32 or 64? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 32 or 64?

aspartz
08-11-2008, 08:27
It's time to build a new computer and pass the current one on to a new home...

I've accepted that the new one will Vista/Linux multiboot, the only question is which Vista 32 or 64 bit.

I expect this one to go about 2-4 years before it to gets passed down the food chain. The question is, will 3Meg of RAM be enough in 2 years? If not why not go 64 bit now?

What is the current state of drivers in the MS 64bit world?

ARS

HerrGlock
08-11-2008, 09:02
64 bit will have vulnerabilities in it for a few years yet that are not published just because it's a new setup.

Unless you're a gamer, do full length movies and/or high resolution graphics, a 32 bit system with 3 Gig of RAM will be plenty in 2-3 years.

tous
08-11-2008, 10:43
If you are confident hunting down and installing drivers for both Vista x64 and Linux x64, go for it. :cool:

NB: despite two years of 'coming soon' there still is no x64 version of the Shockwave plugin for any browser known to man in the Linux world. Yes, you can load the x86 version and make it work in an x86 browser, but that's a lot of work.

If you plan to watch youtube, best stick with x86 penguins. Vista x64 will install both an x64 and an x86 version of Internet Explorer. You can also install the x86 version of Firefox.

Some Linux x64 distributions are still a little flakey.

havensal
08-12-2008, 12:22
I have XP and XP64 installed on my home PC. I have not seen a big difference between the two performance wise. Probably if you have a specific task that could utilize the 64 bit, than it would be good, but there isn't a whole lot of 64 bit software for home use. :dunno: