A laptop HD question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A laptop HD question.

M2 Carbine
08-18-2008, 09:36
I recently bought a new laptop. An Acer Extensa 5620-4020. After some internet looking it seemed to be the best bang for the buck.

The down side is it's got Vista.
I always hate a new operating system until after the learning curve but I can't find anything I like about Vista. Plus many of my programs won't work, even with patches.

Anyhow, rather than do away completely with Vista or set up Vista and XP on the same HD I thought I'd just buy a new HD and install XP. Then keep the original HD (Vista) in reserve.

The question is,
I can't figure out what kind of HD it is.
I e-mailed Acer and they weren't any help. Their info says the computer has a hard drive.:upeyes:
I pulled the HD and besides the name, it had no info at all.
The HD has two rows of flat pin connectors, forgot to count them.

Any ideas?

Sgt. Schultz
08-18-2008, 09:59
Before you do anything you need do some to research and see if there are XP drivers available for your laptop. You may have a hard time finding XP drivers for computers built specifically for Vista, especially laptops. I have installed XP on several computers that came with Vista and I had a hell of a time finding some drivers, specifically audio and video Ö and the computer manufactures will NOT help.

M2 Carbine
08-18-2008, 10:35
Thanks.
That's the kind of problems I was afraid I might run into.
I'm a little computer savy but not enough to get myself out of big problems (I create).:supergrin:

Guess I'll just have to learn to love Vista.:upeyes:

and the computer manufactures will NOT help.
Yeah, I've seen that in the past and Acer's e-mail pretty much said if I change anything (like a new HD) it voids the warranty.

Sgt. Schultz
08-18-2008, 11:02
New computers/laptops usually give the user the ability to create a set of system restore DVDís. If you have these you can experiment all you want and if you screw something up or canít find necessary drivers you can always restore the laptop exactly as it was when you took it out of the box.

jeanjvr
08-18-2008, 11:09
I thought I could get used to Vista but here I am...back on XP SP3 and I like it!

dozing4dollars
08-18-2008, 20:55
I bought an inexpensive Acer laptop to take along in my business travels abroad. If it breaks, no big deal, my new Toshiba is at home ready for use.

BTW, the Acer has very good build quality-FAR better than I expected !!

In my case, I went home and did some research before I deleted VISTA off the machine. I read a few discussion forums and then went to an Acer Europe website that sold Acer laptops in Europe with Windows XP on them and had support for the XP family of drivers.

Generally, you can find the manufacturer info in Control Panel>System>Device Manager. I just downloaded the drivers individually and voila! You can go to Toshiba's US site and select Support>Specifications for your specific computer and it will give you a complete list of the components you will need to find>

I did this for a Toshiba laptop I bought my stepdaughter as well.

If you like, do as you suggest and buy a second hard drive to install XP on. I will look to see who built my hard drive and try to write back when I get a chance.

(I just checked and my laptop HD is made by Hitachi.) Your drive appears to be a 2.5" 5400 SATA drive. I think it was 250GB as I recall. I would bet its an Hitachi. See this link for info if it is:http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/E1F385C6ABA70364862572F00067C59B/$file/5K250_DS.pdf

If you wish to purchase another drive to install XP on, you might try here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145159. I have had great luck with Newegg.com.

I will bet that any US purchased Acer laptop shipped with Vista was probably made with XP for shipment somewhere else abroad. The Acer website can be searched for your region of interest-I think Europe would be a good place to start and possibly Australia as I vaguely recall.

Hope this gives you some insight...

M2 Carbine
08-19-2008, 08:21
New computers/laptops usually give the user the ability to create a set of system restore DVD’s. If you have these you can experiment all you want and if you screw something up or can’t find necessary drivers you can always restore the laptop exactly as it was when you took it out of the box
Thanks, yesterday I found (in Vista) where I could do a backup, which I did, and burned the Recovery discs.:)
One of the reasons I want to get a new HD and leave the original alone is I figure if I get in over my head I can just plug back in the original drive and I'll be back to where I am now. I'd rather spend a little money for a second HD for XP if it will help keep me out of trouble.

BTW, the Acer has very good build quality-FAR better than I expected !!
One of my first desktops was a Acer. It gave me no trouble and lasted until it was just too old and slow.

Good info dozing4dollars. I had about given up on the project but I believe I'll look into it again.

Yes, newegg is the first place I look when I need something.
Good price on that HD. Thanks, I was figuring to have to pay about $100.

The Acer does have a Hitachi 250gb HD. Looks like they put that bar code sticker over some useful info.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/AcerHD.jpg

Blitzer
08-19-2008, 08:31
Look up the part number and serial number on the Hitachi support web site.

M2 Carbine
08-19-2008, 15:28
Thanks guys.

I just ordered the HD from newegg that dozing4dollars recommended. The Hitachi site says that's the one I have.:)

M2 Carbine
08-26-2008, 08:15
Update.

I installed the new HD and Win XP.
Searched the Microsoft site for drivers like sound, wireless, etc, and installed them. In Device Manager it still shows some drivers missing. I'll keep looking for them but the computer is up and running fine and connected to the wireless broadband. It's downloaded a number of updates from Microsoft.
All I have to do now is reinstall a few software programs.

I'm a happy camper again with XP.:)

Thanks for the help guys.

Go Sharks
08-26-2008, 17:30
I love Windows Vista

M2 Carbine
08-27-2008, 07:19
I love Windows Vista
It seems that I always hate a new system, ever since Win 95. Then after a while it grows on me. The same may be true with Vista. That's one reason I didn't want to burn my bridges and replace Vista with XP on the original HD.
So if the time comes to replace my desk top computers and the new ones have Vista, I can easily return the laptop to Vista.