currently under attack-- need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : currently under attack-- need help

dan lenson
08-16-2008, 08:39
Gents,

I try to be very cautious when online & limit any malicious content my PC is exposed to. After each session & during extended pauses, I physically disconnect my DSL / modem connection (I practice this because my computer booted-up & began dialing-up the internet at 1 am once-- my computer had been totally shut-down).

This morning I couldn't access the internet. I rebooted both the computer & the modem with no luck.

Couple hours later, I take a second look & notice a strange little icon in my start-up menu-- it reads:

"Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drives F:, G:, H:, I:"

A second reads:

"Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drive J:"

I have current versions of AVG Free, AdAware Free & my firewall is AShampoo.

After failing to get online this morning, AVG scan was clean, while AdAware had a 'module' it couldn't process & it shut down.

New or unusual sites I have visited within the past few days include MySpace & Yahoo's Launch.com. I frequently use Rhapsody, and have an account with them. Lately I've noticed evidence of their site being hacked.

Any insight or tips on how to get this thing resolved & keep my PC clean?

One more thing... while surfing as usual, recently I've noticed my processor spontaneously whirring away, as if it's reading a cd rom, in prep for a download.

What's up with that and what kinda crap am I dealing with, do you think?

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2008, 09:02
If you're really convinced you have some sort of virus then I would suggest a system restore.. Its just easier to do than get rid of all the malicious crap that is out there... Although I'm not really sure if spyware/adware would cause the problem you're experiencing.

1st. Unplugging your modem, etc, is silly. Get a good, HARDWARE firewall/router, with stateful packet inspection, and you will keep 99% of the nonsense away from you. Here's a good one, if you don't use wireless, its no big deal, just disable wireless in the router settings.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=628108&CatId=2667

2nd. Don't use Internet Explorer.. Use Firefox or Opera

IGF

NetNinja
08-17-2008, 12:45
I sat here for 30 minutes to explain and give you some tips but Glocktalk seems to log you out after several minutes in activity.

Good going Glocktalk.

IndyGunFreak
08-17-2008, 13:06
I sat here for 30 minutes to explain and give you some tips but Glocktalk seems to log you out after several minutes in activity.

Good going Glocktalk.

I've never had that problem..

IGF

Washington,D.C.
08-17-2008, 16:02

Good going Glocktalk.

Yes, that happens when you don't check the box "Remember me?" If you get logged out when posting you can log in without changing pages and your original post will post without having to retype it.

dan lenson
08-17-2008, 19:01

Thanks for giving it a shot, Chief. You can reach me at sixbph@yahoo.com, if you still want to forward the tips.

Called Embarq & found my IP add was incorrect. I'm speaking from asunder, but that kinda smacks of hi-jacking. The technician said it sounded like we'd had a recent electrical storm, which we did.

With a couple unsuccessful reset attempts, they suggested I come in for a new modem. Seems to be working-- so far, so good.

Still wary of the 'Remove Hardware' sessions I mentioned. Wasn't me, that's for sure.

Thanks for your help guys!

Dan

blackopsglock
08-19-2008, 01:55

Good going Glocktalk.
And we want to hear you explain and give us some tips when you can't figure out how to click the remember me box?