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 - 120

2 x Transcend 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - 78 (excelent value ram - I use it - 4GB)

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - 60

=318

Do you have a PCI express graphics card?

IndyGunFreak
08-07-2008, 11:37
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L - 60 (excelent value board - I use it)

Do you have a PCI express graphics card?

I always recommend building, but from his other posts I don't think he's really sold on that idea, I think he just wants to make sure his PC is upgradeable.

I don't think he has a PCIE card, according to his other thread, thats the reason for the upgrade, he only has an old AGP card right now. He's gonna have to get another case also, since its really unlikely that stuff is gonna fit in his Dell case, so thats another $50-60 unless you go real cheap. You also forgot the fact he's gonna need an OS most likely. There's another $100 or so if you get the OEM versions of Vista or XP.

If you're gonna build "as budget allows".. Then you have to start w/ the things, that aren't going to matter what motherboard, etc, you end up with. Technology evolves so fast, if this is something he has to save for over a couple of months... Buying Ram would be crazy, because you don't really know what motherboards/processor situation is gonna look like in 2-3mo.

Hard Drive and Optical Drive -- He has both of these, but assuming they are IDE drives, who's to say IDE is still gonna be a largely accepted format by the time he rolls around to getting the motherboard, as you're already starting to see motherboards that do not have IDE ports.... Something to consider. Might be wise since you're in the process, to get SATA drives. Your optical drive is almost definitely IDE, so you might be able to get away w/ just buying a new SATA Optical drive.

Case (Assuming you get a case that will take a Full size board, it should take smaller ones also)

Its also a pretty safe bet, that PCI x16 will probably still be around. So as long as your intent is to get a motherboard w/ a PCI x16 slot, you could get this also.
Some form of Vista OEM would also be a safe bet in this category.

Once thats done, Select a motherboard/CPU combo.....
Once that is done, you know what type of RAM and PS you'll need.

You're probably looking 4-500 minimum. Now personally, thats what I would do, because I hate OEM PC's, and a $4-500 PC you build, will be far better than a store bought at the same price. If he's not dedicated to this being a "process" since budget is a concern, then I think Sgt. Shultz is on the right track.. (as usual.. :))

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
08-07-2008, 12:36
Looking at the PC that Sgt. Shultz suggested...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9919553#Specifications

It was a bit difficult to tell how much Ram it could actually take, but it looks like it should take 4gigs... IGF take another look, it lists a total of 2 GB installed, 4 GB max with no available slots. :wavey:

jeanjvr
08-07-2008, 12:41
IndyGunFreak, if he's got a computer that works at the moment why would he want to buy the new components "piece by piece"? Rather save up the cash and get a better computer later as component prices are alway decreasing...unless he can use the components in his current pc and take them out later.

Ah, PC building - new hardware smell ;)

Sgt. Schultz
08-07-2008, 13:00
IndyGunFreak, if he's got a computer that works at the moment why would he want to buy the new components "piece by piece"? Rather save up the cash and get a better computer later as component prices are alway decreasing...unless he can use the components in his current pc and take them out later.That's what we've been trying to find out from the OP, he's the one that wants to buy one piece at a time.

IndyGunFreak
08-07-2008, 13:03
IGF take another look, it lists a total of 2 GB installed, 4 GB max with no available slots.

Wait, nevermind.. what i said makes no sense... I don't know how I looked at that wrong...
So it obviously has 2 1gig DIMMS... To upgrade to 4gigs, You'd have to go to 2, 2gig DIMMS.

IGF

don51181
08-07-2008, 15:52
My main thing is that I want a good to get another motherboard and cpu. The idea of buying a new desktop and upgrading it over time does not sound to bad. The main problem I would have with building a new PC is figuring out a good motherboard/cpu that wont break the bank.

don51181
08-07-2008, 15:55
I wil post my specks when I get home tonight. Thanks for the help.