carrying in chapel hill [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : carrying in chapel hill

capnjim01
08-21-2008, 14:37
I have to take my wife to Chapel Hill Medical center tomorrow for some test. I know that Chapel hill is very anti firearms. I was thinking of putting my gun in the trunk before we get to the hospital but does anyone know if i have to actually go onto the UNC campus to get to the medical center. I am sure the university is a no carry zone. any ideas.

Thx-1138
08-21-2008, 15:08
I have to take my wife to Chapel Hill Medical center tomorrow for some test. I know that Chapel hill is very anti firearms. I was thinking of putting my gun in the trunk before we get to the hospital but does anyone know if i have to actually go onto the UNC campus to get to the medical center. I am sure the university is a no carry zone. any ideas.

Have you tried using google maps to check your route and zooming in to see if you go through the campus?

Hospitals are almost universally no-gun zones in NC. Most of them fall under the "educational establishment" prohibition, and the ones that don't are usually conspicuously posted.

Scanner85
08-21-2008, 22:37
The hospital at UNC is on campus so I'd leave my gun in the car if I were you.

capnjim01
08-22-2008, 04:42
thanks i was going to do that anyway I just wasn't sure about haveing a gun on campus

chuckman
08-22-2008, 12:09
Guns are verboten in Chapel Hill and on campus. Big no-no. Locked in trunk will be fine.

Thx-1138
08-22-2008, 13:06
Guns are verboten in Chapel Hill and on campus.

North Carolina preemption laws prevent municipalities from restricting concealed carry, except in their parks and government buildings. Of course, statewide restricted areas apply, such as schools and posted private locations.

See: 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity. (http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/byarticle/chapter_14/article_54b.html)

chuckman
08-22-2008, 13:15
North Carolina preemption laws prevent municipalities from restricting concealed carry, except in their parks and government buildings. Of course, statewide restricted areas apply, such as schools and posted private locations.

See: 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity. (http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/byarticle/chapter_14/article_54b.html)

Yep, true that. The problem with Chapel Hill is that most of its' major roads border the campus and have shared jurisdiction, and campus cops can cite on those roads. I know it is a sticky thicket, but I know of a citation of illegally carrying on one of those border roads. The hospital is entirely within the campus. If you go to the hospital, and must have a gun, lock it in the trunk.

capnjim01
08-22-2008, 15:19
Just got back from Chapel Hill,left the gun in the car everything went ok. funny thing is I could have carried and nobody would have even known. Very relaxed atmosphere I even wandered around in area's that said RESTRICTED and nobody even questioned what I was doing there. really impressed with the Hospital and staff but talk about a soft target. Never was a big Tarheel fan but the hospital is first rate.