NV Sheriff & Chief's Association CCW Meeting Sep 10!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NV Sheriff & Chief's Association CCW Meeting Sep 10!!

jpa
08-19-2008, 22:04
I don't remember when/where I read it, but I read something that this was going to be held at the Clark County Gov Center....I'll try to find the source for that later, but everyone please try to make it!

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4106

Nevada: Change of Date for Important Right-to-Carry Forum!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Please Make Plans to Attend This Important Meeting!

The Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association's (NVSCA) previously scheduled right-to-carry open forum for Tuesday, August 5 has been moved to Wednesday, September 10 in Las Vegas. No time or location has been set, however we will be sending you updated information, as soon the details are made public.

Please make plans to attend this important forum - last year's event in Carson City generated hundreds of members who had an opportunity to voice their opinions and concerns regarding all areas of Nevada's right to carry permit system. This year, it's Southern Nevada's turn to make their voices heard!

For more information on the Association, please click here.

JimBianchi
08-19-2008, 22:07
Wed Sept 10, 2008

I saved the day for this.

I'll be there.

digitspaw
08-20-2008, 10:26
I want to attend this as well.

jpa
08-27-2008, 14:29
Date time and location set per this NRA-ILA Update
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4149

Please Attend Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Concealed Cary Forum!
Please Make Plans to Attend This Important Meeting!

The Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association will be holding the second annual Nevada Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit holders' Forum on Wednesday, September 10 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. It will be held at the Nevada Legislature Building at 401 S. Carson Street in Carson City, in room 3138. This meeting will be teleconferenced to the Grant Sawyer Building at 555 E. Washington Blvd. in room 4401 in Las Vegas.

The meeting will also be broadcast on the Nevada Legislature's website at www.leg.state.nv.us. For those members who can't attend the meeting, questions can be submitted prior to the event via email to Frank Adams at fadams@nvsca.com or mailed to the NSCA at P.O. Box 3247 Mesquite, NV 89024.

Last year, hundreds of NRA members attended the meeting and were given an opportunity to provide much-needed input regarding the administration of the CCW permitting process. It is vital that the pro-gun community participate in this important forum - please take the time to show your support for Right to Carry in Nevada!

Unfortunately it will be in Carson (god only knows why...) BUT I will be at the teleconference room at Grant Sawyer. Hope to see you all there!!!

JimBianchi
08-27-2008, 16:24
It's in the book!!

I'll be there at the GS bldg.

jpa
09-08-2008, 09:06
Another Reply To Bring It To The Top! :)

digitspaw
09-09-2008, 14:10
Maw and I will be there, too.

Just remember though, this is a forum of the NSCA and NOT the state legislators, so gripes and suggestions about the state laws won't be appropriate.

This is our opportunity to speak up for things like the dumb ass blue card thing in Clark County, gun registration at all in Clark County, and processes regarding the issuance of CCW permits.

We should also focus on the ridiculous and illegal Boulder City Ordinance, which the DA in Boulder City insists is still valid and in force.

I would also like to see some dialog regarding open carry in the more touristy areas and what Metro really responds to.

osiruscyn
09-09-2008, 14:40
We should also focus on the ridiculous and illegal Boulder City Ordinance, which the DA in Boulder City insists is still valid and in force.

do you mean the city attorney in Boulder City or are you talking about DA David Roger?

jpa
09-09-2008, 15:19
You mean this ordinance? I know the preemption rendered laws enacted after a certain date ineffective, but this is from 1960. I have to go back and look at the law from last session, but I think 60 is before the date.

7-1-3: DISCHARGING FIREARMS, AIR GUNS:

No person except a sheriff, constable or police officer shall fire or discharge any firearms or air guns of any description within one thousand (1,000) yards of any building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway or other public place or have anyfirearms or air gun in his possession within one thousand (1,000) yards of any building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway or public place unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case; provided, that this Section shall not prevent the maintenance and use of duly supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries authorized by the City Council. This Section shall not prohibit the stocking of firearms by duly authorized dealers in the same. (Ord. 28, 1-3-1960, eff. 1-4-1960)

digitspaw
09-09-2008, 18:05
do you mean the city attorney in Boulder City or are you talking about DA David Roger?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant Dave Olsen, the BC city attorney.

digitspaw
09-09-2008, 18:09
You mean this ordinance? I know the preemption rendered laws enacted after a certain date ineffective, but this is from 1960. I have to go back and look at the law from last session, but I think 60 is before the date.

7-1-3: DISCHARGING FIREARMS, AIR GUNS:

No person except a sheriff, constable or police officer shall fire or discharge any firearms or air guns of any description within one thousand (1,000) yards of any building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway or other public place or have anyfirearms or air gun in his possession within one thousand (1,000) yards of any building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway or public place unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case; provided, that this Section shall not prevent the maintenance and use of duly supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries authorized by the City Council. This Section shall not prohibit the stocking of firearms by duly authorized dealers in the same. (Ord. 28, 1-3-1960, eff. 1-4-1960)

Yeah, John. That's the ordinance.
Now, for the reality check. Dave Olsen (city attorney) sez the ordinance is still enforceable but the Chief of Police (Tom Finn) sez his officers have better things to do.
I conceal carry regularly in BC and I've open carried there as well while grabbing a burger with a group of other shooters on the way home from the BC Rifle and Pistol Club. No big deal.

jpa
09-09-2008, 21:07
Yeah, John. That's the ordinance.
Now, for the reality check. Dave Olsen (city attorney) sez the ordinance is still enforceable but the Chief of Police (Tom Finn) sez his officers have better things to do.
I conceal carry regularly in BC and I've open carried there as well while grabbing a burger with a group of other shooters on the way home from the BC Rifle and Pistol Club. No big deal.

That's exactly what I heard from a ccw instructor who knows a bunch of NLV cops. Sure there's an ordinance prohibiting carrying deadly weapons, but they are very judicious in using it. They reserve it for the dirtbag gangbanger that they need something to stop him for. They don't want to use it on joe citizen who is going to get the NRA and every other law-abiding citizen behind him to either get the law repealed or challenge it in court. I've never gone into BC without at least one gun on my person. Not because it's an unsafe town, but because I'm usually going to the range and I have my carry gun too.

Remember also that a lot of the laws we're fighting are in place because the sheriffs and chiefs supported them or fought their repeal.

Nickmimi
09-22-2008, 20:06
Could not get the day to attend. Can someone who attended give me an update. thanks

jpa
09-22-2008, 20:19
Check here
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921835

Nickmimi
09-24-2008, 09:55
Thanks