Stealing my wireless? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stealing my wireless?

Redhawk
08-10-2008, 22:30
I live in a really rural area. I have a few cabins around me that are used on the occasional weekend. I have my wireless configured as an open connection. That does not really bother me. How can I tell if my neighbors are using my wireless? I would not like it if they were doing something illegal. Is it possible to check what is being viewed on my connection?

J_86
08-11-2008, 00:55
Trying typing, in your browsers address bar, 192.168.1.1 OR 192.168.2.1 OR 192.168.0.1
You should recieve some type of pop up asking for a user name an password.

If your router is still at the default factory settings, it should be username "admin" password "admin" or "password". This gives you access to all the settings/info. Poke around there and look for something called "DHCP Client List" or similar. This is a list of the computers that are connected to the router. If that does not work, post what kind of wireless router you have and I can give you more detail info of what to do.

As far as knowing what they are looking at/doing, that's possible but very complicated/detailed. If you are concerned they are doing something they should not be, I would just set up encryption on your router to take care of that.

IndyGunFreak
08-11-2008, 02:47
I live in a really rural area. I have a few cabins around me that are used on the occasional weekend. I have my wireless configured as an open connection. That does not really bother me. How can I tell if my neighbors are using my wireless? I would not like it if they were doing something illegal. Is it possible to check what is being viewed on my connection?

If you're concerned about them doing something illegal, then the smart thing to do, is lock it down.

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
08-11-2008, 06:22
Why would you let strangers surf on your dime? IGF is right lock it down.

noway
08-11-2008, 08:57
deploy mac-address filtering and have of your worries would go away

HerrGlock
08-11-2008, 08:59

As said, lock it down to only your MAC address, change the ESSID and don't advertise anything on the router.

Also, you can set up a firewall and have it log all packets to another machine and daily have a script that goes through and checks how many internal IP addresses there are on the network, where they've gone, how long they were on and other stuff :thumbsup:

Gallium
08-11-2008, 21:08
In addition to locking it down to only your MAC address and securing the router, you can also define in the router the # of IP addresses it will dispense.

'Drew

dotsun
08-17-2008, 21:00
deploy mac-address filtering and have of your worries would go away

MAC filtering will keep an honest man honest, but if you want a WAP locked down correctly you damn well better use WPA encryption with a strong (ie. non dictionary nor easily guessed) password.

kilroy2721
08-18-2008, 05:19
1. Change the SSID.
2. Do not broadcast
3. update and enable WPA security if your router will let you. WEP can be broken to easily.
4. Enable MAC filtering.

This will keep most people out of your wireless network. But a determined hacker will still be able to get in. Use a combination of Alphnumeric & special characters like &@!* this will make it harder to break.

Patrick Graham
08-19-2008, 08:29
How far away are the cabins?

You may not have anything to worry about if they are too far to get a decent connection.

Redhawk
08-23-2008, 07:06
Thanks for the advice guys. I have locked it down. I think that is the best choice. The closest cabin is probably 100 yards and that was the one I was concerned with. I think it was in signal range.

The Pontificator
08-23-2008, 09:28
Good idea. Otherwise, you might wake up to find "Barnyard Buddies" uploaded to "My Videos". :wow:

:rofl:

Big Al 24
08-24-2008, 03:19
And change that "Admin" password to some lengthy gibberish of symbols numbers and letters and write it down somewhere- make it as long as possible.

tampashooters
08-24-2008, 08:08
I doubt your neighbors can get a signal 100yds away.... but like others said, just lock it down, no reason not too..

Gun Shark
08-24-2008, 10:49
I doubt your neighbors can get a signal 100yds away.... but like others said, just lock it down, no reason not too..

I doubt that to but I recently saw an antenna for your laptops wireless connection at office depot. I would still lock it down though if you have an experienced hacker or cracker near you, they could easily get into your computer through an open network.( I am not that experienced and I did it for !@#$& and giggles at a hotel a couple of years ago.) All I did was click on a computer on the network. Plus if they are downloading anything like movies or programs it will slow your internet connection down to a near halt. Also Keep your computer secure and if you notice anything weird happening check it out quickly you never know if it's serious unless you check.