Web Hosting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting

Gun Shark
08-16-2008, 17:38
What are the Best Web Hosting Sites available?

Gallium
08-16-2008, 19:52
What are the Best Web Hosting Sites available?

How much traffic are you expecting, what kind of site?

Drew

Braveheart-Ga
08-19-2008, 19:33
I just moved an old website and started a new one on siteground.
has support for a lot of cool technologies, different scripting languages, etc, and the cost is about half of what I paid a year ago. Oh, and there's no size restrictions :D

Toyman
08-20-2008, 08:36
How much traffic are you expecting, what kind of site?
Drew

Yeah, what he said. Some of us have our own servers and host sites for free/low cost to people we "know".

Gun Shark
08-24-2008, 14:19
Yeah, what he said. Some of us have our own servers and host sites for free/low cost to people we "know".
Thanks for the recommendations but i got one a couple of days ago from ICD Soft.com. its one that my teacher recommended and uses.

If I ever need another one I will be sure to post about it again.

noway
08-24-2008, 16:37
Also php or asp windows or a unix? dedicate or shared server ?

You can check with your local service providers and see what they have. Typically they provide low to middle to high prices range based on numerous variables to include dedicate bandwidth or transfer-bytes, shared/dedicate server, and storage size.

I host and run a small private hosting company for dns/www and work with a few other providers ( local).

David_G17
08-27-2008, 18:04
http://hostmysite.com

I've used over half a dozen hosts, and none compare to these guys. They will and can do just about anything. I've had them adjust Apache config files on a shared host to allow SVN, and many other oddball things. Anytime I've ever had a problem, they've been able to fix it right away.

They recently got bought out by Wachovia Securities, so I don't know if the service will change or not. But those guys rock. I usually insist clients use them (no - I don't work for them, they're just much, much better than other hosts I've used in the past).

azlobo
09-04-2008, 09:28
I use dreamhost, and they've been good to me (Debian GNU/Linux shared hosting, MySQL, PHP/Perl/Python etc LAMP stack support, 'one-click' web app installs, etc etc). I also use Godaddy for some things (cheap SSL certs, some handy domain services, etc). Godaddy also has Windows platform hosting options, if you need that for some reason. I'm a mostly Linux nut/fanatic but I do happen to also have/support a GPL licensed .NET web app running on a Windows/IIS server at work, so I heck can't say it doesn't have its uses (right tool for the job etc) :supergrin:

Back on topic: Really the competition for hosting makes the pricing very competitive and made the basement hosters fall by the wayside almost totally. I've heard good things about lunarpages in the past also. Don't pay more than $4 to $10 a month depending on the services you want/need. For $10 a month you should get an insanely good 'developer' package, and for $3 or $4 a month should get a hefty basic package.

Gun Shark
09-04-2008, 22:12
I got a one year contract for $77

Hauptmann6
09-04-2008, 22:44
www.tera-byte.com Been with them for 8 years now. Never had a problem that wasn't my fault. Even then they helped out.