Damn I just love lightning storms … [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Damn I just love lightning storms …

Sgt. Schultz
08-10-2008, 13:18
My neighbor who knows I have my own computer repair/IT business asked me if I was interested in 8 scrap computers that his company was throwing out. Their IT department (???) had to replace them after a lightning storm a couple of months ago and now the bosses were tired of looking at “the pile of junk in the corner”. When I picked them up Friday they said scrap them, fix them, they didn’t care … they were mine to do with as I pleased. I asked about any data and I was told that all data was stored on a server in Atlanta.

Well as you’ve probably already guessed they were all quick repairs, five of them only needed power supplies and the other three booted on the first try! The computers are Dell XPS 420-105W desktops, 2.4GHz, 3 GB Ram, 320 GB SATA hard drive, DVD±RW SATA drive and ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 128mb … they are about a year old. I was able to replace the PS’s with salvaged parts so my only out of pocket expense was the cost of gas for a 60 mile road trip!

itsnitro
08-10-2008, 13:46
My neighbor who knows I have my own computer repair/IT business asked me if I was interested in 8 scrap computers that his company was throwing out. Their IT department (???) had to replace them after a lightning storm a couple of months ago and now the bosses were tired of looking at “the pile of junk in the corner”. When I picked them up Friday they said scrap them, fix them, they didn’t care … they were mine to do with as I pleased. I asked about any data and I was told that all data was stored on a server in Atlanta.

Well as you’ve probably already guessed they were all quick repairs, five of them only needed power supplies and the other three booted on the first try! The computers are Dell XPS 420-105W desktops, 2.4GHz, 3 GB Ram, 320 GB SATA hard drive, DVD±RW SATA drive and ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 128mb … they are about a year old. I was able to replace the PS’s with salvaged parts so my only out of pocket expense was the cost of gas for a 60 mile road trip!

I'll pay ya half the gas cost for one? :)

ETA: Plus shipping of course.

ETAA: I'm serious..... :) I need a new computer.

Razrbk444
08-10-2008, 13:48
Good score......The only free computer stuff ever offered to me was a bunch of 19" monochrome CRT's...... I had to pass.

Sgt. Schultz
08-10-2008, 15:59
I'll pay ya half the gas cost for one? :)

ETA: Plus shipping of course.

ETAA: I'm serious..... :) I need a new computer.
Sorry but I used two of them to replace my wife’s and daughters (1GHz, & 1.1 GHZ) old systems, another two to replace my server and test computer and I gave one to the neighbor. I sent an e-mail to my customers so I know the others will be gone (locally) before the end of the week.

IndyGunFreak
08-10-2008, 16:00

Thats awesome..

I've scored some halfway decent stuff that people thought was broke, or to old to do anything. Nothing like the above though. Those things will run freakin Vista.

Do they have an OS and software installed, or what?..

Sgt. Schultz
08-10-2008, 16:01
Good score......The only free computer stuff ever offered to me was a bunch of 19" monochrome CRT's...... I had to pass.Yeah I get asked about old monitors all the time, if they work I take them and give them to my daughters school.

Sgt. Schultz
08-10-2008, 19:45
Do they have an OS and software installed, or what?..They did but I wiped the drives, they even gave me the KB & mice. I told them that they would work with any system but they didn't want to store them. I just smiled and said thanks! I figured at best I'd be able to salvage the hard drives, DVD drives and maybe the RAM along with the cases, especially after they told me that lightning had fried everything electronic in the building ... I think I'll play the lottery tomorrow!

rhikdavis
08-16-2008, 21:46
Whats the specs on your 1.1 ghz pute... :supergrin:

I'm using P3 800.....

Sgt. Schultz
08-17-2008, 09:31
Whats the specs on your 1.1 ghz pute... :supergrin:

I'm using P3 800.....Ouch!

NetNinja
08-17-2008, 11:22
Wha!?

Ok they are a year old and they didn't have a 3 year warranty on them?
Either they have a suck ass company or a very incompetent IT dept.

I am going to go with both of the above.

Grats on your haul.

cgwahl
08-18-2008, 22:23
I got a free TV once.

This girl won it in a raffle and said it didn't work. Why she didn't return it for a replacement is beyond me, but said I can have it if I want to play with it.

Well, I find TV's dangerous so I don't tinker with them, but figured what the heck. I take it home. Plug it in then turn it on. Worked fine. Only thing I can figure was she was too dumb to hit the power button on the TV. And was possibly using the remote.

Patrick Graham
08-19-2008, 08:25
That's a heck of a deal.