old monitor color messed up - can it be fixed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : old monitor color messed up - can it be fixed?

cassandra
08-04-2008, 07:00
NOW that I've got my old PC downstairs on the network, thanks to you all, there is just the problem of the monitor. It's a 2000 Sony 17-in, and I think when I moved it downstairs it sat next to a big PA speaker magnet for quite a while because the color is all messed up. it's all blue-green with no real red. I've tried adjusting from control panel and from the monitor control itself but I can't get it to balance out.

Can this be fixed? Do they still "degauze" color CRTs the way they used to do with old color TVs? I remember we had to be careful not to vacuum too close to the old color Packard Bell or the colors would go whack like that.

Blitzer
08-04-2008, 07:09
One can only try to degauss the screen to see, no hard line answer as it should work.

RyansFortyFives
08-04-2008, 07:16
Check and make sure you didn't bend one of the pins on the plug. That can mess with your color too...

Washington,D.C.
08-04-2008, 08:41
The Sony monitors from that time have very fine wires across the screen. This improved the display but the wires break fairly easily. If that's not the problem it might be fixable. Check the fit of the video card inside the PC too. Check the connections.

havensal
08-04-2008, 12:40
Magnet+CRT=Bad things :shocked:

May be able to degauss it, but I doubt it. :dunno:

theleafybug
08-05-2008, 21:42
is it blue-green all over? if its completely blue-green its probably a loose/bad pin in the vga cable. wiggle it and see if the color returns to normal. as to the question of degaussing - yup, crt monitors can be degaussed just like tv's

Orkinman
08-06-2008, 11:33
I agree with those above me, if it's all blue green the it's a loose connection or a bent pin. Usually a magnet will leave you with a round shaped color distortion. Also , and I know this is no help really, but I do remember seeing something that can fix really bad magnet problems in a monitor. I saw it in a demonstration video somewhere on the net. If I can find it, I'll post it.