Moving counties in NC..How to I tranfers my CCP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving counties in NC..How to I tranfers my CCP

dmb12984
08-19-2008, 09:50
I am moving from Nash County, NC to Wake County, NC. What is the process for updating my CCP information so that my address on my DL matches the one on my CCP?? My DL expires in Jan 2009 or my CCP expires in Jan 2010.

Thx-1138
08-20-2008, 11:22
I am moving from Nash County, NC to Wake County, NC. What is the process for updating my CCP information so that my address on my DL matches the one on my CCP?? My DL expires in Jan 2009 or my CCP expires in Jan 2010.

ß 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit. (http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/byarticle/chapter_14/article_54b.html)

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address.

NC Bullseye
08-20-2008, 22:57
Here are the procedures you need to follow. This is the info I pass in my classes and has been verified.

Once you know you are changing addresses and have your new address (donít wait until you move):

1. Call the issuing sheriffs office and tell them you need to do a change of address for your CHP.
2. Go to the issuing sheriffs office and complete the change of address form.
3. Issuing sheriffs office will give you a completed change of address form to carry with your current CHP to show your new address. You will need to carry the change of address form, the CHP and your NC issued photo ID if you are addressed by a law enforcement officer. This is valid until you are due to renew your CHP. (The issuing sheriff will inform the new sheriffs office via their state communications.)
4. The sheriffs office at your new address will handle the renewal of your CHP. You will need to conduct the renewal process through their office.
5. You have 30 days to do this after your address change but donít wait till the last minute or you may have difficulties do to scheduling of the sheriffs office. DONíT RISK LETTING YOUR PERMIT LAPSE! IF YOU DO, YOU START ALL OVER AGAIN INCLUDING TAKING ANOTHER CHP CLASS!

dfowler21
08-21-2008, 12:55
Make sure to get your Drivers license changed too. In fact my sheriffs office made me get that done before they would do my chp.

13bullets
08-21-2008, 18:35
I've taken the class, but don't totally agree with the system, so I haven't turned in my application. How often does one have to renew their permit? And at what cost? I'm sure they told me when I took the class, but it's been a while.

Grayson
08-22-2008, 21:51
I've taken the class, but don't totally agree with the system, so I haven't turned in my application.

...Oy vey...? :headscratch: Yeah, go unarmed, THAT'LL show them bureaucrats! ;)

Anyhoo, every 5 years at $90 a pop, IIRC.

13bullets
08-24-2008, 09:28
Who said I go unarmed?

Thx-1138
08-25-2008, 10:06
Who said I go unarmed?

Without a concealed carry permit, you would be breaking the law to carry a concealed firearm in NC.

Because GlockTalk's rules prohibit speaking about illegal activities, we must assume that you either open carry or go unarmed.

capnjim01
09-03-2008, 16:16
...Oy vey...? :headscratch: Yeah, go unarmed, THAT'LL show them bureaucrats! ;)

Anyhoo, every 5 years at $90 a pop, IIRC.

I think it is $80 because you don't have to be finger printed again but I could be wrong. I'll let you know for sure in 4 more years.

Short Bus
09-04-2008, 02:02
Here are the procedures you need to follow. This is the info I pass in my classes and has been verified.

Once you know you are changing addresses and have your new address (donít wait until you move):

1. Call the issuing sheriffs office and tell them you need to do a change of address for your CHP.
2. Go to the issuing sheriffs office and complete the change of address form.
3. Issuing sheriffs office will give you a completed change of address form to carry with your current CHP to show your new address. You will need to carry the change of address form, the CHP and your NC issued photo ID if you are addressed by a law enforcement officer. This is valid until you are due to renew your CHP. (The issuing sheriff will inform the new sheriffs office via their state communications.)
4. The sheriffs office at your new address will handle the renewal of your CHP. You will need to conduct the renewal process through their office.
5. You have 30 days to do this after your address change but donít wait till the last minute or you may have difficulties do to scheduling of the sheriffs office. DONíT RISK LETTING YOUR PERMIT LAPSE! IF YOU DO, YOU START ALL OVER AGAIN INCLUDING TAKING ANOTHER CHP CLASS!

This is correct, and it is a pain in the ***. You must have that piece of paper all of the time. I would make several copies of it and keep the original real safe. You will also need to that piece of paper if you use your ccw to buy any new guns.

Sapperstang
09-07-2008, 05:01
This is correct, and it is a pain in the ***. You must have that piece of paper all of the time. I would make several copies of it and keep the original real safe. You will also need to that piece of paper if you use your ccw to buy any new guns.

Actually it was very easy. I went down there, filled out a form and got a card I have to carry with my permit. Very easy.

Grayson
09-07-2008, 21:35
Say....Do you have to go through that WHOLE rigmarole if you're moving - but not to another county?

I'll be moving sometime in the immediate future, but not out of my county of residence. Was gonna inform the Sheriff when things were more concrete. Presumed it would be "no big deal." Forgot that bureaucrats were heavily involved in the creation of process....:dunno: