Deploying soon, worried about injury. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deploying soon, worried about injury.

Hal9mm
08-09-2008, 14:41
I got hurt and had to have a surgery. The injury is still hurting me but I am recovering, i am just wondering if a recent surgery is going to be a problem, how about a surgery another red flag? How about the pain, is that going to be a problem when I need to pass medical?

GJ1981
08-09-2008, 16:23
If your Dr doesn't have you severally restricted then I see no reason why you wouldn't be a go. When you go through you pre-deployment BS you'll either tell them you're in pain or not. If you're seriously in that much pain you need to handle it through whoever did the surgery. I was deployed with a fracture in my foot so you can be deployed with an injury.

GMAN40
09-01-2008, 06:47
I got hurt and had to have a surgery. The injury is still hurting me but I am recovering, i am just wondering if a recent surgery is going to be a problem, how about a surgery another red flag? How about the pain, is that going to be a problem when I need to pass medical?

It all depends on your unit. true story: I spent my first 4 months of deployment at CENTCOM (I was an MP) and had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder. My commander the next day said being I was left handed I was good to go for duty, (for using my M-9) even with my right arm in a sling! Go figure.

DriBak
09-07-2008, 19:13
Been there done that

NYS Ret.5763
09-08-2008, 12:05
Dude..IF YOU WANT TO GO..YOU'LL GO!!! When we "spun up" last June('07) it seemed that NOBODY who REALLY want to go to Iraq was denied the opportunity. Now once you are over there(depending on job and FOB)a medical issue could screw you over. My only "beef" was with guys who were obviously OVERWEIGHT that were pushed through, did a great job over there and then were screwed out of an award because they didn't make height and weight standards!!:steamed: I wasn't one of those, but they made sure that guys who would NOT have been in the RA 25 years ago(or probably today either)GOT TO IRAQ come hell or high water then played the b.s. game on them in the end. That's why I half-joke that the Army National Guard motto should be changed to: "Be ALL THAT'S LEFT". Great guys, true volunteers(many with both Active and Guard tours overseas)with civilian skill-sets the Regulars CAN'T match getting the short end of the stick!! SORRY:embarassed:.. I DIDN'T MEAN TO GO ON A TANGENT!! GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE!!!!!

HogGlocker
09-10-2008, 10:30

Allright ......if you had surgery there is a defined recovery period as determined by your doctor whether at a MTF [Medical Treatment Facility] or by your civillian doctor depending on your case....or possibly a combination of both if you are Reserve Component.

Surgery=profile=recovery=evaluation=status.

If you are in a defined recovery status and are on limited profile then your ability to deploy will be determined by the docs.

The level to which you currently participate in normal duty or PT activities is a good indicator of your ability to deploy with your unit.

If you can not perform your normal duties and it can be shown that you won't be able to do so for some time, then there are issues.

If you are simply in recovery mode, though in pain, but with the prognosis and expectation of eventual recovery, then you will likely deploy.

It can be unit dependent...if they watn you...you'll go. If you insist that you can't go that is another thing.

Simply being in pain is not sufficient to warrant non-deployment.

CPT_CRUNCH
09-10-2008, 17:22
hal, same thing happened to me. had surgery, deployed during my recovery period. so a lot of it depends on you. just keep in mind that your unit will more than likely push you to go of course they will we're short across the board. but the thing to remember is you have to deal w/ what happens to your body over there (and when you get back). also there are limited medical at most places you could be. so you'd hate to re-injure yourself and have to get medevac'ed out. then your be in a whole new world of bs.

tc556guy
09-16-2008, 00:07
If you are not medically cleared from your surgery, you are non-deployable.
If you have been medically cleared, then its gonna be up to you to tell them if its still bothering you. I had c%/C^ removed and replaced with cadaver bone in 2004. The body armor kills me if worn for long periods of time, and shooting prone for extended periods of time is a no-go. I live on Ibuprofen some days. I'm still here though, and extending for a second year. You decide what you are able or willing to tolerate.