Have you ever had too defend yourself with force? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had too defend yourself with force?

killersrt
08-21-2008, 09:52
I was just curious, how many people have actually had to shoot someone in a self defense situation? Most of the time, the sight of the person and/or gun will have the intruder running or at least cease to be a threat, but has anyone actually had it come to the point of life or death and chose to shoot the intruder? This question is more directed to the average joe and not so much as the LEO's in the line of duty.

*mods* I cant seem to find out how to make the thread a poll, so if there is any way one of you could make the poll with a "yes" and "no" answer selection that would be greatly appreciated :wavey:

SW342
09-26-2008, 08:30
Nope, and hope I never do.........

hagar
09-26-2008, 09:30
I did beat the crap out of a guy with a Wilson T2000 tennis racket that was on drugs and tried to rob me when I was 17 or so...:whistling:

JimBianchi
09-27-2008, 02:04
Not yet, but almost.

A few years ago I chose not to shoot a guy who was 3-4 feet away, with a bottle, coming at me fast.(most here disagreed with my choice. They were not wrong)

I made a snap decision, took my hand off my gun and I took him to the ground and beat the snot out of him.

He hurt me some, but I drove home,(then to a doctor the next day) but the cops took him away in an ambulance.

Cops knew I was carrying and said I should have shot him, no questions asked.

It took more than a year to go to court, he got a year, he gets out in a few weeks.

I wonder if he wants a re-match?

Today with my health the way it is, I'd have to make a different choice.

Hopefully I'll never have to.

Minuteman
09-27-2008, 03:34

"I hurt somebody's feelings once."

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews35/ronin%20blu-ray/IMG_2397.jpg

BManoftheyear
09-28-2008, 08:25
I hope I never have to but I will if the situation at hand calls for it

Annoyedgrunt
09-30-2008, 15:19

"I hurt somebody's feelings once."

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews35/ronin%20blu-ray/IMG_2397.jpg

I knew that was coming...

blackbmw
09-30-2008, 15:40
had a friend who didnt show up at an outing that was planned, called her and couldnt get ahold of her, went to her house, knocked on her door and she came out and said "leave now or he will hurt me" that wasnt happening as i had her current boyfriend with me. so wanna-be G-unit comes running out acting like a hoodrat should(black guy) got mouthy, swung on me, i swung back and connected, he ran downstairs. i thought it was over, we sat up there and talked to her for a minute telling her to call the cops as he broke into her apartment and waited for her, she wouldnt. so i said screw this im leaving. started walking back to my car when this idiot comes running up the stairs with a 10 inch knife, i didnt even give him an opportunity. 1 shot and the fight was done. i spent 3 hours in jail while the scene was investigated, no charges, but lost the gun for 2 months.

cookekdjr
09-30-2008, 20:26
Stopped my own carjacking once. Didn't have to shoot, but i got my point across...

bfg1971
10-23-2008, 21:14
I had a guy pull a gun on me once; fortunately he shoved it up nice and close to me so I was able to take it from him. He suffered minor injury and after unloading the gun I put it into a campfire that was nearby. Stupid thug didn't need it back and I didn't want to be caught with it if the police showed up. They never did show up as far as I know.

thirdruffian1
11-25-2008, 04:52
I had a drunk jerk open the door of my truck while I was at a stoplight. As soon as he yanked open the door, he said "Give me five dollars for parking here!" As I shoved the 1911 forward toward his face, the barrel hit him square in the forehead... HARD. Hard enough to sit him on his butt in the middle of a city street.

Last I saw of him he was still sitting on his butt looking bewildered while watching me drive away.

Sometimes I wonder if he is still doing freelance parking enforcement.:rofl:

SCmasterblaster
02-20-2009, 17:33
Closest I ever came to using my G17 defensively was when a pit bull dog leaped out a car's passenger window and came at my throat. As I was looking into his growling wide-open mouth, I managed to get my G17 out and ready, when I noticed that the dog's mouth was kept just far enough away from my throat by the fact that the dog's window was not open enough. That is what saved the dog's life!

MavsX
02-20-2009, 19:42
had a friend who didnt show up at an outing that was planned, called her and couldnt get ahold of her, went to her house, knocked on her door and she came out and said "leave now or he will hurt me" that wasnt happening as i had her current boyfriend with me. so wanna-be G-unit comes running out acting like a hoodrat should(black guy) got mouthy, swung on me, i swung back and connected, he ran downstairs. i thought it was over, we sat up there and talked to her for a minute telling her to call the cops as he broke into her apartment and waited for her, she wouldnt. so i said screw this im leaving. started walking back to my car when this idiot comes running up the stairs with a 10 inch knife, i didnt even give him an opportunity. 1 shot and the fight was done. i spent 3 hours in jail while the scene was investigated, no charges, but lost the gun for 2 months.

wait..so the dude was killed?

Eagle22
04-09-2009, 14:53
Yes - Put that guy right on the ground, and broke his wrist in the process.

A few quick marshal arts moves are always a good thing. Along with some good negotiating skills.

voyager4520
05-01-2009, 05:52
Almost had to stab someone when I was 19. Was walking through an alley to the liquor store, a block away from my house, and this guy walking the other way told me "give me $20" and I said "suck my ****" and he moved closer, I pulled my knife out, and he said "woah I was just messin around, take it easy" and then he kept walking the way he was in the first place. Now I'm 22 and I have a G23 I don't have to rely on a knife for self defense and risk someone then pulling a gun on me and possibly shooting me.

Centinul1911
06-08-2009, 20:28
Yes, but not with a gun.
It was many years ago, me and a friend of mine were sleeping over at our girlfriends house, It was my girlfriends house and his girlfriend was staying over that night.
He got up in the middle of the night to get some smokes (did not wake any one to let us know he was going) and got jumped on the way back. He called the house from a pay phone at 7-11 (this was a few years before cell phones) to tell us what happened, I drove down to pick him up but could not find him any where. So I started walking, and was jumped by the same guy that jumped him. Though I faired much better than my friend.
I eventually found him and he was in very bad shape, I took him home (which is what he wanted) and his mother took him to the hospital.

neonhomer
06-14-2009, 10:27
Didn't shoot anyone... didn't even carry back then... but me and a couple of friends were out riding our motorcycles. It was about 1am and we were on our way home when my friend's bike died. We pulled over in a closed for the night gas station. He was sitting down working on his bike, and I was over with the rest of the group, making fun of him having to work on his bike, when this guy walked up and asked my friend for a smoke. My friend said he didn't have anymore, and went back to working. By this time, me and another guy riding with us were already on our feet and moving toward this guy and my friend.

This guy pulled a knife from his pocket, but never made it any farther than a few inches before he was clocked in the head with a helmet. He fell to the ground. We called the cops, and they called rescue. Don't know what happened to the guy, but after we gave our statements, we were free to go and kept working on the bike.

Finally figured out the problem... the fuel filter plugged up. Took it off, bypassed it, and rode home.

Now I carry a G27 in my truck, and as soon as I get my CWP, I will have it on my person. I just need to find a quicker way to access in when in my truck besides having to reach under the back seat and open the box.

deadday
06-14-2009, 12:05
Yes..

old wanderer
08-09-2009, 22:50
I was walking to my car on the outskirts of a town in Colombia. Walking through the parking lot, I came across a man holding a woman by the throat, shoved up against a car, and trying to smash her face in.

I grabbed this jerk (He only came up to about my chin), and proceeded to abuse his face a bit, then BANG and a bullet goes right by my head, and the woman laying on the ground with a very bloody face says in Spanish.."leave my husband alone". I swung this guy around to act as a shield, and threw him on top of his wife just a she fired again...heard a groan,,,and just walked away.

Poetic justice I thought...(I was carrying a 38 super, but never pulled it).

Gun Shark
08-09-2009, 22:57
no and I hope I never do.

Raven82
09-09-2009, 15:36
About 25 years ago my wife woke me up at about 2am when she heard pieces of glass from our back door dropping on the floor. Pulled my 12 gauge Savage double barreled shotgun (did not have my Walther 40 cal yet) out from under the bed and stood behind a closed door at the end of the hallway and watched the guy unlock our back door through the little broken window. Flipped the safety off and was ready to fire. My son also woke up and walked out in the hall in the line of fire. I flipped the light on and ran towards the door putting my son behind me. The guy breaking in saw me running towards him while aiming both barrels at him. He cut his hand pulling it out the window and while he was jumping our fence I had one chance to shoot and kill him but because he was running away I held my fire and let him run.

SCmasterblaster
09-10-2009, 05:26
About 25 years ago my wife woke me up at about 2am when she heard pieces of glass from our back door dropping on the floor. Pulled my 12 gauge Savage double barreled shotgun (did not have my Walther 40 cal yet) out from under the bed and stood behind a closed door at the end of the hallway and watched the guy unlock our back door through the little broken window. Flipped the safety off and was ready to fire. My son also woke up and walked out in the hall in the line of fire. I flipped the light on and ran towards the door putting my son behind me. The guy breaking in saw me running towards him while aiming both barrels at him. He cut his hand pulling it out the window and while he was jumping our fence I had one chance to shoot and kill him but because he was running away I held my fire and let him run.

You kept your thinking head on amidst a very frightening situation. I am betting that the intruder would not have run off with a mere handgun facing him. Shotguns work!

Armed Infidel
09-28-2009, 23:01
I was just curious, how many people have actually had to shoot someone in a self defense situation?

Yes, but not on this side of the big pond! :whistling:

(You knew that was coming too!)

B27
10-20-2009, 05:02
Once long ago and far away I stupidly held a job as the night manager in a motel in a very bad part of Atlanta (College Park, actually) for six years.

I lost count of the number of times I drew a weapon.

I actually fired a weapon three times.

Once a handgun, and twice a shotgun.

I went to court also three times....all charges dropped...still cost me a fortune in lawyer fees and was not worth it.

DO NOT PULL A TRIGGER UNLESS YOU HAVE ABOUT 10K LYING AROUND YOU CAN SPARE.

Harley Rider 55
10-20-2009, 08:16
About 3 or 4 times a year.

sns3guppy
10-23-2009, 13:44
Yes..

Harley Rider 55
11-09-2009, 16:16
Stopped my own carjacking once. Didn't have to shoot, but i got my point across...
Same here.

smokin762
11-09-2009, 17:32
About 20 years ago, I stopped over at a friend’s house to pick him up to go to the Bar. I parked my truck on the street and went into his house.

While we were talking I heard glass break. I jumped up to look out the front door and seen two teenagers, one had a ball bat and was just walking down the street breaking car windows. Just as I got to the door, I saw him hit my side window. I ran out the door with my friend behind me and we chased the idiots around the block but they got in their car and took off. I did get the license plate number.

I called the cops, they said they would send over a car. My friend and I went outside to check to see if my window was broken, when the teenagers came back around. The passenger leaned out and took a shot at me.

Luckily, he missed. We told the police what happened when they showed up, and the police captain came by a couple minutes later and motioned to me to come over to his car. He told me that the license plate came back to someone in the neighboring city. I never heard anything after that.

I will always remember the captain had his revolver in his lap while we were talking.:dunno:

Foxfire5
11-09-2009, 17:48
Two NVA sappers in 1967 Tuy Hoa, Vietnam. 1911 45 230gr hardball when my Mattel Toy jammed. Shots fired 7 rounds. Range 15 yards. Who said hardball isn't effective?

Philadelphia, Pa three years later.... I was stopped at a traffic light when a guy runs up to my side window yelling "my friend got hit by a car and needs help". So I rolled down my window to ask if I could help out when wham I get sucker punched. So I cussed you SOB and started getting out when my pregnant wife grabbed my arm and clawed me bloody trying to hold me back. I got out but my BHP was in the glove box on the passanger side so I reached behind the front seat and grabbed my two spud wrenches out of my Ironworkers belt bag. I faced him from 15-20 feet away. He had a knife in his hand but when he saw what I had in my hands he turned to run.

I threw the American bridge wrench and it hit him square in the middle of his back to the right of his spine and penetrated about three inches deep into his right lung according to the police report. About six more guys started running towards us from a good enough distance that I was able to jump back in the car (1970 Olds 442) and exit the area quickly. I drove five blocks away and called the police from a corner store.

The police rounded them all up and found out they were the bunch that pulled the same MO on some other people. The dirtbags would trick or drag the guy out of his car, beat him up, steal the car and rape the woman. The cops tracked them all down in no time when we gave them their descriptions. All of them were sent to prison based on our and other victims testimony. Also one of the jerks rolled over on his pals.

Damn I miss that Olds 442.............

jrpro130
11-09-2009, 20:39
Thank god I didn't have to shoot, but yes, I have pulled with intent to stop the threat. The sight of a gun was more than enough for the attacker to comply with the commands of "drop the knife, get down on the ground...do it now!"

SCmasterblaster
11-09-2009, 21:51
Two NVA sappers in 1967 Tuy Hoa, Vietnam. 1911 45 230gr hardball when my Mattel Toy jammed. Shots fired 7 rounds. Range 15 yards. Who said hardball isn't effective?

Philadelphia, Pa three years later.... I was stopped at a traffic light when a guy runs up to my side window yelling "my friend got hit by a car and needs help". So I rolled down my window to ask if I could help out when wham I get sucker punched. So I cussed you SOB and started getting out when my pregnant wife grabbed my arm and clawed me bloody trying to hold me back. I got out but my BHP was in the glove box on the passanger side so I reached behind the front seat and grabbed my two spud wrenches out of my Ironworkers belt bag. I faced him from 15-20 feet away. He had a knife in his hand but when he saw what I had in my hands he turned to run.

I threw the American bridge wrench and it hit him square in the middle of his back to the right of his spine and penetrated about three inches deep into his right lung according to the police report. About six more guys started running towards us from a good enough distance that I was able to jump back in the car (1970 Olds 442) and exit the area quickly. I drove five blocks away and called the police from a corner store.

The police rounded them all up and found out they were the bunch that pulled the same MO on some other people. The dirtbags would trick or drag the guy out of his car, beat him up, steal the car and rape the woman. The cops tracked them all down in no time when we gave them their descriptions. All of them were sent to prison based on our and other victims testimony. Also one of the jerks rolled over on his pals.

Damn I miss that Olds 442.............

WELL DONE, sir. I wish that we had men of such spirit and character running the US Government.

I hope to never have such encounters in MY lifetime.

stengun
11-18-2009, 19:44
Howdy,

Yes.........

Last week we had pork chops and that dang dog thought he was gonna get the last one!:steamed:

If it wasn't for my knee not being 100% because of knee replacement, I would have won!:upeyes:

Paul

stroker
03-27-2010, 06:06
Yes,12-19-95- used a 18 1/2 mossberg. Sent one to the graveyard & one to the local hospital with 2 rounds of 000 buckshot in his abdomen & after he got out he recived 2-10 in Texas Department of Correction. Hope to GOD that it never happens to me or anyone I know

Thunderbolt56
06-16-2010, 06:35
Only once and that was a catalyst to my getting my carry permit.

It was about 8pm on Friday eve. I was 20 years old and heading out to get my date and a good time on the town. I stopped at a local convenience store (actually in a decent neighborhood) to get a pack of smokes. When I came out there was a dude sitting in my car with the door open as his buddy stood next to him.

I was taken off guard and already sort of pissed. As I approached them, the dude sitting in my car commented on how nice it was (1970 302 boss straight body mustang) and proceeded to ask me for the keys. Without a second thought, I slammed the door on his legs and got sucker punched by his buddy. With one ugly screaming in pain (yeah, his leg was broken) the other ugly and I were rolling around getting all bloody with neither one getting the upper hand. Another bystander came out of the store and helped me out with the second bum and the cops (who were called by the store clerk) showed up in about 10 minutes.

There weren't cell phones back then either, so I called my date and told her I would be late. I went back home, cleaned up and was on my way. A subpoena and court date 3 months later and they got some light time and that was that.

Makes me sound like a badass, but it shook me up enough to apply for my permit the same week I turned 21. I had hunted and shot my whole life but never even considered the need to carry. That was 25 years ago.

stroker
08-22-2010, 06:46
Nevermind I have said enough

jdavionic
08-22-2010, 06:51
Yes, and I had to add these words to get it long enough to post.

Glock1911
09-16-2010, 13:31
I've had to pull a gun three times, but never fired once. I hope for it to remain so.

jdh31313
10-06-2010, 02:08
Lots of war stories from working 4 1/2 years in a maximum security prison, outside of work no...but came close once. In 1999, I was leaving Hard Rock in Atlanta walking toward a parking garage when a homeless guy tried to sell me a newspaper which was clearly marked “Free”. He said he was homeless and attempting to raise money to purchase blankets for the homeless. I kindly told him I was not interested and walked away at which point he begins to follow me, my wife & two year old daughter into the garage. I told my wife to walk ahead of me with my daughter, I pulled quickly my weapon from the holster (.38 snubby) and placed it in my hand and into my jacket pocket while walking toward my vehicle. I don’t know if he ever saw the weapon but he lost interest pretty quickly at this point turned around and disappeared back outside. He might have only followed us 100 feet but I really thought I was going to have to fight him that night.

carguy2244
10-16-2010, 11:35
Yes. 1985.
I was visiting a store owned by a friend. Armed robbed enters, he momentarily turned, leaving me out of his line of sight. I fired 2 357s COM out of a Colt Lawman.
Robber lived, went to prison, don't know how long.
I was detained, charged, released, charges dropped. Cost $3000 for a lawyer, and the Colt was siezed.
Other violent encounters that were met with force, but never with gun fire.

Glockin21
02-15-2011, 11:33
I cant even count the times i have been in a street fight,but as far as pulling my gun and shooting someone it has only happened once.I dont care to elaborate though...

VinnieD
04-21-2011, 05:11
I'm a pretty big guy, so generally I don't have to actually defend myself all that often. Most people see 6'2" 200+lb. bushy eyebrows and ponytail and walk wide around. If I do see someone approaching, looking a bit too eager, I just start reaching for my knife. Generally they catch the hint and turn away by the time I've made eye contact. (Don't have a CCW permit yet. They're rather pricy here and I'm still working on getting one.)

However once about 12 years ago I did actually have to back it up. I had the odd misfortune of picking that one day to not have a knife on me, and two redneck little punks thought they had something to prove. One pulls a knife, and I'd like to say that had he not, it would just be one more brawl, but when you bring a weapon in, I get MEAN.

Thankfully a little combination of martial arts, and good old American fighting dirty dispatched them. I kick knifeboy right straight in the family jewels, twist the knife out of his hand and throw it away, give him a good elbow in the spleen, a chop to the throat, hip toss him on the ground and stomp a few mudholes in him for good measure before his buddy knows what's happening.

The knifeless buddy turned out to be a bit quicker, forcing me to lock him up. Eventually after he breaks out of a chokehold I finally get him on the ground in a full nelson with my knees pinned against his back, leaving him pretty much helpless. As there were no phones, and no one around, I really didn't see a way of getting out of it. Thankfully he started begging, and at the time being a bit more softhearted than I am today, agreed to let him go. Redneck troublemakers beat a hasty retreat, I straighten my shirt and calmly continue on my way.

I haven't really had to dirty my knuckles since. Most BGs just don't target a guy like me. Doesn't mean I don't keep my eyes open. Though It's amazing just how many of our stories involve bad guys picking the wrong person to pull a knife on.

KTM950S
04-27-2011, 23:43
In reality I have no recollection of ever shooting and killing someone. My dreams are a different story. Whether my dreams are an extension of real life traumatic events is another matter that I leave for dissociative amnesia experts.:)

rhikdavis
04-27-2011, 23:50
Worked at a stop n rob.....some guy got mouthy and I told him to GTFO...he noticed my .357 and said what are you going to do , shoot me...I said you ain't worth the bullet and chased him out with an axe handle.

Hoonz
06-01-2011, 06:28
screw it

Rail Driver
06-13-2011, 23:31
Yes, I have.

MrGlock21
03-24-2012, 19:34
Wrist lock.
And when working security, force continuum, I had to use pepper spray and stun gun. Had to pull firearm once but suspect dropped knife immediately.

NEOH212
04-10-2012, 02:49
Yes. A dog attacked me. One shot was fired from the Glock 27 I was carrying at the time. There were no charges filed but it took forever for me to get my gun back.

SCmasterblaster
05-04-2012, 14:53
not once, not even close. But the day may be coming, and I am ready with my Gen 3 G17 and its 115gr LHP +p+ loads.

FloorPoor
02-17-2013, 23:16
Thankfully, no.

Batesmotel
02-17-2013, 23:44
Did not shoot but beat a junkie with a Winchester 12 gauge as he was kicking in my door.

Tinus de Jager
02-18-2013, 02:03
Yes, but not against someone. In Africa, you sometimes get "somethings" that are dangerous too.

blackbmw
03-19-2013, 11:29
wait..so the dude was killed?
No. Strange thing happens when you pull the trigger, Almost no noise is heard and the adrenaline dump had me shaking everywhere, top that with a short barreled .40 and that center mass shot went low left....into his leg. He just stopped and stared at me. He didnt know he was hit but the sound made him stop. He was about 10 yards away when i fired. Maybe 15. He was charged with unlawful use of a weapon. Get this.....she bailed him out of jail!! Then he put her in the trunk of her own car and drove 200 miles away in a drunken stupor saying he was gonna kill her. I stopped talking to her after this happened.

kostnerave
03-24-2013, 17:20
1966 Tuy Hoa, Vietnam was a very active place while I was there. Same kind of thing happen to me but my M-16 worked.

tenforme
03-25-2013, 15:03
Back in the old country, I came across a guy beating the hell out of a woman. I pulled him off and gave him a pretty thorough demonstration of what being beaten felt like.

When I had him suitably "subdued" I called an ambulance (for the woman) and the police for the guy.

Got a nice thank you from the police and the woman (his ex).

A good grounding in martial arts is probably as good as a weapon in CQC.

About 10 years later I tried to stop another guy from beating his girlfriend and came close to getting a bottle in the face from the girlfriend and had to subdue them both - no good deed remains unpunished I guess :shocked:

Road Dog
03-25-2013, 19:47
I was about to be beaten by an irate "gentleman" that probably weighed 240 on a light day. There was no doubt about it he was intent on inflicting bodily harm. The "gentleman" got to within 6 or 7 feet of me before he noticed the G23. Without another word he abruptly left and that was fine with me.

kussor
07-04-2013, 20:39
yes, several times, and other times, I came very close to needing the gun, but didn't have one, or other times, were I not 6 ft and 200 lbs of black belt, would have needed the gun.

U get "somethings' here, too. Every year in the US, about 1 million people are dogbitten,and more die of dog attacks than of the bears everyone seems to be so worried about.