MS motorcycle endorsement [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MS motorcycle endorsement

punkture
08-12-2008, 15:48
I'll be taking the written and road test at the Hwy 468 location by the prison in pearl. I called around and ALL of the locations claim to be out of the motorcycle manual.

dmv.org says that the following pdf is the "online copy"

http://www.dmv.org/loading-page.php?mainnav_id=63&stateid=24&state=Mississippi&section=Motorcycle+Manual&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msf-usa.org%2Fdownloads%2FMotorcycle_Operator_Manual.pdf

However, I've checked with a few motorcycle buddies of mine and they said that this isn't the manual Mississippi uses.

My question to you guys is...

Is this the correct manual, and if not, is it sufficient or is there another location to download the manual?

OXCOPS
08-12-2008, 15:58
http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.nsf/webFAQs/F48026BB300255A086256A3E005175BA?OpenDocument

"Mississippi uses the Motorcycle Foundation Operator's Manual..."

The PDF you attached is from the same group.

MidnightJMC
08-22-2008, 20:56
I just scanned thru it but most of that looks identical to the book you get from the DMV. It's sufficient but lacks the hand signals. I remember those being on the test.

whoflungdo
08-25-2008, 13:25
I just scanned thru it but most of that looks identical to the book you get from the DMV. It's sufficient but lacks the hand signals. I remember those being on the test.

No hand signals on the test I took last year. I would suggest you go to this web-site,http://www.motosteps.org/ and take the Motorcycle Safety Course. They will teach you everything you need to know. This course will be required soon from what I hear.

I have two co-workers that have taken the course and passed the test the first time.

I took the written and riding test last year and passed both with just the manual you have found. I would have taken the course, but didn't find out about it until afterwards. I think it is relatively new here too.

trbaldridge
08-26-2008, 15:42
When they first started requiring an endorsement in MS I was grandfathered in. Then I moved to Louisiana and they made every one take the test so I figured I might as well do the MSF course. So I took the course and passed the test easily. A couple of years later I moved back to MS and they will not accept the LA endorsement as proof of compentency and make me take their test. At that time I do not believe it was based on MSF it was more like voodoo and witchdoctoring. So I took the test and failed. I bought their book, went home and learned what they wanted me to learn, came back and passed the test, and then quickly forgot what they wanted me to learn and used MSF principles again.

A couple of weeks later my wife goes up to take the test and they gave her an endorsement without a test because she had an LA endorsement.

Oh, by the way, at that time (1991 or so) the basic MSF course was taught at no charge in LA. They used the money from the mc endorsement to pay for it.

terry

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.nsf/webFAQs/F48026BB300255A086256A3E005175BA?OpenDocument

"Mississippi uses the Motorcycle Foundation Operator's Manual..."

The PDF you attached is from the same group.

XENICINTEL
08-29-2008, 22:16
Is this course just a saftey course or will it teach a complete newbie how to ride from start to finish??
i have never really riden a motorcycle and that is what i want to learn how to do safely.
please, clarify???????

whoflungdo
08-30-2008, 08:31
Is this course just a saftey course or will it teach a complete newbie how to ride from start to finish??
i have never really riden a motorcycle and that is what i want to learn how to do safely.
please, clarify???????

It does both. Two people from work took this couse that had never ridden before. They were taught safety, how to ride properly, and the rules for the test. Since they took the course, they did not have to take the riding exam, only the written. It also saves you on insurance.

XENICINTEL
08-30-2008, 22:11
I APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'am thinking very hard about going through the course.
thank you for the info.

best regards,
x

punkture
09-22-2008, 07:27
this question relates to this, somewhat, so i figured i'd just ask it in my original thread. what is the fine for riding without an endorsement or does it vary? i've had at least 5 different people ask me last week and can't find the answer anywhere else so i figured the nice guys over at glocktalk have the answer.

whoflungdo
09-22-2008, 09:12
this question relates to this, somewhat, so i figured i'd just ask it in my original thread. what is the fine for riding without an endorsement or does it vary? i've had at least 5 different people ask me last week and can't find the answer anywhere else so i figured the nice guys over at glocktalk have the answer.

I don't know what the fine is, but you could face a 1 year suspension of getting your endorsement if you do. It other words, you get busted riding without the endorsement, you will have to wait a year before you are eligible to get the endorsement plus whatever the fine is.

punkture
09-22-2008, 09:47
thanks. i'll pass that along. i'd rather see all these guys riding legally anyways. from talking around, it seems to be a growing trend of people riding without endorsements.

OXCOPS
09-22-2008, 16:52
If the bike touches public roadways, you better have an endorsement.

SEC. 63-1-6. Requirement of motorcycle operator's license.

No person shall drive or operate a motorcycle upon the highways of the State of Mississippi without first securing either a regular operator's license with a motorcycle endorsement upon it, or a restricted motorcycle operator's license, except those persons especially exempted by Section 63-1-7, Mississippi Code of 1972; provided, however, that any person possessing a valid Mississippi operator's license issued prior to July 1, 1985, may operate a motorcycle upon the highways of this state until such time as said license expires. Upon the expiration of a license issued prior to July 1, 1985, and the payment of One Dollar ($1.00), the applicant for renewal may obtain the necessary motorcycle endorsement without further examination.

A motorcycle endorsement may be issued any person who holds a valid Mississippi driver's license and meets the other requirement for such endorsement contained in this chapter.

A restricted motorcycle operator's license may be issued to any applicant who fulfills all the requirements necessary to obtain a Mississippi operator's license that may be applicable to the operation of a motorcycle. Such license shall entitle the holder thereof to operate a motorcycle, and no other motor vehicle, upon the highways of this state.

SOURCES: Laws, 1985, ch. 376, Sec. 1, eff from and after July 1, 1985.

punkture
10-21-2008, 08:11
just so you guys know. my curiosity got the best of me so i ran by the hwy patrol office the other day and asked them. according to them the fine ranges between $175-250 for riding without an endorsement.