Windowsa firewall allowing pop-ups?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windowsa firewall allowing pop-ups??

Skyhook
08-14-2008, 10:23
I have been running all my internet and email stuff without Windows Firewall (I'd disabled it) and with the protection offered only by my trend micro I have had no problems whatever.... then after downloading a Vista upgrade/patch/whatever, Windows Firewall is *working* and I am open to all kinds of pop-up/ads, etc.

I suppose this is not entirely unique to my system, but thought I'd bounce it off the group here. Windows Firewall has holes I believe.:upeyes:

jeanjvr
08-14-2008, 10:38
A firewall does not block ads or web popups. All its supposed to do is deny\ignore connection attempts to ports on your computer and allow connections out of your computer to ports on other computers.

I have no experience with vista's firewall, but I run XP SP 3's firewall and I have no problems.

1. Disable port 445 tcp traffic and then all ICMP traffic.
2. Limit all aps to local subnet only. File and printer sharing, etc
3. Trim firewall exceptions to bare minimum.

It doesn't block outgoing connections, but I dont need that functionality.

Google "shields up" and go to the grc website. This site will scan your IP remotely and check for security holes. I pass the test with XP's firewall. :supergrin:

kilroy2721
08-18-2008, 05:22
It is probably your IE browser that is letting you get your popups.

Skyhook
08-18-2008, 06:35
It is probably your IE browser that is letting you get your popups.

But...but... I use Firefox.:dunno:

ALSO, there's another really ANNOYING thing "Windows" is doing.. when clicking on a link in the email, I get a 'BONG!' "Windows cannot find *yada*.. whatever the link is/was. Then the link opens :upeyes:

Like getting a stupid dope slap, that 'BONG' crap. I'd sure like to choke that thing.

Skyhook
08-18-2008, 06:36
A firewall does not block ads or web popups. All its supposed to do is deny\ignore connection attempts to ports on your computer and allow connections out of your computer to ports on other computers.

I have no experience with vista's firewall, but I run XP SP 3's firewall and I have no problems.

1. Disable port 445 tcp traffic and then all ICMP traffic.
2. Limit all aps to local subnet only. File and printer sharing, etc
3. Trim firewall exceptions to bare minimum.

It doesn't block outgoing connections, but I dont need that functionality.

Google "shields up" and go to the grc website. This site will scan your IP remotely and check for security holes. I pass the test with XP's firewall. :supergrin:

OK, I'll get on it.

kc8ykd
08-18-2008, 08:14
But...but... I use Firefox.:dunno:

Download the plugin called "Adblock Plus". This will rid you of popups in Firefox. It will also block a lot of ads normally present in most web pages.

Sgt. Schultz
08-18-2008, 10:18

I hope you realize that XP's firewall is a joke and should not be relied on to protect your system, even GRC.com recommends that you use something other then Windows built in firewall.

Windows firewall only protects you from incoming attacks; third party firewalls add a layer of protection, not only from those that are trying to get in but those trying to access the Internet. Your AntiVirus software may detect a trojan or worm BUT what if it misses it? Thatís where the software firewall comes in Ö it will alert you to attempts by your computer to communicate with the outside world.

jeanjvr
08-18-2008, 10:50
I hope you realize that XP's firewall is a joke and should not be relied on to protect your system, even GRC.com recommends that you use something other then Windows built in firewall.

Windows firewall only protects you from incoming attacks; third party firewalls add a layer of protection, not only from those that are trying to get in but those trying to access the Internet. Your AntiVirus software may detect a trojan or worm BUT what if it misses it? That’s where the software firewall comes in … it will alert you to attempts by your computer to communicate with the outside world.

The pc is connected to the internet through through dsl in bridge mode and runs the free Jana caching proxy server and prints stuff over the network.

Thats all it does, day in day out. It also splits local and international traffic into two seperate adsl accounts. Over here local only account data is 7 times cheaper.

I don't play games over the internet or use aps that need direct connectivity. The proxy server works real nice.

jeanjvr
08-18-2008, 10:58
Oh, and I did try a few free firewall aps like comodo and the like. Worked well, until I dailed out my second PPoE connection to the internet on one pc. The products I tried completely (apparently) shut down and the GRC test looked like a Christmas tree! I really do not know why. I tested this numerous times, if they fixed that I would install comodo again.

Skyhook
08-18-2008, 11:19
Download the plugin called "Adblock Plus". This will rid you of popups in Firefox. It will also block a lot of ads normally present in most web pages.
Thankee kindly. On my way to doin' it. :thumbsup:

Skyhook
08-18-2008, 11:22
The pc is connected to the internet through through dsl in bridge mode and runs the free Jana caching proxy server and prints stuff over the network.

Thats all it does, day in day out. It also splits local and international traffic into two seperate adsl accounts. Over here local only account data is 7 times cheaper.

I don't play games over the internet or use aps that need direct connectivity. The proxy server works real nice.

I positively have no idea whatever whut th'hell you are talking about, here---- but...but... I am running wunnerful VISTA, doncha know.:upeyes:

jeanjvr
08-18-2008, 11:26
I positively have no idea whatever whut th'hell you are talking about, here---- but...but... I am running wunnerful VISTA, doncha know.:upeyes:

:supergrin:

It was a bit off topic I know, was just replying to Sgt. Schultz.

I dual boot Vista\XP but I am back to XP, all the little things in Vista just made me go "screw it!" I'm going back to XP. I am not bashing Vista. It did not crash once.