GI Bill question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GI Bill question

GJ1981
08-13-2008, 09:19
I'm going to start using my MGIB soon and I had one question for those who already have. I've been told it can take up to three months before all the paperwork is done and I receive funds. My question is how long did end up waiting until you starting receiving your funds?

GJ1981
08-17-2008, 11:44
No one has used their MGIB or what?

black rob
08-17-2008, 12:20
I have been using mine since 99, I don't recall the exact time that it took, but it was worth the wait. If they estimate a time, it is usually right on.

Talk to your school about paying for your classes once the funds arrive, they should be understanding.

Hope this helps,
Rob

GJ1981
08-18-2008, 16:27
Thanks for the response. :wavey:

93GT
08-18-2008, 21:08
It took me around 6 weeks from when I started my paperwork through, just talk to the VA rep at the university in advance. My biggest problem was that it came in monthly installments, but the college wanted their money up front. Thank goodness they had an installment plan that was affordable. You can always go with loans, then repay them as you get the bill, but that takes some financial discipline.

the iceman
08-19-2008, 00:16
I applied for the GI bill in Jan 04 and I had the payments by the first week of Feb 04.

deadday
08-19-2008, 10:33
Shouldn't take more than a month....However, if you are not in a hurry, I would STRONGLY suggest you wait until Sept of 2009 to start using your MGIB. At that point you will also received BAH (paid at the E5 w/dependents level) along with your monthly stipend...

drew

GJ1981
08-19-2008, 11:21
I would STRONGLY suggest you wait until Sept of 2009 to start using your MGIB.

drew

I would love to do it that way but I've been delaying college for far to long. If I use it now that doesn't affect the revised 09 bill does it? I know whatever funds I use will be readjusted but after all the new benefits would apply right? I'm beginning to wonder about my VA rep from this school. A month sounds more believable so I'll cross my fingers that she didn't screw anything up.

deadday
08-19-2008, 14:08
I'm really not sure how it works, I have not read everything about it that I can make sense of yet....The Army Times article on it was HORRIBLY written, and most of the info online is conflicting...

drew

GJ1981
08-19-2008, 14:43
You are very correct about the info online being conflicting. I did a search and found two recruiters, among others, giving a guy two different answers. It's probably my computer but the VA site hasn't been working to well lately.

dox1842
09-01-2008, 09:14
You are very correct about the info online being conflicting. I did a search and found two recruiters, among others, giving a guy two different answers. It's probably my computer but the VA site hasn't been working to well lately.

Conflicting answers?? That sounds just like everything else in the military... :rofl:

93GT
09-01-2008, 12:57
Sounds like everything in life damn near

ks farmboy
09-01-2008, 13:35
mine took two months to process. it ended up being the wrong amount. they forgot the kicker that i paid for. it took two weeks after that to fix it and let me know. i have had nothing but good luck in receiving information in a timely manner.

bfg1971
09-11-2008, 08:45
Had the same problem with my kicker payment, It all comes in one "check" but its from two different sources make sure the VA knows that you are eligible for the kicker because they do not know unless you tell them.

This year 08 you will get an extra $200 a month as a transition to the new program.

New program. Tuition paid equal to highest public instate tuition in your state. BAH at E-5 with depedents rate each month. $1000 for books and supplies each year.

I think the amount of cash comeing to the individual will go down but the actual benefit will go up as I think the tuition will be paid directly to the school.

As to your original question I think it was about 2 monthes for benefits and about 4 to fix the kicker.

APD
09-11-2008, 09:20
Month or so here.