street helmets - arai vs scorpion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : street helmets - arai vs scorpion

punkture
08-06-2008, 08:30
I've been doing my research and going to all the local shops to try on different helmets to get the right fit. So far this is what I've come up with:

Arai fit like a glove but are pricey.

Shoei just don't fit my head right in any model I've tried on (not sure of the models by name though).

My head is worth too much for a bottom of the line helmet like HJC. At the same time, I'm not trying to buy the most expensive helmet I can find either.

Scorpion exo400 and exo700 fits fantastically and are inexpensive which automatically turns on my helmet snob mode.

After coming up with this bit of information, I started researching Scorpion helmets. Pretty much everything I've read about this is good, other than the fact that they could be slightly less noisey, but overall weren't irritatingly or unsafely loud.

The two schools of thought I've come across are:

1 - If its Snell/DOT certified, its good enough!
2 - How much is your head worth? You get what you pay for.

The shops around here care nothing more than to get you out the door legally. That is not my goal. My goal is to be safe. With that said, I'd like to hear advice and opinions on the Scorpion helmets. I already know that Arai and Shoei are what I SHOULD be looking at, but IF Scorpion are worth having, I'd really like to save the extra cash.

I have talked to two people who personally use Scorpion EXO400s and they rave about them. Not too heavy, not too loud, inexpensive, built well, etc seems to be their opinions.

They are designed and tested in the USA and made in China - another factor that turns me off, but then again its not a $600 helmet either. Opinions please...

Cryptoboy
08-06-2008, 10:40
Keep in mind that the how much is your head worth isn't always the case when you get down to it. If the helmet is DOT/Snell certified, the higher prices are typically for the comforts more so than additional protection! The more expensive helmets typically are lighter, have better ventilation, and more options for accessories at times (different shields, straps, etc.) A $500 helmet doesn't necessarily protect your head more than a $150 helmet, but it will most likely enable you to ride more comfortably and for longer time periods!

fnfalman
08-06-2008, 11:20
Keep in mind that the how much is your head worth isn't always the case when you get down to it. If the helmet is DOT/Snell certified, the higher prices are typically for the comforts more so than additional protection! The more expensive helmets typically are lighter, have better ventilation, and more options for accessories at times (different shields, straps, etc.) A $500 helmet doesn't necessarily protect your head more than a $150 helmet, but it will most likely enable you to ride more comfortably and for longer time periods!

I beg to differ. DOT/Snell standards are the MINIMUM they have to meet. All of the cars on the road meet DOT crash standards. Not all of them have the same level of crash protections. Same thing with helmet.

However, Scorpion is one of the brands nowadays that have that good price-to-quality ratio.

I trust my beloved niece's head to two of those helmets.

Cryptoboy
08-06-2008, 13:56
I beg to differ. DOT/Snell standards are the MINIMUM they have to meet. All of the cars on the road meet DOT crash standards. Not all of them have the same level of crash protections. Same thing with helmet.

However, Scorpion is one of the brands nowadays that have that good price-to-quality ratio.

I trust my beloved niece's head to two of those helmets.

I didn't say it was definitive by any means. But as you are pointing out yourself, the most expensive helmet isn't necessarily the best protecting one!

fnfalman
08-06-2008, 15:09
I didn't say it was definitive by any means. But as you are pointing out yourself, the most expensive helmet isn't necessarily the best protecting one!

The US haven't done any true destructive testings of helmets but the UK does and Arai always ranked at the top.

punkture
08-07-2008, 07:45
well, good news. i took delivery of the aprilia last night and they guy threw in an arai vector in my size. i'll probably pick up a scorpion for the rare occasion that my wife wants to ride.

Cryptoboy
08-07-2008, 10:04
Congrats on the bike! Looks great! Nothing like a free helmet to add in too! :cool:

fnfalman
08-07-2008, 15:56
Congrats on the Aprilia and the Arai Vector that fits your head. But make sure that the Scorpion fits your wife's head. You can buy the best helmet made but it's nearly worthless if it doesn't fit the noggin.