Between WinUpdate & FreeAVG I'm like an IT Department! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Between WinUpdate & FreeAVG I'm like an IT Department!

Thirties
08-21-2008, 07:34
What do you guys do to keep up with windows Update and FreeAVG Updates?

I have a "slow-end" DSL connection now. Before, with dial-up, I hardly ever took the time to update -- used to take the laptop to the public library.

Now that I'm doing it every day, I'm wondering if my strategy is the best. I do it manually once or twice per day, on those days that I use the computer.

Jtemple
08-21-2008, 07:45
All of my machines are set to notify me when windows updates are downloaded and ready to install. They download automatically.

AVG is set to update itself automatically once per day.

After they are set like that, I leave them alone, aside from installing windows updates.

silentpoet
08-22-2008, 07:08
I never had windows auto update set to automatically download. I always did it manually. Avg, once a day download.

betyourlife
08-31-2008, 13:19
I auto update mine.

Sgt. Schultz
08-31-2008, 16:08
Be aware that Windows Automatic updates can cause more problems than it fixes and you can end up installing programs that you donít want Ö IE 7 wasn't a "patch" yet M$ forced it on users via Automatic Updates. I think that patching your system with the latest security updates IS very important, however I recommend that you find out what updates are going onto your system BEFORE they are installed, that way you will have an idea of what caused a problem when you find that your computer is behaving differently. It's a lot easier to remove an harmful update if you know what it was that you've just installed.

As for AVG Ö set it and forget it!

Thirties
08-31-2008, 19:26
As for AVG, set it and forget it . . .

How do you do that without turning your computer on in time? Then you are not exactly forgetting it. I update manually once per day, if i'm using the computer. some days i do not use it.

Dandapani
08-31-2008, 19:43
Fedora Linux. :whistling:

Sgt. Schultz
08-31-2008, 19:58
As for AVG, set it and forget it . . .

How do you do that without turning your computer on in time? Then you are not exactly forgetting it. I update manually once per day, if i'm using the computer. some days i do not use it.Configure the settings under Update Manager or Tools - Advance Settings.

ETA: "Run on computer startup if task is missed" ... I believe that this is the default setting.

silentpoet
08-31-2008, 23:14
Configure the settings under Update Manager or Tools - Advance Settings.

ETA: "Run on computer startup if task is missed" ... I believe that this is the default setting.

Yeah that's how it was when I ran AVG. Right now I am trying out Clamwin just to see how well it works. It was on maximum PC cd so I was curious.

But I agree auto updates can bite you more often than it can help you. Plus you can avoid alot of bloat. No need for outlook updates if you run thunderbird or if you just use web based email. I just got my lap top and it had SP2 on it so there were near a 100 critical updates, including the aforementioned IE. I checked the box that said never show me this option again. And now it has a dire warning at the top of the update page.