ok, here goes......... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ok, here goes.........

jdsumner
08-05-2008, 16:39
can I hang out with you guys?:wavey: (was that too ghey?)

Seriously, I havent posted much in this area, but I love reading the stuff you guys post. Some the sleds and contraptions welded up in the garages are killer. Wish I had the know how. From what I have read, I dont have much hopes of contributing any knowledge, but I can learn quite a bit from the posters here.

My background in s/c is high school ftbll and wrestling. Played 2 yrs at a small college in KY. Couple yrs of comp power after that. Kinda wandered aimlessly in the iron game after that, till a coupla yrs ago. In Jan '07, I had a discectomy/laminectomy(sp?) at l4/l5. Gained a bunch of weight and felt terrible. Buddy of mine runs a fitness/bb/nutrition/training (hair care tire and auto center) business. Hired him to help me get it all together. With his help, lost about 30lbs, leaned out nicely, gained some strength and felt better than I had in yrs. Not in that kinda shape now, but still trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Anyways, really have enjoyed what I've read here and learned a lot so far. So if its cool with you 'real deals', I'll hang out quietly by the smith machine, maybe hit some curls on the power rack. 'anybody see my gloves?

Dan

California Jack
08-05-2008, 18:36
Yes, please, hang here. Post frequently. Welcome aboard. As a warning, don't repeat anything in this forum again about gheyness or you'll end up in someones sig line.

Was it Center College you played for?

Jack

jdsumner
08-05-2008, 18:50
No, sir.
It was Cumberland College. Now its the University of the Cumberlands or sumthin like that. Located in Williamsburg.

"don't repeat anything in this forum again about gheyness or you'll end up in someones sig line."-California Jack
10-4, dont wanna be anyone's 'sig line'. Seen some around here about 'oilin' mens bods'. Dont want any part of that, thanks.

.....and thanks for the welcome. Hope to be a useful part of the forum.

Dan

California Jack
08-05-2008, 18:54
Seen some around here about 'oilin' mens bods'. Dont want any part of that, thanks.
:rofl: I'm innocent, I swear.

DBradD
08-05-2008, 18:59
Welcome dude!!

jdsumner
08-05-2008, 19:13
Just so we get it out in the open, and get it over with, lemme say I have a home gym. :upeyes: Not just that, but its one of those "% of your bodyweight at various inclinations" home gyms.:crying: So, go on, lets all get it out of our systems. :rofl: Done? Good.:supergrin:

Purchased it for the summer months when the kids are out of school. Wife works afternoon into evening hours and my work takes me well into the evening during lighting season down here. When schools out, the wife will stay up till all hrs working (works from home). Means I dont get much sleep. At least not enough to get up at 0430 to go to the gym. so, for 3 mo's or so, I sleep late as I can , work late as I'm forced, then get home and hit this machine and treadmill. Soon as ya'll quit giggling enough to read and critique my routines, I'd love to post them for your review and helpful advise.

Thanks again, for the welcomes. I realize my type of training is not what you guys focus on, but it always helps me to get ideas from people doing very different types of training.

Dan

DBradD
08-05-2008, 20:04
So are you getting at least 5-6 hours of sleep or is it more like 3-4 scattered hours? For me personally, if I'm not getting at least 5 hours of sleep, it's hopeless to do anything that requires any recovery.

TurboRocket
08-05-2008, 21:37
JD - welcome and yes, please stick around.

DBD - you are quick with the sigs. Funny stuff.

California Jack
08-05-2008, 21:43
Not just that, but its one of those "% of your bodyweight at various inclinations" home gyms.
http://www.chucksconnection.com/dodgeball/dodgeball04.jpg

F'in Chuck Norris. (could not find pic of fat White Goodman)

DBradD
08-05-2008, 21:45
Hey, watch out. Saying something about Chuck Norris is perilous to one's health. It would be sad to lose a GT S&C regular to a roundhouse kick to the head.

BCR
08-06-2008, 00:56
Thanks again, for the welcomes. I realize my type of training is not what you guys focus on, but it always helps me to get ideas from people doing very different types of training.

Dan

My kind of training revolves around destroying my shoulder, over and over and over.....

Let me know if you need any pointers.:rofl:

Welcome bud.:supergrin:

jdsumner
08-06-2008, 04:24
"So are you getting at least 5-6 hours of sleep or is it more like 3-4 scattered hours? For me personally, if I'm not getting at least 5 hours of sleep, it's hopeless to do anything that requires any recovery."-DBradD

Dude, I'd love to get 5-6 uninterrupted hrs of sleep. I just dont sleep well to start with. Wake up every 3 hrs or so, and I feel like I'm late for something. During the school mo's, the kids hafta get up early, so the wife gets up early, so she'll go to bed quite a bit earlier. Most of the school yr, I can get to bed around 9-10pm, and up at 4:30-5. Even then, I still am up 3 or 4 times through the night. But summer, she works in the office (in our home till 10:30pm, then comes in to get bathed and ready for bed. By then, its 11 or later. Whats worse, if I do manage to get to sleep b4 then, when she gets in bed, it wakes me up and I have a tuff time going back to sleep.

Also, I work as a tech for a large telecom down here, and when the lightning season is on, the company 'requires' us to work 6 days. And usually 'requires' us to stay at least 2 hrs past our tour. So mainly what I try to do for this time of yr is just survive, and maintain.

That pic of White Goodman is great, if I can figure out how to make it an avatar, I got dibs.

Dan

California Jack
08-06-2008, 16:17
Hey Dan, where is Riverview?

jdsumner
08-06-2008, 16:51
Little bit south of Tampa Bay, FL.
Just go south till you see the tourists wilt from the heat.
So, Jack, where you from? Wait, wait, dont tell me, lemme guess....

Allrighty then, I'm gonna post my , ahem, leg routine for today. Kid all you want, but hook me up w/ some ideas to augment my summer training.
(go easy on the 'go get you a tree trunk and squat it, and super set it with pushing your pickup up the hill' routine.) That whole back surgery thing has me a little, no a lot chicken, of monster compression exercises. I'll get there, its probably more psychological than physical, but the fear is there. I dont ever wanna know that pain again. but, I digress.......
warm up - 6 mins walk/jog
4 x 15 walking lunges super'd with 4 x 15 deep jumps, 30 sec between sets,
4 x 15 side to side log jumps, 30 sec between sets,
3 x 15 ham pulls on girlie boy home gym, alternating legs, minimum rest,
3 x 25 standing calves

There it is , have at it.......
and thanks again, in advance.

Dan

proactive
08-06-2008, 17:00
Welcome, Dan! Ignore any private messages with the subject line "oil" and you'll be just fine.

jdsumner
08-06-2008, 17:11
any private messages with the subject line "oil" and you'll be just fine.

things that make ya go ........buhuhuhhhhh.

Dan

DBradD
08-06-2008, 17:23
Pro-
You kill me w/ that sig line...

jdsumner
08-06-2008, 17:25
Pro,
what part of FL?

Dan

proactive
08-06-2008, 17:28
Orlando area.

California Jack
08-06-2008, 18:36
Welcome, Dan! Ignore any private messages with the subject line "oil" and you'll be just fine.
That's not funny at all. LOL

DBradD
08-06-2008, 19:08
...warm up - 6 mins walk/jog
4 x 15 walking lunges super'd with 4 x 15 deep jumps, 30 sec between sets,
4 x 15 side to side log jumps, 30 sec between sets,
3 x 15 ham pulls on girlie boy home gym, alternating legs, minimum rest,
3 x 25 standing calves...
Doesn't seem too bad to me. You might consider adding one legged squats if you want more strength work without loading your back. There's a tutorial here: http://www.beastskills.com/Pistol.htm Also, if you work your way to doing them rock bottom, you can probably ditch the leg curls on your Chuck Norris Gym.

California Jack
08-06-2008, 19:39
Hey, watch out. Saying something about Chuck Norris is perilous to one's health. It would be sad to lose a GT S&C regular to a roundhouse kick to the head.
It is ok, Chuck's cool with me, after all, he is an Okie too.

jdsumner
08-06-2008, 20:06
Thanks, Brad.
I tried some 1 legged squats by placing the heel of one foot on the log and attempting to squat using the other leg. The balance is what was killing me. My 11yo daughter kept saying something along the lines of "with all that arm flailing, I cant tell if you're training legs, or rotator cuffs". cute kid, right?
May try the 1leg squat next to something to hold onto, during the descent for a few sessions, see if my balance (and strength) improves.

Thanks again, Brad
.......oh, and you too, 'Oily Jack'.

Dan

DBradD
08-06-2008, 20:40
Try doing the OLS barefoot on a very hard surface. It's many times easier than using squishy cross-trainers or, worse yet, running shoes. You can also try holding onto something for balance. Yet another idea is to use high-top workboots with hard soles. Some people think those help stabilize. I like barefoot personally. I'm not super confident of my stability, so I put a small support at the very bottom to help me judge depth (don't "sit" on it, just barely touch it) and so I can just let go if I start to go sideways or do something else that might cause a knee problem. The one time my knee started really aching after OLSs was after a rep in which I was going sideways and pressed on up.

California Jack
08-06-2008, 21:01
Hey, what did I do? :rofl:

It could be worse, instead of "Oily Jack" it could have been "Oiler Jack".

I hope that wasn't sig line worthy.

DBradD
08-07-2008, 02:26
Damn close. Damn close. Pro took the best one EVER, so the rest of us are on the prowl...

I thought 'bout "Euler Jack" with Euler pronounced like Oiler, of course, but it's too much of an inside joke (Euler as in the guy who invented a lot of math stuff a couple hundred years ago).

California Jack
08-07-2008, 05:47
Eualer, good one :rofl::rofl: