HELP! Adobe Woes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Adobe Woes

Mushinto
08-15-2008, 15:01
I recently sucomber to downloading the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader that kept popping up on my screen every time I opened a .pdf file.

Great, some update. Now I can't open up any .pdf files.

The error message is someting like "Windows does not know what program created this file."

The adobe help page is no help.

My system is Windows XP 2002 version, Service Pack 1.

I am a computer dunce when it come to anything I don't know. And I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

ML

Washington,D.C.
08-15-2008, 15:33
I recently sucomber to downloading the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader that kept popping up on my screen every time I opened a .pdf file.

Great, some update. Now I can't open up any .pdf files.

The error message is someting like "Windows does not know what program created this file."

The adobe help page is no help.

My system is Windows XP 2002 version, Service Pack 1.

I am a computer dunce when it come to anything I don't know. And I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

ML

Double click the PDF file ( right click and choose "Open") It sould ask if you want Windows to search (the internet) for which program to use to open the file or if you want to choose from a list, pick "choose from a list" it should list the programs in your PC. Choose Adobe Acrobat Reader and check the box that says "Always open with this program".

Washington,D.C.
08-15-2008, 15:37
Here are the different versions of Acrobat Reader. I like version 8 with it's latest update instead of version 9 but either should work. Then you can switch off the "check for updates".

http://filehippo.com/download_adobe_reader/

A faster lighter weight PDF reader is Foxit Reader. You may or may not like it's format as it "looks" slightly different. Don't have both Adobe and Foxit installed though.

http://filehippo.com/download_foxit/

Mushinto
08-15-2008, 22:17
Double click the PDF file ( right click and choose "Open") It sould ask if you want Windows to search (the internet) for which program to use to open the file or if you want to choose from a list, pick "choose from a list" it should list the programs in your PC. Choose Adobe Acrobat Reader and check the box that says "Always open with this program".
That didn't work. It couldn't find any programs that would open the file.

I went to programs and reinstalled the program and it worked.

Thanks for your help.

ML