Army makes it official: Green Class As done [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Army makes it official: Green Class As done

GreenBeret1631
08-20-2008, 16:06
Army makes it official: Green Class As done

By Gina Cavallaro - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Aug 20, 2008 9:24:47 EDT

The days of the green Class As are over.

The Armys plan to make dress blues the only Army Service Uniform has been approved and soldiers who own the uniform are encouraged to begin wearing it now, the Army announced Wednesday.

The move to eliminate the green uniform is designed to streamline soldiers clothing bags while modernizing the way the traditional blue uniform is worn.

The new wear policy was announced Wednesday in an Army-wide message from Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey and Sgt. Maj. of the Army Kenneth Preston.

Link:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/08/army_newblueuniform_082008w/

tc556guy
08-20-2008, 17:54
Anytime they make a major uniform change, they should be providing the new uniform. I have less than 2 years to go; I'll be damned if I'm dropping hundreds of bucks on a new uniform I'll only wear a couple of times.

Biscuitsjam
08-20-2008, 20:34
We have guys that graduated from BASIC within the last six months, and they were issued Class A uniforms...

The Blues are decent looking uniforms (if you want to look like an 1860s U.S. Army soldier)

eisman
08-21-2008, 22:53
Of course, they're changing the Blues too!

And blousing those pants looks purely stupid!

Tx-G30
08-22-2008, 09:33
lol i think i've worn my class A's maybe a total of 5 times in 10 years - each time on a payday.

GreenBeret1631
08-22-2008, 11:33
The Blues are decent looking uniforms (if you want to look like an 1860s U.S. Army soldier)

That is the very point of the Army's Blue uniform and always has been. The US Army started out in our Revolutionary War with a Blue uniform, which soldiers fought in. Our uniforms remained blue through all of our wars and campaigns, (Mexico, Civil War and the Indian wars.)

We switched to other colors in the Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, and Korea where Khaki or OD uniforms were worn. Keep in mind that most of our early uniforms were used in battle as well as dress to include (WWI, WWII and Korea.)

The Greens came out in post Vietnam Era and lasted until now; however, we have had a Blue Dress uniform, as well as a Blue and a White Mess Dress uniform for decades. As a matter of fact, there also was a White Dress uniform (Tropical wear) until just recently. It has been phased out.

The Army Blue uniform is our traditional Army uniform and that is why we are returning to it. All Armies and military units thrive on their traditions and history and they are part of the esprit de corps of any good military unit.

Any professional soldier, should take pride in his uniform(s) and the traditions of his Army down to the unit he serves in.

Here is some info from the Army on the changes!:

http://www.marlowwhite.com/army/uniforms/service-dress-blue/asu-wear-policy.html

GreenBeret1631
08-22-2008, 11:45
Of course, they're changing the Blues too!

[QUOTE]And blousing those pants looks purely stupid!

If you read the announcement, you would have noticed that only people who wear the Maroon, Tan and Green beret as well as MP's (on duty) will be authorized to blouse their boots.

Except for the MPs, the blousing of 'Jump boots,' for Airborne and/or Paratrooper's has been a tradition since the Airborne was created. Of course all of the berets that were mentioned, are worn by Airborne soldiers.

So, 'LEGs,' don't have to worry about blousing their boots, as they (You?) will not be authorized to do so. ;)

deadday
08-22-2008, 12:34
[QUOTE=eisman;11118663]Of course, they're changing the Blues too!

If you read the announcement, you would have noticed that only people who wear the Maroon, Tan and Green beret as well as MP's (on duty) will be authorized to blouse their boots.

Except for the MPs, the blousing of 'Jump boots,' for Airborne and/or Paratrooper's has been a tradition since the Airborne was created. Of course all of the berets that were mentioned, are worn by Airborne soldiers.

So, 'LEGs,' don't have to worry about blousing their boots, as they (You?) will not be authorized to do so. ;)

The important thing is, have they authorized the Stetson and Spurs for wear with the ASU yet? Last I checked, they still hadn't...

drerw

GreenBeret1631
08-22-2008, 15:31
The important thing is, have they authorized the Stetson and Spurs for wear with the ASU yet? Last I checked, they still hadn't...

Sorry! I doubt that they ever will do that, except for ceremonial occasions, and the 1st Cavalry's Horse detachment.

I also would suspect that Stetsons and Spurs would be worn at some Cavalry units 'Dine Ins,' Reunions, etc.

My first Division in the Army was the 1st Cavalry Division, both the 7th and 5th Cavalry Regiments. :supergrin:

matsig
08-22-2008, 15:33
I like everything but the white shirt. No matter what I am doing I can get a white shirt filthy.

I actually dred the fast approaching day that my rank requires me to wear a white shirt(Fire Dept).

eisman
08-23-2008, 01:13
I understand the who and why of the bloused trousers. But with Blues it purely looks stupid.

Some traditions should go away or be modified. Just like Stetsons and spurs. And Armors black berets. And a bunch of others that have faded away do to a lack of usefulness and a change in uniforms, culture, and style.

Mess dress is gone, and that's been a tradition for about 8 times the length of blousing the boots. And seriously, if you have to wear your trousers that way for people to know your status or affiliation it's not a good thing.

Biscuitsjam
08-23-2008, 10:14
I don't understand:

1. Why the white shirt?

2. Why the stupid-looking belly patch?

3. Why the army is spending money on this?

4. Why the army expects individual soldiers to spend money on this?

5. Why the army allowed retard-blousing of the boots?

6. Why the army won't officially acknowledge spurs or stetsons (it's in the Soldier's Guide and elsewhere in army manuals, but not in AR 670-1)?

7. Why the army picked two jacked-up individuals to model their uniforms?

And, as a Southerner, I don't want to look like a Union Army soldier.

deadday
08-23-2008, 10:19
I don't understand:

1. Why the white shirt?
Because it's dressier than the green shirts..
Because somebody with stars on his shoulders thought it looked good
3. Why the army is spending money on this?
Why wouldn't they? There's nothing else going on in the world, I mean, it's not like we are at war or anything...:upeyes:
4. Why the army expects individual soldiers to spend money on this?
Because they are dellusional and think that we make more than enough money to happily spend a couple hundred bucks a year on new uniforms...
5. Why the army allowed retard-blousing of the boots?
Because every time they've tried to do away with it some General with with jumps wings throws a **** fit...
6. Why the army won't officially acknowledge spurs or stetsons (it's in the Soldier's Guide and elsewhere in army manuals, but not in AR 670-1)?
Because the Cavalry is the red-headed bastard step-child of the Army..Same reason they took away our black berets...
Probably GO aides...

And, as a Southernor, I don't want to look like a Union Army soldier.
Agreed, but unfortunately, they won...

drew.

Biscuitsjam
08-23-2008, 10:48
Oh hell, glocktalk won't let me post the picture I wanted...
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/2042/motivator1193903fl3.jpg

No idea why it does that sometimes.

GreenBeret1631
08-23-2008, 11:50
I understand the who and why of the bloused trousers. But with Blues it purely looks stupid.

Some traditions should go away or be modified. Just like Stetsons and spurs. And Armors black berets. And a bunch of others that have faded away do to a lack of usefulness and a change in uniforms, culture, and style.

[QUOTE]Mess dress is gone, and that's been a tradition for about 8 times the length of blousing the boots. And seriously, if you have to wear your trousers that way for people to know your status or affiliation it's not a good thing.

I don't know where you get your info, but it's WRONG! :rofl:

The Army's Mess Dress uniforms are alive and well! There is no currant plan to do away with them either! They are the Army's Formal wear and are used for occasions wear civilians would be dressed in a Tux! (You know Black Tie or White Tie Formal occasions.)

Actually, there are two of them! Blue Mess Dress and *White Mess Dress. There are also two variations within the two uniforms for black tie and white tie affairs. (White Vest & White Bow tie for White tie occasions.)

* Some confusion came about on the White Mess Dress, uniform when it was announced that the White Dress uniform was being discontinued. This was another uniform all together, seldom seen outside of real tropical areas like Panama, etc.

BTW: Bloused boots nor Berets are not worn with any of the variations of the Mess Dress uniforms. :supergrin:

Soldiers under the rank of SFC (Or so) need not purchase or wear the Mess Dress uniforms. There is a provision for all EM to wear the new Class 'A' Blue uniform with a black bow tie for Formal occasions. The full size regular medals and badges must be worn for formal wear. No ribbons or mini-medals.

Most career senior NCOs will purchase a Blue Mess dress. In todays Army, there are many more formal occasions and need for such dress.

Note: This is much like when Greens were worn, all EM were authorized to wear a white shirt with Black bow tie on formal affairs. Most commands would frown on senior NCOs not having Blues or Mess Dress for Formals like Dine-Ins, etc.

My understanding on the whys of Bloused boots, Berets, Combat patches, Overseas stripe's, etc. was they were asked for, by the majority of troops, when they were polled.

The first versions that were discussed, did away with ALL berets with the Class A's, No combat or unit patches, no overseas stripes, etc. In other words pretty much the same restrictions on the Blues before these changes.

GreenBeret1631
08-23-2008, 12:04
Biscuitsjam:

Live with it! Quit :crying:

Army blue as a uniform color traces its origins back to the National blue first worn by Soldiers in the Continental Army of 1779. "World-class Soldiers deserve a simplified, quality uniform. The blue Army service uniform is a traditional uniform that is consistent with the Army's most honored traditions,"

Long before Confederate gray Southerners worn the Army Blue, even General Lee!

Get over it WE lost! :wavey:

Biscuitsjam
08-23-2008, 12:06
Yeah yeah, I know.

If the new uniform isn't required before 2014, I won't pay money for one before 2014.

APD
08-23-2008, 12:14
Yeah yeah, I know.

If the new uniform isn't required before 2014, I won't pay money for one before 2014.

Do what we used to do, just force some of your new guys to go AWOL by scaring the crapola out of them and take all of their TA-50 when they go. Problem solved.:supergrin:

GreenBeret1631
08-23-2008, 12:25
I do wish they would have found better models for both uniforms.

The 82nd Airborne SGM with the Class 'B' uniform, sure doesn't make a good model!

IMO there will be minor adjustments in the wearing of both the Class 'A' and 'B' uniform. Like many here I'm not in favor of the 'White' shirt with the Class 'B' uniform.

I wonder why they didn't design a shirt, the same color as the trousers. Such a shirt in that color could be made out of the same tropical worsted wool of the old khaki TW shirts. Such a shirt with (military creases pressed in) would look a lot better and stay looking better a lot longer than that white shirt.

I can understand the desire to keep the combat patch as well as unit patches, etc. I don't like the placement they came up with though. Keep them on the breast pocket area or just sew them on just like other uniforms.

As for the bloused boots, as a long time Paratrooper, Ranger and Special Forces soldier I understand the why and reasons behind granting that privilege to those that wear the Maroon, Tan and Green berets.

I'm very happy with that decision, as I'm sure most that are Airborne Professional soldiers are!

You LEGs will just have to suck it up! :tongueout: :rofl:

torrejon224
08-23-2008, 14:08
About time you folks figured out that Air Force blue is supreme to Army green!!

Sgt_Gold
08-24-2008, 11:07
It appears that the one big change between the pickle suit and the new ASU is the elimination of shoulder sleve unit insignia. Service and overseas stripes are still going to be authorized. The white shirt is a vast improvement ofer the proposed grey one, but khaki would have been better. I'm relieved that personell on jump status are going to be able to blouse their boots. MP's are always going to be able to wear bloused boots because we enforce the regs. :supergrin:

I can understand the desire to keep the combat patch as well as unit patches, etc. I don't like the placement they came up with though. Keep them on the breast pocket area or just sew them on just like other uniforms.

As for the bloused boots, as a long time Paratrooper, Ranger and Special Forces soldier I understand the why and reasons behind granting that privilege to those that wear the Maroon, Tan and Green berets.

I'm very happy with that decision, as I'm sure most that are Airborne Professional soldiers are!

You LEGs will just have to suck it up! :tongueout: :rofl:

SASSGlock2
08-24-2008, 11:59
Durn! They look like they go to some third rate military prep school.

GreenBeret1631
08-25-2008, 16:12
The Army now has an Official website devoted to the Blue uniform changes.: :upeyes:

http://www.army.mil/asu/

MP1SG
08-25-2008, 18:07
I don't understand:

1. Why the white shirt?

Agree with these three

Yep that's a butt ugly couple of soldiers.

Meat-Hook
08-27-2008, 19:04
I dont like these uniforms.

To be honest,...I loathed the day when they made us get rid
of the ((Vietnam era)) Khaki uniform and traded it it for the
((then)) new vomit-lime green shirts.

I remember when they first issued those things. At first you
were not allowed to wear your ribbons or wings. Which p***d
us off even more.

"The 82nd Airborne SGM with the Class 'B' uniform, sure doesn't make a good model!"

Has nothing to do with the 82nd Airborne, 1631. ((just standing up for my Division)) ;)

You could put anybody in that uniform,..the outcome would be the same ...and since were talking about the United States Army,...we will. All shapes,..all sizes. By the 100,000 of soldiers.

Especially the white uniform. I always associate white in Military terms with
surrender. U.S. Army flag exempted, ((of course)). What I associate with the military white uniform is the Navy.

We are not the Navy. We are not Pirates of the 7 seas with eye patches and parrots on our shoulders :). We are the United States Army. In my worthless opinion,..Green is the color of the Army. Always has been and always will be.

And speaking of berets,..being prior 82nd, that there is my sorest point when it comes to uniforms. Berets. I fume every time I see Legs wearing a beret. Thanks to the Clinton years and General Shinseki? he was the Clinton drone that made it mandatory that ALL, US Army soldiers wear the beret. Not only are they required to wear the beret, but they are required to wear ((back then)) the Black Ranger beret:steamed: And Shinseki justification for this madness?....."to improve morale"?

The beret belongs to the Airborne. Period. Its historical lineage from the British paratroopers wearing their maroon berets at Arnhem while facing the SS, to the sand colored berets of the SAS, to when President Kennedy authorized the Green Beret at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Theres no way the entire United States Army should be wearing an "airborne" beret. What is this madness?

Thanks to Clinton, he signed the Executive Order that required all items used by the armed forces be made in the US..gone. Now our soldiers wear berets that say: "Made in China".

Every time I see a uniform change within the United States Army I become suspicious. Especially when they are ugly. And most of the time its true.

What I seek out is CONTRACTS. Thats right,.start searching and seaking whos palms are getting greased with $$$$ Dollars $$$. Money.

Theres where youll find the true answer. Uniform change my A**.

Its all about M O N E Y! period. Whos making Bank?

Like the saying goes: "Whats the root of all Evil?..............Money".

When was the last time you saw the U.S. Marines change unifrom???

I hate sounding like a Communist, but for one minute------

Eisenhower: Beware,..."The military-industrial complex"
-----
MH.

deadday
08-27-2008, 20:09
When was the last time you saw the U.S. Marines change unifrom???

A couple years back when they switched to MARPAT, then a few months later when they switched again to D-MARPAT....

drew

krl45
08-27-2008, 20:59
Old Meat-hook has just about hit it on the head.

brianbat420
08-27-2008, 21:53
Man I thought we (The AF) were getting some bad looking uniforms. I always thought the Army uniforms looked WAY better than ours and you are getting rid of it. I just wish they would stop with all of these uniform changes. They site tradition but how can you develope a tradition if you are constantly changing everything?

I want to join the Marines for the coolest uniforms that dont change. ;-)

eisman
08-28-2008, 13:12
I don't know where you get your info, but it's WRONG!

The Army's Mess Dress uniforms are alive and well! There is no currant plan to do away with them either!

"ARLINGTON, Va. -- It's official: The Army's blue Class A uniform will become the single approved Army Service Uniform, triumphing over the less popular dress greens and rarely seen mess-dress whites.
The decision was announced Wednesday in an all-Army message from Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey and Sgt. Maj. of the Army Kenneth Preston.

The greens and whites are being phased out over the next six years, with the Army mandating dress blues as the exclusive Class A uniform by 2014."

Feel free to kiss my Ass!

GreenBeret1631
08-29-2008, 13:52
The greens and whites are being phased out over the next six years, with the Army mandating dress blues as the exclusive Class A uniform by 2014.

eisman:

The above quote is correct, the whites mentioned here is the Class A, White dress uniform. The Blue and the White mess Dress uniforms will not be done away with according to the ARs.

The Army's Dress Blue uniform will be the new Class 'A' uniform; however, both Mess Dress uniforms will be optional wear for formal occasions. I say optional, because there is a variation of the Dress Blue uniform that can be worn on formal occasions as well.

So, I standby what I said.

Check this website for a picture of the 'White' uniform in question.:

http://books.google.com/books?id=paTolFtLi28C&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=Army+White%22+uniform&source=web&ots=VdjISjY6IW&sig=lNQiue2_DwdX9IC8r5SnoHNtdPw&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPA34,M1

ranger88
09-02-2008, 13:01
Personally I like the switch to dress blues in concept. I don't like the fact that unit patches will not be worn on the shoulders. I always took great pride in having 82d Abn Divsion bookends.

A beret will not keep your head warm when it's cold, dry when it's raining, and won't keep your ears or neck from getting scorched when it's sunny. It was once said that the only thing a beret is good for is puking into on the way to the DZ. Having said that, I was very proud to wear my maroon beret for the 4 years that I was able.