Visual BASIC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Visual BASIC

gwalchmai
08-21-2008, 09:40
I have an opportunity to develop an application and the client would like it done in VB. I am a Delphi programmer, and have dabbled in VB from time to time, but I think this would be a good time to learn VB and do this thing.

My question - what is the latest version of VB that would work best for developing an app to manage Office docs, and could anyone recommend any good training resources (books, vids, tutorial, etc)?

Thanks!

jeanjvr
08-21-2008, 12:29
You can download Visual Studio Express 2008. It's got a new "version" of VB.NET that runs on the .net framework.

As I understand it Visual Studio Express 2008 is free, even for commercial use. I downloaded the whole thing (c#, C++, web developer, sql server express) and it was about 1GB.

gwalchmai
08-21-2008, 14:16
Thanks. That looks good. I'm going to d/l it tonight. ;)

WhatYouWant
08-21-2008, 18:58
You can download Visual Studio Express 2008. It's got a new "version" of VB.NET that runs on the .net framework.

As I understand it Visual Studio Express 2008 is free, even for commercial use. I downloaded the whole thing (c#, C++, web developer, sql server express) and it was about 1GB.

Make sure it actually contains the ability to interface with Office. The free versions are limited. I have not really looked too hard into them since I use the full version.

Toyman
08-22-2008, 06:19
Although you probably won't need any help, let me know if you do. I used to develop in VB back around 2000 and do VB support at MS. I now develop entirely in Delphi.